Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Evo is not a drag car, its made for a track or course. i mean if you want to straight line it a couple time, then be my guest, but dont designate this car for drags. its not worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by No Chance!!
Hi,

Reading this thread has immediately made me register, hence my name!!

I build Rally evo's and Big HP Evo's in GB and im linked to the Fast and the Furious2 Evo's, and i can asure you that you american lot haven't got a chance of :-

1. Running anymore that 1.3 - 1.4 Bar of boost without replacing Conrods, Pistons! even at standard boost ive seen many an engine put a hole as big as the one where the twin towers stood in your Cylinder block!!

2.As for 10s 1/4 miles there is no chance at all that you bunch of american ejit's can built such a evo. Why don't you stick to your NASCARS and Indy cars rather than trying to play with real engines!! (i.e 4G63's)

When the weedy Evo8 comes out in you won't know whats hit you!You'll think it's so great but in fact us here in the UK and Japan know the real truth. Why don't you lot import some proper evo's , evo 6's!!

And what a load of bollox about std evo's running 12s 1/4 miles!! hahahahha.

You will find Claudius knows who i work for!! and we don't do things the american way!!

Hope that fuels a heated discussion!!

Seeya!
Sorry to say it, but you just don't know what you're talking about. We've had the 4G63 here since 1989, just not in the Evo chassis. Ever heard of a DSM? I have one, and it's a blast

Here's a list of American drag times with the 4G63, and I'll leave it to you to count how many are 10 sec and UNDER:
http://www.dsmtimes.org/

American cars may have many shortcomings, but drag racing is not one of them. Arguably, the best drag racing street cars in the world are built in America (and yes, I have plenty of vids of Skylines in Japan, Aus, and the UK).
Old Mar 13, 2003, 05:50 PM
Hor

Originally posted by No Chance!!
Hi,

Reading this thread has immediately made me register, hence my name!!

I build Rally evo's and Big HP Evo's in GB and im linked to the Fast and the Furious2 Evo's, and i can asure you that you american lot haven't got a chance of :-

1. Running anymore that 1.3 - 1.4 Bar of boost without replacing Conrods, Pistons! even at standard boost ive seen many an engine put a hole as big as the one where the twin towers stood in your Cylinder block!!

2.As for 10s 1/4 miles there is no chance at all that you bunch of american ejit's can built such a evo. Why don't you stick to your NASCARS and Indy cars rather than trying to play with real engines!! (i.e 4G63's)

When the weedy Evo8 comes out in you won't know whats hit you!You'll think it's so great but in fact us here in the UK and Japan know the real truth. Why don't you lot import some proper evo's , evo 6's!!

And what a load of bollox about std evo's running 12s 1/4 miles!! hahahahha.

You will find Claudius knows who i work for!! and we don't do things the american way!!

Hope that fuels a heated discussion!!

Seeya!
What a dolt! www.dsmtimes.org

p.s. That's the first time I've ever heard of someone being proud of being linked the Fast and the Furious. Look fast, go slow! If that's your thing, then more power to ya.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:36 AM

With MONEY anything is possible. A 10 second EVO is very far from impossible. Larger turbo, stronger clutch, bigger fuel system, and some sort of fuel and timing management and theirs your 10 second EVO.

This almost sounds like the articles in Turbo magazine.

What the magazines don't usually emphasize on is the trials and tribulations that go on during the build up process. A racers motto is that if you aren't breaking parts, you're not making enough power.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! You will break many things under the hood on your quest for the 10s. I know there will be people saying that the EVO has a much stronger tranny than the DSM's, but this still does not mean the EVO is bullet-proof.

I have destroyed 2 clutches, 2 transmissions, 1 axle, and the stock Differential. And guess what?? I'm only in the 12'S!

Point is.... if you have the cash, go for it. I feel fortunate that I have a job where I can fork up some cash to make the nessesary repairs. I would love to see EVOs blowing away domestics left and right.

Jeff
Old Mar 14, 2003, 05:02 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Mivec
Here is your answer straight from Australia.
Induction: Custom inlet manifold, 85mm throttle body, 1000cc injectors, Garret GT35 turbo, custom intake and cold air box
Exhaust: 3" mandrel bent
Run 9.5:1 compression ratio with custom built forged pistons.
Motec M4 ECU
On top of all this the engine needs custom slugs and rods, but will be good for mid 10's and that is without touching the cars interior and without nitrous. Hope I did not leave anything out, but that is how it is done down here. Good luck.
You are talking about the yellow EVO from Sweden? Not sure why you'e need 1000cc injectors unless you wanted a poor idle, or why you'd need a 85mm throttle body unless you wanted really poor driveability. Way overkill.... you can do 10's and still have a streetable car if you do it right.

Martin
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:39 PM

No chance, since people have already mentioned that we've had the 4g63 for some time, I'll bring up something else. You make fun of our NASCAR(which I admit is bleeding boring) but what about ASCAR which you have over there in Ireland?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

For the record:

As far as I last read...JoCCe has $150,000 invested including the cost of the car. ($30,000) He's running low low 10's.

Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:06 AM

I bet that he could have gotten that fast for MUCH MUCH less.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

I have no idea how much money is invested in Yelo3's car. I'm not sure that he'll ever say on the boards. Gotta wonder the difference in cost between the 10.xx Evo VI and the 9.xx Evo II.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
... In my eyes it'd be a shame putting a car built to turn and making it a straight line car.
My sentiments exactly. It's quite a shame. JoCCe's car is still an everyday driver at least.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Speaking of which, anyone know any nice aftermarket fuel rails for the EVO just in case I feel like adding some NOS?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CooperAWD

t66? we arent talking about a supra... are we? Thats a huge turbo... probably to big for a 4g63.

Forged internals for a US 4g63 in a DSM probably... but for a car that weighs 500 lbs less, and has stronger internals... maybe not.
The US Evo weighs more than any DSM (except the convertibles, perhaps). My 97 GSX, loaded, weighs 3150lbs. The Evo weighs 3265.

Are you sure that an Evo has stronger internals than a 6-bolt DSM engine? I've never seen a 7-bolt Evo rod, so I don't know. I do know that there really isn't much a difference between the pistons they use, other than compression ratio.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:28 AM

A Evo is not built for drag, tracks, etc its made for rally pure and simple

however as another crazy swede i must say that i love my evo and its handling ALOT better on the track than in the woods atm

if you want 600+ hp in a Evo thats not a problem. just make sure your bank account can cover around $30000 or so