Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2002, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by boostedwrx
My FP Green with 25 lbs of boost has only netted me 11.33's. My injector duty cycle is around 90% on my ND 720's and HOTT *** EGT's up around 1700f. 10 second slips are a distance away from me. I guess I just need some bigger injectors, as my Green shouldnt be running out of breath at 25psi. Although im tired of the car, and I rarely take it out only to scare friends. I should sell it all...
your cars also a FWD... atleast thats what your info says.

As far as the hot EGT's... thats really hot... especially with 720's, are you sure there isnt a problem?

Have you datalogged the car?

i'm assuming you have all the mods needed to do run 25psi on a green... fmic, bolt ons... etc. ?

I actually got a friend with a 2g Fwd, 720's w/ a green... she works at FP... or was. the car never quite ran right (allthough yours sounds like it does... since its running 11's), had a really bad egt, and spark advance wasnt pulling right... turned out to be a bad coil pack. (i'm from austin/kyle so i know several of the FP ppl)
Old Jan 3, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

You're kidding right! You're going to take a car that is only 1 of 4500 and hack it to pieces so you can go straight! Figures! This is what I figured people would do to such a car that's sole purpose was to plaster you to the side glass as you whip in and out of corners.

I've been a long time drag racer and it's fun, but after getting into a prepped BMW M-3 and racing around Watkins Glen I had to totally rethink what was fun! Pushing a cars elements to their limits was the most exhilarating thing anyone could do with their clothes on. It's like having mini-drag races all over the place on the track.

Trust me you'll find the EVO very much so out of place at the drag strip. It's like seeing an Audi S-4, BMW M-3. They don't belong.

I'm sure that once Ralliart gets things rolling here you'll find plenty of FACTORY parts that will make an EVO haul.

IMO if you want to put your "green" or "red" or whatever on an engine then stick with a DSM. You want a car that will scare the bejeezus outta you as you hang the tail out on corners stick with Ralliart and the EVO. I think they've done more than their fair share of work to know what makes one tick.

You're gonna do what ever you want and it's none of our business what you do, but I think it's a crime to take a limited edition car and hack it up just to go straight. Oh! to whomever stated a 10 sec car can handle too. Please direct me to links of these cars. The suspensions of those strictly drag cas do not handle like a road going car.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 2GTSiAWD
You're gonna do what ever you want and it's none of our business what you do, but I think it's a crime to take a limited edition car and hack it up just to go straight.
I have to agree, if you are looking to make it a 10 second 1/4 car, then buy a DSM... it will be:

1) Cheaper

And

2) Easier

If you are looking to mod it to hang with the street racing crowd, then that is another story. You won't need the car to run 10s to be able to hang with most... but I do have several friends with 10 second street cars and they all have much larger discplacement than 2.0 liters
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:22 AM

I didnt know you had to "hack" a car up to change suspension

Isnt it true that most 10/11 second DSM's use suspension that is commonly used by most DSM owners no matter what form of racing they prefer?
Old Jan 13, 2003, 04:15 AM

Since when is a 10-sec car a "drag car"? 10-sec 1/4 mile is what a good AutoX or road race car should run. One of the appealing things about AWD is that you can run a 10, and with nothing else changed, go out and pull 1.0+G's on the skidpad.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 04:48 AM

gimme a break...everytime some poor sot is honest enough to say "I'm buying an evo 'cuz I love the style and everything else about it like 4 doors, 4wd, etc. but I really wanna beat my buddie's car when we race light to light down Broadway" you guys hack him to pieces. I remember almost buying a POS El Camino which was beat to hell. It had a 454 with dual Holley 4-barrels and a "Hurst Shift Kit" (I still don't know what the hell a Hurst shift kit does for you). My mother wouldn't let me, but my sole objective was to beat my buddys Olds 455 on a straightaway.

Sometimes I feel like the guy who started this thread...the Evo is a great sleeper...and it's DAMN FUN to blow away unsuspecting Vettes and Vipers, and Honda tuners, and especially those who think they KNOW what you've got ...but then you hit the NOS (did I say NOS?!? YIKES!! God FORBID we slander the PEDIGREE of this finely bred machine!!!) and blow the bastards away. I like the idea of doing that (which is where the vast majority of my "professional racing career" has thus far taken place) and still being able to pull almost a G in the corners and bolt off the road into rocks and dirt, launching over rugged terrain with girls screaming and laughing in the other three seats. That's what I'm talking about!!
If you want to be all snooty and discuss how noone should be allowed to own this "fine racing machine" and "how dare they slander the fine pedigree" if they are going to jump into the tuning scene with it...go move to Britain where snootiness is better preserved and you can race Porsches as "noone would DARE drag race a fine Pawwsha"
There are going to be more than a handful of evos doing their battles in street races and on straightaways...this guy wants the thing to be faster than **** so everyone will be all impressed. I say more power to him. Evos are the ultimate cross trainer...doesn't mean you have to change into frilly little track shoes to run the hundred yard dash does it? Strap a pair of hiking boots on Jesse Owens ...that's the Evo, modded to heck... in the quarter mile.

So quit all this aristocratic "You shouldn't do that to a lovely Evolution" bull****.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

People like thier own stuff, give him credit, i mean im not really into the 1/4 mile racing but i know some people who are, and awd is good for it as well, atleast better than fwd, and the evo has 271 hp and 273 lbs of torque, so of course it can go fast. He lieks to drag race, so waht? Let him race w.e. he wants to, yeah the car was made for "rally" but this isn't a rally evo, let alone have many of the good handeling cars, i think it would do good on a str8 line.... Cheers for those who stick to what they liek when people put you down...
Old Jan 14, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CheezeFrog
Since when is a 10-sec car a "drag car"? 10-sec 1/4 mile is what a good AutoX or road race car should run. One of the appealing things about AWD is that you can run a 10, and with nothing else changed, go out and pull 1.0+G's on the skidpad.
A high-HP 10-sec 1/4 mile car doesn't necessarily make the best auto-x car. Smaller, low-power cars beat the bigger ones all the time.

Besides, a properly set-up 1/4 mile car and a properly set-up auto-x car are completely different in most cases.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

he just wants it to go fast/faster whats wrong with that? just becasue he SHOULD do some suspension mods so he can get 1+ g on the skidpad along with the hp mods doesn't mean we should blackball him lol

to answer your question
bigger turbo
leave the stock intercooler i hear its actually pretty good
might need stronger pistons and rods if you get a big enough turbo
exhaust system, the whole thing header back
boost controller/ecu/piggyback fuel computer
fuel pressure upgrade
cams maybe
pully system
camgear just cuz they look cool lol like 3 hp wit it lmao
to get this all to the wheels some new limited slips would be nice
anything else i can't think of to get more traction
better have a stick
i know its alredy been said but i will restate it, lighten the car it will move much better with like 300lbs missing so either you or your car needs to lose some weight
oh flywheel and clutch if you have a stick

that should cost around 5-10 grand depending on what you get exactly i e the turbo and pistons and conrods
Old Jan 14, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

if you do this you have to enter the gumball next year, its a must!!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Here is your answer straight from Australia.
Induction: Custom inlet manifold, 85mm throttle body, 1000cc injectors, Garret GT35 turbo, custom intake and cold air box
Exhaust: 3" mandrel bent
Run 9.5:1 compression ratio with custom built forged pistons.
Motec M4 ECU
On top of all this the engine needs custom slugs and rods, but will be good for mid 10's and that is without touching the cars interior and without nitrous. Hope I did not leave anything out, but that is how it is done down here. Good luck.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:48 AM

Go to some of the DSM forums and read about the few people who run 10s. It is not easy or cheap. Most people who pop up and ask, "I wanna run 10s on the street. What do I buy?" are fairly new and don't understand that lots of tuning and a big wallet for repairs are necessary. It's not something you can buy off the shelf.

If you want easy, reliable 10s, get a Mustang Cobra...
Old Mar 4, 2003, 04:07 PM

This should give you an idea of what is required to build a 10-sec. DSM. Granted that the Evo comes out of the box with more HP, but would still require most of these parts to propell it to sub 11-sec time slips.
http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/
On the right of the page there will be an info box for building a 10-sec DSM. Click on that link.
By the way, retail pricing on all of these parts would be about $17k installed. I'm sure it can be done for cheaper, but these guys do it right.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:00 PM

Hi,

Reading this thread has immediately made me register, hence my name!!

I build Rally evo's and Big HP Evo's in GB and im linked to the Fast and the Furious2 Evo's, and i can asure you that you american lot haven't got a chance of :-

1. Running anymore that 1.3 - 1.4 Bar of boost without replacing Conrods, Pistons! even at standard boost ive seen many an engine put a hole as big as the one where the twin towers stood in your Cylinder block!!

2.As for 10s 1/4 miles there is no chance at all that you bunch of american ejit's can built such a evo. Why don't you stick to your NASCARS and Indy cars rather than trying to play with real engines!! (i.e 4G63's)

When the weedy Evo8 comes out in you won't know whats hit you!You'll think it's so great but in fact us here in the UK and Japan know the real truth. Why don't you lot import some proper evo's , evo 6's!!

And what a load of bollox about std evo's running 12s 1/4 miles!! hahahahha.

You will find Claudius knows who i work for!! and we don't do things the american way!!

Hope that fuels a heated discussion!!

Seeya!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

No Chance!!, you're very ignorant, and why are you rude? Are you trying to get us angry at you for a reason? Do you think that would be funny? Your post makes you sound like a jerk and an idiot.

Club DSM members in AMERICA have been tuning 4G63 engines for years, and probably many are better than yours. Didn't your omniscient European &$# know that?

Quick Reply: How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???