Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mobil 1 synthetic vs pennszoil

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mobil 1 synthetic vs pennszoil

hey there shouldnt be any difference between mobil one and pennzoil full synthetic is there. i know the evo recommends mobil one but what if i really feel like putting pennzoil in. same or no???? they are both full synthetic.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Mobil1 had a lawsuit that included Pennzoil because they were selling oil as "synthetic" when it wasn't technically so. I would stick to Mobil1 their reputation is outstanding. Just think of all the cars that recommend Mobil1.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

mobile 1 is like the bmw 330i/m3 of the sports sedan world.... everyone tries to beat it
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

some monkeys at jiffylube was saying Pennzoil is better then mobile 1 cuz they have newer formula... same reason why 4g63 block is so awesome even though its over a decade old? cuz its proven to be rock solid...

mobile 1 hasnt changed their base formula for decades, i wonder why
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i figured there had to be a reason. i know the pennzoil one is marketed as "full synthetic". hopefully it is. all im asking is if you were in a jam and needed an oil change and had penn full synthetic for 3K miles it wouldnt kill anything.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:40 AM

You guys should check out Amsoil Series 2000 (fully synthetic). It beat Mobile 1 SuperSyn in wear tests (you can look online www.amsoil.com). I have been running it since 3000 miles, and I got 1 mpg better gas mileage after the first tank!!! Plus, you don't have to change it as often. I used it in my Honda (w/NOS) for 60k miles, with only 3 oil changes!!!! It now has over 120k miles and runs like new. It is pricy, though ~ $8/quart. I change my oil every six months or 12000 miles in my EVO - love it.

Last edited by batmoEVO; Nov 5, 2004 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Pennz seems to be changing a 'formula' about every three years or so ... why? I wonder if all the formulas they have/had already suck. I personally ran with Pennz. for quite a few years in my Geo Prism, and when they went to their "liquid ball bearings formula" I think it really started to suck. Remember one thing ... oil lubricates, additives don't. A good base stock oil is where its at, and I'm happy to run Mobil 1 in my EVO.

jcnel.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by batmoEVO
You guys should check out Amsoil Series 2000 (fully synthetic). It beat Mobile 1 SuperSyn in wear tests (you can look online www.amsoil.com). I have been running it since 3000 miles, and I got 1 mpg better gas mileage after the first tank!!! Plus, you don't have to change it as often. I used it in my Honda (w/NOS) for 60k miles, with only 3 oil changes!!!! It now has over 120k miles and runs like new. It is pricy, though ~ $8/quart. I change my oil every six months or 12000 miles in my EVO - love it.
Holly Sh*t dude.....the oil's basestocks may be fine, but it does not have enough detergent to suspend the contaminents in the oil!!! The evo's build quality is ***, there is plenty o' blow by and if you take a look at your oil after 1K on a new oil change it is quite foul....I don't care how good the oil is, it needs to be changed around 3000-3500!!!! All of the contaminents will attack bearing surfaces, and lead to poor lubricity. If an oil contained enough detergent to suspend 12K worth of miles it woul suck lubrication-wise. Mobil 1 is great oil, I use Redline, as they are local to me and I support my local businessman, but I still change oil every 3000 miles...It is certainly not worth skimping on the coast of an oil change! Good luck!
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

You absolutely do not have to use full syn in the Evo. As a matter of fact you can use Dino oils... Try the 10W30 from http://www.le-inc.com/products/Eo/EO_HeavyDuty.html It has a much higher thermal viscocity rating than M1, or any other full syn out there...

Look for this on the page 8130 MONOLEC® ULTRA-BLEND Engine Oil (SAE 10W-30)
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Amsoil is crap. Expensive crap. It is not even certified. The only test in which it beats M1 is the one on the Amsoil website.. Amsoil is just snake oil. You can even go on thier web site and become a "dealer".

Watch out for "sales" pitches like the one above. Stick to M-1.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
You absolutely do not have to use full syn in the Evo. As a matter of fact you can use Dino oils... Try the 10W30 from http://www.le-inc.com/products/Eo/EO_HeavyDuty.html It has a much higher thermal viscocity rating than M1, or any other full syn out there...

Look for this on the page 8130 MONOLEC® ULTRA-BLEND Engine Oil (SAE 10W-30)
Please do not pour this crap in any engine. It's made of wax.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Why play games, M1 is proven. I have used Castrol full synth. just to see how long it takes the oil to go dark and the results from from that test agree with what mttam posted. I change my Evo's oil every 3500.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

M1 is awesome penziol sucks big time they are about the cheapest junk around.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

What abt Royal Purple? are they good?

Last edited by 4Gsixty3; Nov 5, 2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

The best way to determine a oil change interval is to have the oil lab analized. It may look dark but it may be still good.

This is the best site for oil information http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

[edit added content]

Myth
If the oil turns dark or black quickly, it's no good.
You can tell the condition of oil by the look, smell or color of it.
Dirty (black) motor oil means the oil is breaking down.

Fact
A common misconception is that high quality motor oil should come out of an engine looking clean at the time of an oil change. Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Quaker State® motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil will look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Quaker State® motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change.

Last edited by Jorge T; Nov 5, 2004 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: mobil 1 synthetic vs pennszoil