Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car shaking and rumbling after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car shaking and rumbling after clutch install

I had an Exedy Single put in and the clutch works fine. But after the install around 80 mph the car starts shaking and makes kind of a low rumbling sound. It did it a little bit in 3rd gear yesterday. But it always does it around 80 mph. I did not have this problem before the clutch install. I took it back to the mechanic who did the install and he said it might be a axle or a tire out of balance. But I don't understand why it happens bascially around 80 mph only.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my exedy single install last week and the only prob i m having is a rattling sound when I let go of the gas. I put my car up on the rack and its clearly coming from my tranny. Never had that prob before so I asked around and it seems to be normal for a high performance clutch. Anyway, back to your question....my car doesn't shake on the freeway. Did your mechanic torque the flywheel (99lbs) to spec? You better make sure he did or else say bye bye to ur crank and motor. Also, you might want him to double check your driveshaft to see if all the bolt are tight. Thats the only two things I can think of that can cause a vib. Other than that, u can check ur wheel balance. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have ACT and my 4th is popping out.... man, why can't this be easy and done the right first time?

Maybe it's gear depended problem, like it only happens on 4th gear or 5th gear?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Next time when your're doing 80mph, press in the clutch and see if it still shakes. If it doesn't shake , than there is something wrong with the clutch but if it shakes, than have your wheels rebalanced and check again.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 07:50 PM
bs
Evolving Member

Sounds like my experience only mine was related to the P0300 code. You didn't throw a cel did you?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by simevo
Next time when your're doing 80mph, press in the clutch and see if it still shakes. If it doesn't shake , than there is something wrong with the clutch but if it shakes, than have your wheels rebalanced and check again.
Ok, I will do that. But I know it makes the rumbling and shaking when I have the accelerater pressed. As soon as I take my foot off the gas, the shaking and rumbling stop. I'm almost positive that the sounds will stop when the clutch is pressed in. What do you think is wrong with the clutch?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bs
Sounds like my experience only mine was related to the P0300 code. You didn't throw a cel did you?
What do you mean "throw a cel"?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:39 PM
Account Disabled

Having a Gear pop out means you Hub and sleeve may be damaged. I had the SAME exact thing, same gear in fact, on my DSM. I had to rebuild the tranny.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 09:41 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I was having problem shifting into 2nd and 4th gears at high RPM (6k above and not go in at all unless double clutch) after installed the ACT clutch by the dealer. It turned out that the clutch was not adjusted right and it eventually gone with 5000 miles life.
RRE installed a new disc and this time it's right since all of the problems were gone (no smell unless I slipped it in the drag, no shifting problem...). So adjusting the clutch may help.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
What do you mean "throw a cel"?

CEL = Check Engine Light
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Lancer. Your statement that the vibration is not constant but related auggests that it is a resonance where a small vibration is re-enforced producing an amplitude severe enough for you to feel. Just like a wheel will sometimes do when it is out of balance and you can feel it in the steeering wheel only at a certain speed. If it only vibrates at 80mph its your wheels or axel. If it is more like something out of balance in the clutch area it seems like the resoance should occure at the the a particular engine RPM and therefore at different but consistent road speeds depending on your gear. I assume the axels were removed during cutch replacement.. I'd look there first as the wheel balance should not have been disturbed.