Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Bushur or HElix TBE with Test pipe
Helix
46.07%
Bushur
53.93%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Bushur or Helix TBE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004 | 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Question Bushur or Helix TBE?

I am going crazy picking which exhaust i want for the car, its driving me nuts! I have it narowed down to Bushur or Helix.I have heard great things about buchur but i heard the exhaust sounds raspy. I dont care about quiet i like a loud exhaust. I used to have Helix uppipe and downpipe on my WRX and the quality is top notch . But i want to get the most hp out my car. anyone have dyno numbers on the Helix compared to the Bushur? Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you're lookin' for quality, go w/ Helix. You can't beat the fully polished SS piping and robotic TIG welds. They sound pretty bad a$$ too!
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Most HP, lightest weight, fully built from 304 stainless steel, human TIG welds, no reducers, no resonators, just straight through flow for the most HP possible, that's ours.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 01:47 PM

That's crazy I am in the same debate with myself right now! I read a thread that linked to an article showing the Buschur was the lightest (for the money, Titainium is the only thing lighter) and it yields the most HP but I will agree with you that the Helix definately looks better. I have a quote of $799 shipped for the Helix and $880 shipped for the Buschur.......well I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do!
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Should be $865 shipped with our full 3" offroad system. Also keep in mind if you go with a catless system you are going to need something to keep the CEL off with, our offroad system has this included in the system. The only difference in looks between the Helix and our system as far as looks go is going to be in the polishing. To be honest it does look nice polished, then you put it on your car and drive through water, salt, snow, dust, dirt, oil, bird ****, run over dead animals and in the end they both look the same. The exhaust is under the car and other than the muffler and tip I see no sense in wasting man hours, material and electric to polish what you can't see

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

My car is bone stock minus a TBE from Helix. I was very impressed when i opened the box. The flanges are thick and the welding is great. As far as performance gains go....i've never dynoed my car, but I did gain a good solid 5 mph in the trap speed. Not to mention dropped from a 13.7 to a 12.9...

I dont know much about the Buschur, but i do know many people that swear by their products. Just thought i'd let you in on my experience with Helix products.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

If all you care about is all out power without regards to looks or sound, go for the Buschur. For quality and looks, Helix. I just don't like the crooked tip.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

DOnt say for quality go with Helx cuz Buschur is still a quality exhuast just not pretty looking. It is still put together with great care and quality.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you do get the Buschur downpipe, request that they put a flex section on their downpipe because their downpipe has a flat flange where it meets the o2 housing. With a solid downpipe, the whole exhaust is going to cantilever off the o2 housing when going over bumps. This will stress the welds on the downpipe flange that meets the o2 housing.

The Helix downpipe utilizes the stock donut gasket and spring loaded bolts. So you won't need a flex section. The helix downpipe also clears the two lower tie bars with the need for spacers.

Just more food for thought for you guys deciding.

Last edited by marksae; Nov 19, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

SOME helix dps have problems with rubbing against the body of the car... i haven't encountered that with mine, and love it. s'all i can say about the helix... would definitely recommend it! gruppe-s i think has a special on it with karboy hangers which would greatly lower the possibility of rubbing!
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Buschur TBE on my car right now which is in the process of coming off. The reason I am changing to a Helix DP, Greddy Evo2 CB is because the Buschur is extremely loud even with a cat. I hate the slip joint idea, Dave if your reading this please put on flanges like normal people and I believe you would get a lot more sales than having to spen X amount of dollars and then on top of that if you wanted to have a flange on it you would either take it to an exhaust shop for X amount of dollars or but the silp fitting extra from Buschur.

This is my .02 worth.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 06:21 PM

Go with the Helix. I have the Helix on my car and it sounds great, and looks great. With the Helix exhaust, air filter, boost controller set at 21 psi, fuel pump, and Turbo Trix tune my car is making 321whp and 308wtq.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 06:52 PM

Smile

At first i thought my buschur was to loud but now i love it. great quality. nice power gains too.
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Questions:

I hear the loudness between these two is close, that getting the HFC is quieter than the Cat-delete. Do all agree?

With HFC on both the Buschur, I hear, is a bit louder. Do all agree?

There is a a "silencer" part for the Helix that can be easily removed. Is there one for the Buschur?

Does anyone know the power and loudness differential between having the silencer on vs. off?

How easy IS the silencer to take on and off of either/each?

Thanks any and all...
Old Nov 19, 2004 | 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Good info,

I've also been torn for some time. I'm hoping I can get a cat-back and o2 housing for xmas, heh. I already have Helix DP, so the Helix 02 housing and catback seems like a good fit. I'm not crazy about being too loud, but I figure I can always put the silencer in if need be. I actually got a ticket (that I beat in court) when I had just the Bushur AB, heh.

I'd love to get ~300+ dynojet AWHP, so completing my exhaust and a flash sounds like it should do the trick, and I'm leaning towards TurboTrix. I had thought I would need cams, but if I can get there without them that's better...

I've "heard" that the Helix is fairly deep, and not "that" loud unless you are WOT. I already have to be somewhat careful around town, so I can save WOT runs for times when there is no police or irritable citizen prescence. If it's deep, I think I'll like it, defnitely don't want a raspy or buzzy type sound. There are sound clips around, but you'll have to listen with a grain of salt. I also have a high flow cat to control noise to some extent.

Take care,

FB

Last edited by berkel; Nov 19, 2004 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Bushur or Helix TBE?