Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

throw out BOV ..??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throw out BOV ..??

I've been search this topic and can not found.
2 days ago, I saw the EVO8 with JuN stroker kit, but I can not found where the BOV.
I asked the owner, and he said the tuner was throw out the BOV..
Is there any possibilities to do this without harmful the engine?
The owner said this for keep the boost. He attend some drag competition.
Just share and correct me if there something wrong with my words.
Thanks for any advise and experience.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluewater
I've been search this topic and can not found.
2 days ago, I saw the EVO8 with JuN stroker kit, but I can not found where the BOV.
I asked the owner, and he said the tuner was throw out the BOV..
Is there any possibilities to do this without harmful the engine?
The owner said this for keep the boost. He attend some drag competition.
Just share and correct me if there something wrong with my words.
Thanks for any advise and experience.

Here is how to say it better!

"I've been searching for this topic, but I can't find it. 2 days ago I saw an Evo8 with the JUN stroker kit, but I couldn't find the BOV. I asked the owner about it and he said the tuner threw out (removed) the BOV. Is there any possibility in harming the engine by doing this? The owner said this is to hold (keep) boost. He competes in drag competitions. Please help and correct me if there is something incorrect with my grammar. Thanks for any advice and your experience."

To answer your question, Yes this will damage the engine, mainly the Turbo. Basically what they are doing by not using a BOV is not allowing the car to release the pressure built by the turbo during deceleration, shifting, or any lifting off the gas. This built up pressure will want to escape anyway it can anytime boost is not being built, such as shifting (when the throttle is not depressed). Either you are building boost or loosing it, there is no in-between. Since the pressure will be very high 25psi or more I am sure, once boost stops (even for a split second) the pressure will want to escape and since there is no BOV this unsed pressure is forced to flow back out in reverse back through the turbo. This will cause the turbo to abruptly change propeller direction. This can adn will eventually bend the turbo fins and furthurmore the turbo is designed to spin in one direction (Our Evos spin opposite of most turbos) and by forcing the air back through making it spin the other direction. This wil cause extra wear on the turbo and cause it to become loose eventually destroying it!!

NO BOV = Disaster

The reason they are doing this is to try and keep the PSI up during the drag race. By having some pressure still built up, it takes less pressure to reach full boost. Thus power is much more linear and there is not as much turbo lag. Not a good idea IMHO.

Some of you tech guys pease back me up or clarify on this if I am off on this!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:14 PM

Removing the blow off valve is damaging to the throttle body(can result in worn/leaking seals) as well as extremely damaging to turbo barings due to compressor surge.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think the only sense in which you should throw out the BoV is if you throw out the stock one and replace it with one that holds boost better.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I'd recommend getting a bov its ummm pretty important!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:23 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by v8killer
Here is how to say it better!

"I've been searching for this topic, but I can't find it. 2 days ago I saw an Evo8 with the JUN stroker kit, but I couldn't find the BOV. I asked the owner about it and he said the tuner threw out (removed) the BOV. Is there any possibility in harming the engine by doing this? The owner said this is to hold (keep) boost. He competes in drag competitions. Please help and correct me if there is something incorrect with my grammar. Thanks for any advice and your experience."

To answer your question, Yes this will damage the engine, mainly the Turbo. Basically what they are doing by not using a BOV is not allowing the car to release the pressure built by the turbo during deceleration, shifting, or any lifting off the gas. This built up pressure will want to escape anyway it can anytime boost is not being built, such as shifting (when the throttle is not depressed). Either you are building boost or loosing it, there is no in-between. Since the pressure will be very high 25psi or more I am sure, once boost stops (even for a split second) the pressure will want to escape and since there is no BOV this unsed pressure is forced to flow back out in reverse back through the turbo. This will cause the turbo to abruptly change propeller direction. This can adn will eventually bend the turbo fins and furthurmore the turbo is designed to spin in one direction (Our Evos spin opposite of most turbos) and by forcing the air back through making it spin the other direction. This wil cause extra wear on the turbo and cause it to become loose eventually destroying it!!

NO BOV = Disaster

The reason they are doing this is to try and keep the PSI up during the drag race. By having some pressure still built up, it takes less pressure to reach full boost. Thus power is much more linear and there is not as much turbo lag. Not a good idea IMHO.

Some of you tech guys pease back me up or clarify on this if I am off on this!
thanks V8killer for your correction with my grammar, coz I'm from below of this earth... :-)
I'm absolutely agree with you guys here, who posted the important of BOV.
That's the words I was telling the owner, but he still trust the tuner, what can I say?
Anyway, thanks a lot for your time to reply to this thread.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Just a question, If they are using a clutchless shifter, would you not need a bov cause you never let off the throttle?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If using race engine w/ maximum poer then BOV is unnecessary- note these engines are constantly being rebuilt after races. I would not reccomend this for a daily driver.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
If using race engine w/ maximum poer then BOV is unnecessary- note these engines are constantly being rebuilt after races. I would not reccomend this for a daily driver.
Thanks, I was just curious, no way planning for that