Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???

Hey guys...

This one is for all you Evo owners who've done heavy mods on your sweet rides... Since i'm eagerly awaiting for my Evo VIII to arrive and i've been hearing rumors that it'll come grossly underrated from the factory ready to be performance prepped i've been wondering how much it would cost to build an Evo that would do the 1/4 mile from the high 10's to the low 11's and still make it a daily driver. Also, what parts would i have to upgrade to build this beast of a car. Any info would be great since i'm just collecting data and doing research. If you can itemize the parts (brand names for boost controller, bigger turbo, cams, valves, etc) with estimated costs that would be alot of help.

Thanks, Silver Ghost
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:19 PM

you are aware that the evo is not a drag car, fastest evo ive heard of here on the forums is owned by Jocce i think see what he did to his im not sure what he ran the 1/4 mile in but do a search im sure you can find it somewhere
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What he said. I think Yelo3's Evo is faster though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...&vehicleid=165

JoCCe does have the distinction of owning the 2nd fastest 4wd car in Sweden though. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

I know JoCCe's hit the 10's, but I don't think he's gotten that low. It's gotta be kinda nice having a Prospeed tuned Evo though.

EDIT: If all you want is a 10second car (No comment) then a GSX would be a better bet. It's MUCH cheaper, the parts are available, and they're cheap too. David Buschur wrote a great article in Drag magazine about how to bring DSMs into certain time frames and at reasonable cost.

In my eyes it'd be a shame putting a car built to turn and making it a straight line car.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Nov 27, 2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Plz don't make a beatiful car like an EVO, who can do so great in autocross and such only go straight... A Evo ain't ment to go staight.... That's a waste... liek they've said, you'd be much better with a GSX!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 08:11 PM

well i have a GSX and to me, 10sec evo seems to be a much more luxurious way to cross the finish line...lol... i mean i LOVE the look and style of an EVO...so SUPPOSE i want to use an EVO to do 10secs in the 1/4mile because i don't/wouldn't like to autocross it .... how much mods would it take to get it there and which mods? and i know from the DSM discussions that it isn't a bolt on affair but i've been quoted a stock EVO7 running high12s...

plz discuss how a 10sec EVO could be done with FULL interior and be used as a full street car daily driver...

(im not planning on doing 10secs but am very curious on how you guys would approach it)

appreciate the positive responses in advance...

cant wait to get me an EVO7
Old Dec 20, 2002, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

First of all I believe you can still make the car fast in a straight line, and still be good on the curves. 10 seconds in an achievable goal with that in mind.
Personally I am going for about 12.5-12.6 (most without a roll cage). This really should not be difficult, and I plan to start first with the weight of the car. I plan on getting rid of 200-300 lbs if possible. That will probably cost about $2,000.
For another $2000 (maybe less) I could easily add the power needed to run the mid 12's.

If I were going to build a 10 second car, just getting there would not be good enough. I would want to make sure my upgrade path provided a reliable foundation too. I don't want to start repairing everything everytime I drive the car.

A good place to go for this goal (if you don't want to work on it all yourself) would be Automotorsports. They have helped to build a high 10 second galant vr-4, which weighs more than the EVO. The theory behind the two is pretty much identical.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by I4K20C
Plz don't make a beatiful car like an EVO, who can do so great in autocross and such only go straight... A Evo ain't ment to go staight.... That's a waste... liek they've said, you'd be much better with a GSX!
IMO autocross = professional cone dodging.

What people do with there car is there own matter, if they want to build an evo into a 10 second drag car, how does that effect you? Even if you had an evo that rans 10's, its not like the car looses its abbility to turn when you add hp, right?

In the US as far as amatuer racing is concerned, drag racing is much more populaur than any other two forms of racing combined. Theres many more drag tracks than circuit tracks, and pretty much wherever you live theres one "near" you.

edit/ Looks like tearitup beat me to the "car not being able to turn" comment while i was typing
Old Dec 20, 2002, 08:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

A big concern would be cost of parts, but since we don't have any idea how much parts will be and what will be available and how quickly. Many or all Evo VII parts may fit, but that's yet to be shown for certain. I'd assume a lot will fit.

Take a look at JoCCe's car for examples on what it took to bring him where is is. His is a brilliant example of how to built a car if you ask me.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

True True, I retract my previouse statment...
Old Dec 20, 2002, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

A big concern would be cost of parts, but since we don't have any idea how much parts will be and what will be available and how quickly. Many or all Evo VII parts may fit, but that's yet to be shown for certain. I'd assume a lot will fit.
Not only that, but you will see a lot of good american aftermarket parts soon, as the platform is very similar to DSM in theory. I know I will be checking often over at RRE/RRM.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way your getting into the 10's is with forged parts, a T66 and some big *** freakin injectors. Mind you a 10 second vehicle is upwards of 550-600hp.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:51 PM
In Timeout

Know what? Given the right sponsorship, it'd be fun to find out!
Old Dec 27, 2002, 03:06 PM

[The only way your getting into the 10's is with forged parts, a T66 and some big *** freakin injectors. Mind you a 10 second vehicle is upwards of 550-600hp.
t66? we arent talking about a supra... are we? Thats a huge turbo... probably to big for a 4g63.

Forged internals for a US 4g63 in a DSM probably... but for a car that weighs 500 lbs less, and has stronger internals... maybe not.

mid-high 11 second et's should easily be accomplished w/ the stock 560's and 16g (just an ECU and exhaust & intake upgrade)...

high 10 second et's... 650's or 720's and FP green model (or something comparable to a 20g)... cams, ported head etc if needed... but rods and pistons... not necissarly

If people can run 12's with a stock fuel injectors, stock engine internals, and on a stock 14b turbo in a decade old car... i doubt it'll be that hard to break into the 10's w/ the new Evo's that have made lots of impovements to what we've had here for the last decade.

Last edited by CooperAWD; Dec 27, 2002 at 03:31 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My FP Green with 25 lbs of boost has only netted me 11.33's. My injector duty cycle is around 90% on my ND 720's and HOTT *** EGT's up around 1700f. 10 second slips are a distance away from me. I guess I just need some bigger injectors, as my Green shouldnt be running out of breath at 25psi. Although im tired of the car, and I rarely take it out only to scare friends. I should sell it all...
Old Dec 27, 2002, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just for the record, without sponsorship, it cost Jocce about $150,000 (us I think) to complete that car. He mentioned that in an old post.

e in la

Quick Reply: How much $ to build a 10 sec Evo???