Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g63t query

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4g63t query

Tech gurus,

question, is it true that reliabilty wise, on a stock internals the 1st gen 4g63t(like that of the vr4,talons,etc) is better than that of our 2nd gen ones (evos,eclipse,etc)...

i am currently discussing this with a friend.
in your experiece sir, on a stock internals how much HP could a 2nd gen 4g63t handle and from any information that you have how much Hp could a stock 1st gen 4g63t handle?

thanks so much!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1st gen Eclipses/Talons have bigger rods than 2nd gen Eclipses, so in theory, they should be able to handle slightly higher horsepower or last a little longer under light detontation. The rods for both generations are cast

The Evo's have the same size rod as the 2nd gen, but they are forged, which make them a lot stronger. Enough detontation can kill any rod/piston, but the stonger the rod, the more forgiving it will be.

That being said, I have a friend that has dynoed 556 whp on a stock 7-bolt (2nd gen) Eclipse. I believe that is the record for a stock 7-bolt, so even the small 2G rods could hold a good amount of power, given that you are not knocking. A no-knock tune is always the key. Also, I have been running anywhere from 350-400 whp for a couple years on the stock 7-bolt without any problems.

Most people, however, go by the guidelines of about 400whp for 2G Eclipses (7-bolt) and about 450-500 for 1G Eclipses. I'm not sure how far above that the Evo would be, but I would suspect more towards 550 whp. Again, with a safe tune.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
1st gen Eclipses/Talons have bigger rods than 2nd gen Eclipses, so in theory, they should be able to handle slightly higher horsepower or last a little longer under light detontation. The rods for both generations are cast

The Evo's have the same size rod as the 2nd gen, but they are forged, which make them a lot stronger. Enough detontation can kill any rod/piston, but the stonger the rod, the more forgiving it will be.

That being said, I have a friend that has dynoed 556 whp on a stock 7-bolt (2nd gen) Eclipse. I believe that is the record for a stock 7-bolt, so even the small 2G rods could hold a good amount of power, given that you are not knocking. A no-knock tune is always the key. Also, I have been running anywhere from 350-400 whp for a couple years on the stock 7-bolt without any problems.

Most people, however, go by the guidelines of about 400whp for 2G Eclipses (7-bolt) and about 450-500 for 1G Eclipses. I'm not sure how far above that the Evo would be, but I would suspect more towards 550 whp. Again, with a safe tune.

Eric
He nailed your question on the spot .
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:45 AM

thanks so much sir!