Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

This white/black smoke thing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to point out that water is not smoke. Is what's coming out of your exhaust smoke? Or is it thinner?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rt turbo
this isnt totally correct. white can be lean from what ive experienced. but a small amount of white smoke at innitial or early WOT application will somewhat clean out the system and it should go away. black is almost always too rich... or just alot of fuel being thrown in the motor. a whitish-purple or whitish-blue smoke is oil.

oil smoke is not just caused from a worn out motor. if your turbo has bad seals they leak and your turbo blows oil into the motor. when you hvae oil in the smoke from a turbocharged car is ussually from the turbo. when oil burns in the motor it burns when you are off the throttle. when you are accelerating it rarely burns and accumulates in the cylinders.
{off topic} You hang around any of the guys from HorsePower House by chance?

I haven't noticed any smoke from my buddies car since that day. That was about a day or two after he was custom tuned by DynoFLash which is the same as what you have. Me and my buddy are having our cars custom tuned this weekend so I can let you know if I notice anything.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
condinsation (spelling?)
Old Nov 4, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Update.

I now feel it probably is condensation in the exhaust. Even after running it hard today, I shut down for a while and started it up and noticed water droplets in the exhaust tip and when you rev it, it shoots out condensation and leaves carbon spurts on the garage floor.

I live in the desert and did not feel it was humid enough to cause condensation, but it seems there is water in the exhaust path. Maybe becuase the HKS can is tilted up slightly causes it to take a longer time to evap.

The car pulls strong and no sign of a smoke trail behind me at WOT as seen through the mirror. No oil and coolant consumption.

I was concerned with it because the car was thoroughly warmed up and driven at least 30 minutes and my GF noticed a puff of whitish smoke eminate from the tip on acceleration from a stoplight.

Maybe the rush of exhaust gases hitting the condensation caused the small puff that happened on a few occasions that she noticed.

BTW, my mods are listed below. I know there is a slight black puff that comes out when I punch it and I know I should not be running lean.

Last edited by SinCityEvo; Nov 4, 2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the next time your gf notices this white smoke happpen, you should try recreating the situation, and repeating it. If it goes away, you'll know that it's just condensation.

Also, in the 30 minutes of driving prior to this happening, was it city driving or highway driving? EGTs are much higher when you're on the highway and should burn off condensation much faster.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
No drivability issues and it idles fine.

My GF explained it in more detail to me. It's more confusing. Says it happened when accelerating off from a stop, BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. Like little puffs of whitish smoke that lasts she said through the RPM band of at least 1st gear.

But no signs of it at cruising speed. I punched it in 3rd and 4th and she said a puff of black smoke was seen. I know that's normal for a turbo car to run a little rich up top.

I'm flashed and custom street tuned and was at a 11:1 A/F, but that was before the high flow cat.

I have no soot on the rear bumper either, just inside the exhaust tip.

I'm hoping to have a fellow Evo bud meet up with me tomorrow and he can see what it looks like and maybe we'll switch cars and i can see firsthand.
I think that's condensation - my wife spotted similar things on my other cars as well. I don't think you need to worry about it....Plus, if you are not smelling burnt oil or maple syrup (eg, coolant) I think you are fine.

Brent
Old Nov 4, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Temp was about 55 degrees, not very cold.
55 is cold enough to create condensation ESP after the car has been warmed up...

The only whitish smoke to worry about is if it has a bluish tinge to it plus if you roll down the windows you will get a whiff of the burning oil smell - it's very distinct...

I think we can safely say it's condensation....

Brent
Old Nov 4, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I think the next time your gf notices this white smoke happpen, you should try recreating the situation, and repeating it. If it goes away, you'll know that it's just condensation.

Also, in the 30 minutes of driving prior to this happening, was it city driving or highway driving? EGTs are much higher when you're on the highway and should burn off condensation much faster.
No highway driving, only about a mile, then 40 MPH boulevard style roads. It's so dam dry during the summer months that the A/C does not even condensate or drip water on the ground. But in California, there's a puddle left behind.

Now that it's much cooler and more humid, there's water in my exhaust. The proof is on the ground behind the car. All summer, there is no sputs of water/carbon on the painted garage floor. Now there is a nice peppered black spec spray on the floor right behind the exhaust tip. That's telling me there is water coming out and picking up the dirty carbon along the way. It must be the drastic change in weather. Just a few weeks ago it was in the 90s, now 45 to 60. That's Vegas weather.

She freaked me out by saying "there's a lot of white smoke coming out of the muffler as you drove when taking off." But none when at a steady cruise.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it. If it is something more sinister, I will update.

Last edited by SinCityEvo; Nov 4, 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
{off topic} You hang around any of the guys from HorsePower House by chance?

I haven't noticed any smoke from my buddies car since that day. That was about a day or two after he was custom tuned by DynoFLash which is the same as what you have. Me and my buddy are having our cars custom tuned this weekend so I can let you know if I notice anything.
not really, i know some of them. and a good friend of mine with a turbo honda 2000 was sponsored or something by them.

Last edited by rt turbo; Nov 4, 2004 at 07:31 PM.