Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Bushur or HElix TBE with Test pipe
Helix
46.07%
Bushur
53.93%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Bushur or Helix TBE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004 | 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

I have to agree with David

I have had his TBE on since last Christmas when I got it as a present. (I have a great wife) At first it rattled a bit but after a bit of playing around with it (No, I'm not a "Mechanic" but I was a Machinist Mate in the Navy) it is fine now and I have had no issues with it. It seemed to "settle" into place a few days after the last adjustments.

If you keep the revs under 3000 it's quiet. Open it up and it sounds badass.

And in case anyone was wondering, when I had the rattle problem, David offered to make it right, whatever it took. So David has my vote. Next on my list is a FMIC.
Old Nov 23, 2004 | 01:59 PM

Well I just got off the phone with Jarrod at Buschur where I put in my order for the 3" TBE no cat and a magnaflow David made the offer too good to pass up when he threw in the free shipping! I will let you all know how the install goes here in the next couple of weeks.
Old Nov 23, 2004 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Didnt expect this post to get so long! Thanks for the feedback. I think im going to get the Helix, had it on my Wrx before and loved it. Unless David if you are reading this and can do something to convince me your is better or throw me an offer then i will go with yours, but right now im leaning towards Helix
Old Nov 23, 2004 | 02:09 PM

He threw in free shipping ......what has anyone selling Helix done to sweeten their deal?
Old Nov 23, 2004 | 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODB4G63
He threw in free shipping ......what has anyone selling Helix done to sweeten their deal?
Well Helix has free shipping!! So if David can offer me something better then i will be buying the Bushur system.
Old Nov 24, 2004 | 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

[Begin Chant] Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur --- Buschur ---
[End Chant]

Wow, I feel like I'm at a football game....
Old Nov 24, 2004 | 04:51 AM
EvoM Guru

I've got the Buschur TBE with no issues with the slip joints holding and no rattles (and I installed it at home myself). I've also had a fairly heavy slip joint custom exhaust on my Camaro for years without a problem. As David said, you have to tighten the band clamps with an impact wrench so that you are almost stretching the clamps around the pipes. It also helps to apply some upward pressure on the exhaust when you zing those clamps tight with the impact. If the exhaust is sagging at the joints when you tighten the clamps and you only tighten the clamps with a hand ratchet, of course its going to fall apart over time. If you don't have an impact, then you're probably better off finding someone that does to install it for you.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 04:31 PM

I just put my Helix TBE on tonight. I love it It is beautiful and fits awesome!!! Pulled hard on the way home too...I have not gotten into it too much yet, but what I did do on the way home felt awesome...I have some stock dyno numbers so I will dyno it again soon to see the difference.

Gruppe-S was awesome with customer service and had the exhaust to me in less than a week...
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 04:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Homegrown_Evo
I just put my Helix TBE on tonight. I love it It is beautiful and fits awesome!!! Pulled hard on the way home too...I have not gotten into it too much yet, but what I did do on the way home felt awesome...I have some stock dyno numbers so I will dyno it again soon to see the difference.

Gruppe-S was awesome with customer service and had the exhaust to me in less than a week...
yeah post the dyno, so the butt dyno felt good? i'm thinking about ordering helix full exhaust soon, and by the way, why is your font pink....lol
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 04:48 PM

Because PINK is my favorite color...All I have is stock dyno sheet for now...I can post that if you want...or I will post the new one when I have it done...
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I'm comparing both of these systems and hopefully withen a couple weeks I will be getting one of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I see it.
both systems are loud and made from good quality Full 3" SS.

Helix: TBE costs $765 but does not include the band clamps or anything to fix the CEL

Buschar: TBE costs $865 and does include the clamps and the CEL fix and with the new flange is just as easy to install. Right now you can also get Free shipping from Buschar.

so basically the Extra 100 bucks for the buschar system covers the CEL fix the clamps and shipping.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur = power ... isn't that the main reason you are doing it in the first place?
They don't really do "pretty" all that much, since you can't see anything once it's installed. I have their full 3" system with hi-flow cat (*hugs a tree*) and the $20 Magnaflow option (*hugs a cop*). It sounds great and hauls ***, I love it!

BUT ... They didn't send instructions (fortunately there's a how to on this site) ... and my midpipe arrived slightly bent at the inlet where it meets the cat. Not a big deal to straighten it. They also didn't provide a gasket or hardware to hold the cat to the DP of for the muffler hangers, so I had to buy all of that at a local auto parts store :-( That kind of pissed me off bc I told them to make sure I had everything I needed for the install and was willing to pay for any extra parts.

To finish it off, the system was about an inch too long and I had to take it to a muffler shop to have one of the pipes shortened, which isn't a big deal since they use slip-joints, but again, a small inconvenience.

When it was all said and done, it makes GREAT power and is quiet unless I am really getting on it, at which point it has an awesome sound ... no ricer bullsh!t raspy weed-eater sound.

I have zero experience with the Heix, so it may be just as good, just wanted to share my Buschur experience with you. Hope it helps.

Last edited by jbrown; Nov 26, 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

what is the thing that fixes the CEL? if you get a full exhaust, you will throw off a CEL? i didn't know it would effect the ecu that much
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 06:56 AM

I am running a high flow cat with my helix. I wanted it a little quiter. If you look on the gruppe-s site the home page under evo it says the cat delete is CEL free. My exhaust came with extra hardware and gaskets. Once again very happy with my purchase ...just my 2cents. Butt dyno does feel stronger...
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I don't understand the reason behind Buschur vs. Helix. They are both reputable manufacturers/tuners, but they both have their own plus or minuses.

If I understand correctly, the Buschur turbo back is connected with clams. There are no flanges it is almost impossible to replace the cat for emission check. Also, the Magnaflow muffler is hit or miss. Some of them sound like lawnmower. The Helix catback is awesome, but the downpipe often knock against the subframe (even the version 2).

If you want the muffler tip exiting straight (Helix is angled), then I recommend Greddy catback and RS-R downpipe. The latter is an extended pipe that includes the downpipe for about $250 Altogether: less than $800 shipped!

Quick Reply: Bushur or Helix TBE?