Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

$175 for Manifold and O2 Housing!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$175 for Manifold and O2 Housing!!!

Sorry I am just damn happy cause I just won an auction on ebay for the SS Auto Chrome Manifold and O2 housing for $175 so if you all are interested you need to go search it out because they had a couple of more combos on there and the manny alone is normally around $230 buy it now price. Anyway here is the pic.....anyone got these pieces and want to comment?
Attached Thumbnails 5 for Manifold and O2 Housing!!!-combo-copy.jpg  
Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have this piece.....I was worried about cracking due to an EGT welded bung.....rumor has it that a crack was noticed at the bung after several hard runs......

it would be great if anyone could comment as I am interested in this manifold.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

WoW..? only 175..? whats the ebay user ID..?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 03:33 PM

wow, that's really cheap. But you know what isn't? Lets say you put your turbo on there and one of the weld beads melt off and goes into your turbine housing at 15psi when the turbo is rotating at 60k rpms, lodges its self into the wheel, shocks the shaft and destroys your turbo. You can send the manifold back and get it warranteed and shop around for another turbo. I don't just say this as theory. Its happened before on these cheap things. And if you think an inner coating will help, guess again. The coating will not hold and will reduce your turbine wheel to a pitted mess. You get what you pay for. You guys are driving around in a 30k car, why skimp on a manifold?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by altrix99
wow, that's really cheap. But you know what isn't? Lets say you put your turbo on there and one of the weld beads melt off and goes into your turbine housing at 15psi when the turbo is rotating at 60k rpms, lodges its self into the wheel, shocks the shaft and destroys your turbo. You can send the manifold back and get it warranteed and shop around for another turbo. I don't just say this as theory. Its happened before on these cheap things. And if you think an inner coating will help, guess again. The coating will not hold and will reduce your turbine wheel to a pitted mess. You get what you pay for. You guys are driving around in a 30k car, why skimp on a manifold?
why does everybody thing that something has to be high price to be good. Sometimes companys make good products but are not in it to make a killing. also, have you ever thought that maybe if you make a product that is good at a lower cost you will sell more than the higher ones, therefore making more money!!!

i bought the same o2 housing and it looks excellent. i also won a carbon fiber hood on ebay for $1 (s&h 200) yesterday, i guess it is going to be junk cause it was so cheap!!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

i've had a SS Autochrome manifold for my S13, I could not even install it, the holes for the studs to mount the turbo were drilled in the wrong place and the manifold hit the tranny. It's super thin as well and will crack. I would not install it on a 30K car, quality sucks.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODB4G63
Sorry I am just damn happy cause I just won an auction on ebay for the SS Auto Chrome Manifold and O2 housing for $175 so if you all are interested you need to go search it out because they had a couple of more combos on there and the manny alone is normally around $230 buy it now price. Anyway here is the pic.....anyone got these pieces and want to comment?
i have this manifold with ATP's 3037s turbo kit....no problems so far about a month...i did have some fitament issues connecting it to the turbo flange..it wasn't level so i have to belt sand it to make it level..but it looks dope being the stainless turned blue/gold...
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:34 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

you get what you pay for. Let's just say you couldn't even come close to paying for raw materials over here for that price, let alone any kind of labor. They must have 10yr olds working for free in whatever country that is made. SS autochrome... I've heard these things crack like eggshells.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wprettyboy
why does everybody thing that something has to be high price to be good. Sometimes companys make good products but are not in it to make a killing. also, have you ever thought that maybe if you make a product that is good at a lower cost you will sell more than the higher ones, therefore making more money!!!

i bought the same o2 housing and it looks excellent. i also won a carbon fiber hood on ebay for $1 (s&h 200) yesterday, i guess it is going to be junk cause it was so cheap!!
The thing is, they are making a killing. These things are cheap and they don't really concentrate on quality. They look good, yeah for a little while. I mean, how thoroughly have they been tested? Ppl that have used them on cars that have been around alot longer then EVO's have had horror stories. Heat cycling over the long haul wreaks havoc on the structural quality of inferior metals and inferior craftsmanship. These things definitely have a shelf life. You can forget about them for a little while and ***** when something does happen. And until something catastrophic happens, you can concentrate on price. A good friend of mine used a questionable header in the past, probably from the same company and decided to bolt a GT30R turbo to it. I had pictures of the carnage but can't seem to find it. This $300 manifold costed him a $1200 dual BB turbo. It actually dented the turbine wheel and destroyed the center shaft that spit the bearings out and cracked the race in 3 months. Turbo warranty was thrown out and Garrett pretty much laughed when he sent it in for warranty. It costs a considerable amount of money manufacturing a quality part. The so-called high price items have high production costs associated with them. Use some common sense. BTW, carbon fiber hoods can't be equated to a drivetrain component and an 02 housing will be a hassle if it cracks but it will not destroy a turbo, not to mention the vast difference in temperature pre turbo and post turbo...

Also, there was a thread a little while back about coating companies refusing to coat the inside of the manifold. You wanna guess why?

Last edited by altrix99; Nov 19, 2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I've beat the SHlT out of mine (manifold) with no issues what so ever... never mind the brain washed nay sayers... they speak only out of either retail envy, or are regurgitating JDM washed internet garbage. It is a solid piece, with mediocre quality control. Some people have fitment issues with the manifolds, some don't. However, the issues are minor. Myself and others have posted reviews here, so use the search function and read to your heart's content.

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 19, 2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I've beat the SHlT out of mine (manifold) with no issues what so ever... never mind the brain washed nay sayers... they speak only out of either retail envy, or are regurgitating JDM washed internet garbage. It is a solid piece, with mediocre quality control. Some people have fitment issues with the manifolds, some don't. However, the issues are minor. Myself and others have posted reviews here, so use the search function and read to your heart's content.

I was gonna post something very very similar!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:31 AM

How does one 'BEAT the ****' out of the manifold? Did you hammer it on there? Attached is the before pics of the GT30R that I'm talking about. I still can't find the pics of that or the exhaust manifold and pieces of it found in the turbine housing, but next to it is an explosion shot of a GT28R turbo that had a similiar thing happen on an SR20DET motor w/ one of those ebay manifolds. I believe they are the same SSAutochrome ppl.

Trust me, I've probably been at this game alot longer then you and have seen alot more. I have 7 pics of different turbos I've gone through w/in the past 5yrs alone. Most are upgrades ONLY as I only deal w/ quality components, namely cast manifolds, with no real power sacrifice. Some of my buddies/colleagues deciding to skimp out on certain things almost always pay for it in the end. Remember, this is not a HONDA. You push 4-500hp out of these cars and you're building some serious stress..

What you have a 1 yr old car? Like you've really tested it. If you're happy, great, just calling it as I've seen it. Good luck w/ your manifold

Last edited by altrix99; Nov 20, 2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

congrats man, you must be planning on staying with the stock turbo for a while or one that retains the stock manifold? Anyways, should make a nice dressup peice. I have heard many many bad things about these things, but i guess you can always get it welded back up nicely.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

How does one 'BEAT the ****' out of the manifold? Did you hammer it on there? Attached is the before pics of the GT30R that I'm talking about. I still can't find the pics of that or the exhaust manifold and pieces of it found in the turbine housing, but next to it is an explosion shot of a GT28R turbo that had a similiar thing happen on an SR20DET motor w/ one of those ebay manifolds. I believe they are the same SSAutochrome ppl.

Trust me, I've probably been at this game alot longer then you and have seen alot more. I have 7 pics of different turbos I've gone through w/in the past 5yrs alone. Most are upgrades ONLY as I only deal w/ quality components, namely cast manifolds, with no real power sacrifice. Some of my buddies/colleagues deciding to skimp out on certain things almost always pay for it in the end. Remember, this is not a HONDA. You push 4-500hp out of these cars and you're building some serious stress..

What you have a 1 yr old car? Like you've really tested it. If you're happy, great, just calling it as I've seen it. Good luck w/ your manifold

You've come to the wrong place to try and wage an internet superiority war... If you have not run this manifold on this platform, bow out now. The readership at large seems to be most interested in first hand Evolution experience. Granted, pasted automotive experience applies... Buschur, RRE and others come to mind. I was shoving big bump sticks into V8s, and bolting reworked snails on 3 1/4 CATs in early 80's. I've also had my fair share of fun with VR4s, GSXs, MKIVs, and various Honda applications. However, that doesn't mean I know jack about the stresses pertaining to the Evolution. Yes, the DSMs are simular... and much of the knowledge of any "modern" turbo application can be carried over to some degree.

So don't think I'm some green kid (my 13 year old has more wrench time than many) running around here thinking I'm the authority on the issue. I merely have an opinion based on personal experience... no matter how short that may be on my 2 year old car...

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 20, 2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:45 AM

You've come to the wrong place to try and wage an internet superiority war... If you have not run this manifold on this platform, bow out now. The readership at large seems to be most interested in first hand Evolution experience. Granted, pasted automotive experience applies... Buschur, RRE and others come to mind. I was shoving big bump sticks into V8s, and bolting reworked snails on 3 1/4 CATs in early 80's. I've also had my fair share of fun with VR4s, GSXs, MKIVs, and various Honda applications. However, that doesn't mean I know jack about the stresses pertaining to the Evolution. Yes, the DSMs are simular... and much of the knowledge of any "modern" turbo application can be carried over to some degree.

So don't think I'm some green kid (my 13 year old has more wrench time than many) running around here thinking I'm the authority on the issue. I merely have an opinion based on personal experience... no matter how short that may be on my 2 year old car...
OK, first off, I think you were the one that was attacking me on my initial statements so as far as I'm concerned, you were the one w/ this superiority war thing going on. I think I've illustrated personal experiences w/ this company's products as they have similiar products manufactured for various vehicles. I do have an Evolution and have had the GVR4 (which my younger brother is driving right now), 1st Gen Eclipse GSX that I owned for 4 yrs w/ fully built motor and 20G turbo. I've also owned RX7's, 300ZX TT and am planning on a GTI 1.8T as my next project. My first performance buildup was an 83 Saab 900T back in '88 so I've had over 15yrs TURBOCHARGING experience. I'm a CAD engineer w/ CFD analysis technical knowledge. Heres something you can chew on...Coming real soon...

Last edited by altrix99; Nov 20, 2004 at 11:14 AM.