Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Importance of downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004 | 04:10 PM
Account Disabled

no, you can't rev match with tip-tronic, since you have to be in neutral to rev match and tiptronic uses hydralics to shift.
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
no, you can't rev match with tip-tronic, since you have to be in neutral to rev match and tiptronic uses hydralics to shift.
now im confused again........

i thought the steps were....

1-push clutch pedal in
2-rev engine
3-downshift
4-release clutch

are u saying the stick has to be in neutral and then downshift? isn't that a double clutch downshift
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 05:31 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO KING295
now im confused again........

i thought the steps were....

1-push clutch pedal in
2-rev engine
3-downshift
4-release clutch

are u saying the stick has to be in neutral and then downshift? isn't that a double clutch downshift

You are completely correct. You have just described rev matching.
what polkivo is referring to is called double declutching.

The difference is that rev matching brings the engine up to the corresponding speed for the gear you are shifting to.
Double declutching brings both the engine and the transmission to the corresponding speed.

Both, I believe, are worth learning. I learned to rev match first and then evolved to double declutching.

Now it is time to go practice. It is really rewarding when you get it right! I actually find it more fun to drive while doing this.

Have fun,
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

What is the purpose of double clutching anyway? If your clutch hydraulic system is fully operational, there shouldn't be a need to double clutch right?
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
What is the purpose of double clutching anyway? If your clutch hydraulic system is fully operational, there shouldn't be a need to double clutch right?
if you go to www.standardshift.com and watch the videos, the guy states in the videos that in todays cars there is no point to double clutch or double clutch downshift at all.
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 08:09 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

if you go to www.standardshift.com and watch the videos, the guy states in the videos that in todays cars there is no point to double clutch or double clutch downshift at all.
I guess, as with everything, that it is a matter of opinion. I am sure that with modern transmissions it no longer has a pronounced effect on syncro wear.

I find double declutching just as easy to do as rev matching, it just takes practice. I have found it useful when my Evo is cold so I don't grind the gears (this applies to both shifting up and down), also when driving older Porsches, and even some newer Italian cars.

Either way, rev matching is important to learn, double declutching is optional.
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 08:16 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jonduke
i apolgize for being rude JTB sorry for the flaming,also to everyone else for going off topic,no competition im still learning every day
No problem. I am still learning too. This is one of the reasons I come to EvoM.
Old Nov 7, 2004 | 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

i don't understand why you guys think being in gear stops you faster... if you're in gear... at 60 and you are in neutral going 60 and you slam your brakes til antilock... you will stop in the same distance. i admit you will feel like you're slowing down more with less braking application... but c'mon... don't fool yourselves... the tires are stopping you... not the engine brake.
Old Nov 8, 2004 | 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I dont think they are saying it will make you stop faster, but that the engine will be making you decelerate instead of the brakes. So that you can use it as an alternative to cruising to a stop, not for lets say an slamming on the brakes to stop before getting tboned by a semi.
Old Nov 8, 2004 | 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

learn heel/toe. downshifts are fine, just dont do anything stupid like drop it into second going 60
yup....however i only use the heel/toe when entering a corner at a fast speed...otherwise i would rev match when coming to a stop(when im not lazy)
Old Nov 9, 2004 | 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jonasan50
OMG!! I can't believe that this subject has gone so far!!
I didn't think there would be this much debate when I started this thread. Thanks for everyone's opinion. I guess I should have name this thread "Coasting, good or bad" because that's all I wanted to know. I'm glad this community is so involved. Great work guys (and gals)