Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Bushur or HElix TBE with Test pipe
Helix
46.07%
Bushur
53.93%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Bushur or Helix TBE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2004 | 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered my Buschur Stage 1 (comes with TBE) last week. I am hoping to have it this week and installed next weekend. I will take plenty of pics and post them up. I will tell you everyone how the new flanges line up and how installation goes. I havent dealt with Buschur to much but the few times I have called Jarod has always been willing to help me out. I plan to get all my mods through Buschur Racing.
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

The Helix TBE is probably the nicest TBE you can buy for the price. Super thick flanges, fully polished, beautiful welds, and looks incredible. IMO, it sounds better than the Buschur TBE, and from what I have seen the Buschur TBE doesn't look like it always fits well (could be the installer). But there is no concern with the installer on the Helix... brainless install.

I would get the Helix, and by the look of the poll results, most others would as well.

Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Davidbuschur,

I now own a EVO MR and I am looking for a full turbo back. I read a lot in your website but it happens that I went to a shop the other day here in Tucson and the owner of the shop showed me the Buschur Down-pipe that you guys make.

Well, apparently the EVO owner that order this Down-pipe through this local shop was not too happy because:

1) the Down -pipe was NOT compatible with his aftermarket cat-back
2) The downpipe that you guys make is made of a 3" piping but the flange at the turbo side has a much smaller diameter "mouth". It is like the piping is wider but the actual hole is smaller kind off like having a ring restricting the flow.

Anyway, I never talk smack about no one specially when I can't provide the facts. I will go to the shop on Monday I will take a pic, I will measure the inner diameter of the flange and I will find out what type of cat-back this EVO guy was trying to install.

Now this goes for everyone. Can someone show me any dyno with both products?, how about you David Buschur? can you show me any dyno with the TBE on a EVO, I want to see the gains.
The same thing with the Helix, pixs anyone?. Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

is helix or buschar running any christmas specials on the complete TBE setup? as it stands now Buschar is 865 and Helix is 765 according to the websites.
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Davidbuschur,

I now own a EVO MR and I am looking for a full turbo back. I read a lot in your website but it happens that I went to a shop the other day here in Tucson and the owner of the shop showed me the Buschur Down-pipe that you guys make.

Well, apparently the EVO owner that order this Down-pipe through this local shop was not too happy because:

1) the Down -pipe was NOT compatible with his aftermarket cat-back
2) The downpipe that you guys make is made of a 3" piping but the flange at the turbo side has a much smaller diameter "mouth". It is like the piping is wider but the actual hole is smaller kind off like having a ring restricting the flow.
Anyway, I never talk smack about no one specially when I can't provide the facts. I will go to the shop on Monday I will take a pic, I will measure the inner diameter of the flange and I will find out what type of cat-back this EVO guy was trying to install.

Now this goes for everyone. Can someone show me any dyno with both products?, how about you David Buschur? can you show me any dyno with the TBE on a EVO, I want to see the gains.
The same thing with the Helix, pixs anyone?. Thanks
In response:

1: I think it's very well known that in order to use the Buschur Downpipe you'll either need to use the Buschur cat-back or have a flange welded on to adapt to whatever flange you're using for a cat. If the owner would have looked at the pictures of the system on www.buschurracing.com this wouldn't have been a surprise. I don't know about 'this' guy, but I tend to research the parts I buy and things like this are one of the first things I investigate.

2: I think you and 'this' guy need to take a look at the design of the O2 housing. Have you seen the outlet of the O2 housing? Take a peek at that and then tell me how Buschur's flange restricts flow. *HINT* The outlet of the O2 housing extends into Buschur's downpipe. The outlet of the O2 housing is SMALLER than the opening in Buschur's flange.

If you do a little poking around on these forums you'll find references made to... I believe TPR who conducted a shootout. Buschur's exhaust produced some of the highest numbers and lightest weight except for some Ti exhaust. Search, you'll find it!

Last edited by JustDSM; Nov 28, 2004 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 28, 2004 | 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I still maintain the Helix TBE is a beautiful unit...it is too loud though, the silencer is necessary t o avoid tickets. The sound is great though
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 06:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by feldguy
I still maintain the Helix TBE is a beautiful unit...it is too loud though, the silencer is necessary t o avoid tickets. The sound is great though
feldguy, hows the butt dyno with the helix tbe
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

The butt dyno says many good things about it. I never had the Buschur TBE on my own car, and I can't make quite the comarison between the two because the other car had cams and a UTEC in it, so....but....as far as the stock exhaust versus the Helix, the, engine runs smoother, louder, turbo spools drastically easier and quicker, and holds a solid 20 psi to redline with no fade or very little at all. When I put the silencer in, because it is LOUD, I notice it goes back to stock feel. Some rubbing occurs and some strange noises come, but it is built solidly and beautifully as well. I also notice the wastegate is much more audible through the DP than stock, you can hear it opening and closing during WOT low throttle spool.
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, when I switched from the Buschur TBE to my new Helix,perrin,greddy frankenstein exhaust I noticed a big difference till I noticed that my boost controller was on the low boost setting. Now between the both I don't feel a difference.

David,

So your Cat only has 1 flange? 4 more flanges for the rest of the exhaust is that much more costly? Sorry, but this is the worst thing I have ever heard.
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur, you silly poo face.
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Is it safe to say that the Helix with the silencer installed the hp gain is minimal?.....I like the look and the price of the Helix but if im not going to get alot of hp with the silencer installed i'm going to get the Buschur with the Magnaflow muffler. I'm only going with the catback to start because my dealer said if i only do a catback i can keep my warranty. Any input would be great!! I'm looking to order within the next week or so.
Old Nov 29, 2004 | 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

you think they would actually honor an Evo warrentee??
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
Is it safe to say that the Helix with the silencer installed the hp gain is minimal?.....I like the look and the price of the Helix but if im not going to get alot of hp with the silencer installed i'm going to get the Buschur with the Magnaflow muffler. I'm only going with the catback to start because my dealer said if i only do a catback i can keep my warranty. Any input would be great!! I'm looking to order within the next week or so.
What dealer?
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Tom Masano.......they said intake and catback you can keep your warranty....
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
bump for some help

Quick Reply: Bushur or Helix TBE?