Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

is 450whp possible with stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by platinumspecv
First off you will definatley make more power if you get a CUSTOM DYNOFLASH tune done. Also maybe 450whp is possible on nitrous? (help me guys) but I don't think its safe for the motor. That's just too high of a number. BTW on this topic: What do you guys' think is the max power this motor can handle on stock block/head ? Also keeping in mind that its going to be a daily street driven car..

Krunal

you are wrong. Engine can handle 450WHP no problems with the right tune. The stock turbo will never hit 450WHP.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by archie001
yeah yeah i know....are you part of the group thats getting al down here(sfl) for some tunning
Ahhh Nope.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:23 AM
Account Disabled

Does anyone on here think that Curts car has less than 450 whp,didn't think so.anyways here is link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&page=1&pp=15
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Lyublinsky
Not going to happen. 380whp I have see on a stock turbo car with everything. IC,Pipes,catless exhaust, intake, header and o2 and Water injections TME Turbo with 10.8, 272s

Done nothing less. But hell there is a guy on this board that ran 11.23@123 on the stocker.
I made 411 on the stock big 16G compressor with an upgraded hot side, and that was without touching my timing map! I ran out of time on the dyno.... with timing adjustments when running C-16 I think I would have seen a substantial HP jump compared to my timing map that was tuned for pump gas.... so 450 is at the very edge without N2O but I think it you wanted to do it just so you could say "I hit 450 whp on the stock turbo" then you could do it.

One thing to keep in mind... define your wheel HP before you get into a peeing match like this! I made 411 on a DYNAPACK AWD dyno.... that would be around 350 wheel HP on a dyno dynamics dynometer.

We are talking dynojet/dynapack numbers here, for the people saying "no, not even with N2O" get a clue. If I put a tinny little 50 shot on my car I would be over 450 right now.

Keith

Last edited by Fourdoor; Nov 9, 2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by turboDan
Does anyone on here think that Curts car has less than 450 whp...
Why not get all the facts before making such assumptions?

For starters, he has removed a good bit of weight from his car, so his car isn't exactly typical street trim, and it doesn't take 450whp to run those times with less weight. He removed a lot of dead weight, and has less unsprung weight in the form of lightweight wheels and rotors, which as you well know, are worth multiples of dead weight.

He's running C16, which can make a difference of 50whp.

Additionally, the weather is quite cold where he is, and that makes a significant difference. Not to mention, he's a good driver.

Finally, his engine is running on the edge of destruction, and is on the verge of grenading with audible detonation being heard as he's going down the track.

In any case, in response to the original question, the answer is one should not expect to make a realistic, reliable 450whp on the stock turbo.

Last edited by Ted B; Nov 9, 2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock turbo is pretty much limited to 400 whp, of course there will be some rare instances, but the majority will not be able to reach over 400 whp without upgrading the turbo
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Ted B]

Finally, his engine is running on the edge of destruction, and is on the verge of grenading with audible detonation being heard as he's going down the track.

QUOTE]

My understanding is that you can't detonate on race gas.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

If only that were the case.

The reailty is one can just as easily grenade a motor on race fuel as pump fuel. Race fuel just allows one to run more aggressive settings until the onset of detonation. When it arrives, it is just as destructive as it is on pump fuel...if not even more so due to the increased power levels.

FWIW, the driver of the car in question warned, "I do not recommend trying to duplicate the state of tune of my car, it is on the very edge of tune(note mild splatter on plugs, audible ping going down track), and this is on pure VP C-16 race gas..."

Last edited by Ted B; Nov 9, 2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=Eric Lyublinsky]
Originally Posted by Ted B

QUOTE]

My understanding is that you can't detonate on race gas.
You can. But it just takes a lot of effort.

Shiv
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

NOS will get you there in no time
Old Nov 9, 2004, 02:02 PM
Account Disabled

Why not get all the facts before making such assumptions?

For starters, he has removed a good bit of weight from his car, so his car isn't exactly typical street trim, and it doesn't take 450whp to run those times with less weight. He removed a lot of dead weight, and has less unsprung weight in the form of lightweight wheels and rotors, which as you well know, are worth multiples of dead weight.

He's running C16, which can make a difference of 50whp.

Additionally, the weather is quite cold where he is, and that makes a significant difference. Not to mention, he's a good driver.

In any case, in response to the original question, the answer is one should not expect to make a realistic, reliable 450whp on the stock turbo.
Well if you call 100# a good bit of weight,then yes,you are right,but as far as assumptions are concerned you should be asking yourself just how much power does it take to run 122+ mph with fair 60' times. Here is another link for ya.https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=106352See post #43 in link
Why is it so hard for you to believe,oh ya it is the internet,so everyone is an expert...........

Last edited by turboDan; Nov 9, 2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by turboDan
Why is it so hard for you to believe,oh ya it is the internet,so everyone is an expert...........
FYI: I ran it through several calculations several days ago, and they come up short of your assertions. Try it sometime.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I made 411 on the stock big 16G compressor with an upgraded hot side, and that was without touching my timing map! I ran out of time on the dyno.... with timing adjustments when running C-16 I think I would have seen a substantial HP jump compared to my timing map that was tuned for pump gas.... so 450 is at the very edge without N2O but I think it you wanted to do it just so you could say "I hit 450 whp on the stock turbo" then you could do it.

One thing to keep in mind... define your wheel HP before you get into a peeing match like this! I made 411 on a DYNAPACK AWD dyno.... that would be around 350 wheel HP on a dyno dynamics dynometer.

We are talking dynojet/dynapack numbers here, for the people saying "no, not even with N2O" get a clue. If I put a tinny little 50 shot on my car I would be over 450 right now.

Keith

Yeah Keith, thank you! It seems so obvious. So he can make 450 whp, no problem. Just needs to find the right dyno.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

i dont' see it being possible without race gas and NOS
Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI: I ran it through several calculations several days ago, and they come up short of your assertions. Try it sometime.
Did you run it through this one? http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.epl

My race weight is 3400 lbs with me in the car, so if we assumed 100 lbs lighter for him and a 124 mph trap speed that gives us 495 wheel hp on a dynojet or dynapack.

Keith

Quick Reply: is 450whp possible with stock turbo?