Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Overall performance and appearance,Which is better?
EVO VIII
91.83%
WRX STI
8.17%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Evo Viii Vs. Wrx Sti

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this: First Evo is 10xs better looking, second I've raced on a track with 2 STis, one with EXTREME amounts of handling mods (suspension, strut bars, and sway bars) and I have just a JIC suspension thing and he also had a turbo-back exhaust set up including up pipe, we were about even through the corners and he pulled away from me a bit on the straights. The other had nothing and I totally burned him, course, it was also his first time EVER racing in anything but a straight line...but still. There's an "I did this..." instead of a "C&D did this..." It's the best I've got. One handles slightly better due to a stiffer ride, and one goes faster in a straight...barely. If you want a cushier ride, the STi is best, if you want one of the coolest cars ever the Evo is best...lol...as for biasedness, I have a friend with a WRX and I've been asking on NASIOC or whatever about it and they actually all seem to like both cars equally...just food for thought
Old Jan 3, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

you mean they like the EVO and the STI equally, or the WRX and the STI equally?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 02:59 AM

sry to post again with the same msg from another thread but i just thought i might drop it here since more ppl read this one..

''well heres wut i think abt the evo and wrx... i have tried and evo vii and an sti before and i wouldnt really be able to state which car is better as a racer because it was just a casual drive around the city... but through reading many articles and hearing from a couple friends i would say the cars are very evenly matched... they both have different pros and cons... take turning for example... yes the evo does turn better than the sti but then if you look at the differences in the tuning of the engine you would notice the tuning of the turbo in the evo is a bit high... thus throwing a couple more tighter turns on it would create very noticable amounts of turbo lag... the sti on the otherhand is heavy but with a more powerful engine, so turning you would need to slow down more than an evo but after the turns the sti would bring the speed back up much quicker... so in my opinion i would say again that the cars are very evenly matched in terms of the overall feel and power''
Old Sep 26, 2005, 07:50 AM

I owned a 05 STi for about 9 months and had to sell to buy a house...anyways, I thought the car was nice, but more difficult to mod because of the boxer engine...meaning cams would not be as ez as on the evo, etc...again, this is very minor.

I gotta say that the seats in the STi absolutely sucked....I might be in the market to buy an evo in the next 6 months and need to spend some time in one to seal the deal.

I did a lot of track events in my STi and the thing was great, but there are many owners that are having oil burning issues that cannot seem to be pinned down...again, normal for a high output turbo car..I guess.

overall, if i were to do it again I would have got the evo...super ez to do high HP mods to it (400+) and I prefer to work on DOHC motors...the best thing to me is that the evo does all this with a 2.0 whereas the STi has another .5 liter displacement.

Either way, it's up to the individual...both cars rule.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atc5
I owned a 05 STi for about 9 months and had to sell to buy a house...anyways, I thought the car was nice, but more difficult to mod because of the boxer engine...meaning cams would not be as ez as on the evo, etc...again, this is very minor.

I gotta say that the seats in the STi absolutely sucked....I might be in the market to buy an evo in the next 6 months and need to spend some time in one to seal the deal.

I did a lot of track events in my STi and the thing was great, but there are many owners that are having oil burning issues that cannot seem to be pinned down...again, normal for a high output turbo car..I guess.

overall, if i were to do it again I would have got the evo...super ez to do high HP mods to it (400+) and I prefer to work on DOHC motors...the best thing to me is that the evo does all this with a 2.0 whereas the STi has another .5 liter displacement.

Either way, it's up to the individual...both cars rule.
werd
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was browsing the STI parts on some vendor sites and I noticed the turbo kits compared to the Evo's are much cheaper...maybe due to less parts?