Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS vs RNR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AMS vs RNR

all are big serios companies
Can you vote for one of them and explaine why?
Compare their turbo kits AMS GT35R vs RNR GT35R?
Power,quality etc.
What is your impressions?
And what about GT40R kit? Why RNR already has it and AMS will release it in 2-3 months?
Thanks for your support
Old Nov 19, 2004, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Hmm wonder who I'd vote for? You need to find someone that has personal experience with both kits. I have experience with both kits, but I'm not going to comment being that everyone would view my opinion as being biased because I work for AMS. You can PM me if you would like.

We havent released the GT40R yet because we are not done with testing. We test and test products for months before we release them. We may not be the first to market, but when we finally decide to release the product, you can rest assured that it will be top notch.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well, from everything I've read online AMS is a hell of a shop. Recently RnR had a group buy for their turbo kits which were really cheap so I jumped right on it. I am currently waiting for their SC61 turbo kit, but I've been waiting for a while now. Giving them a few more days, if they don't hurry up, I am going with AMS for sure.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt right now, since the reviews for RnR are somewhat 50/50 on the boards. I'll keep you all updated.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:11 PM

GT40 on a 2.0L, yuck.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gsnt
We havent released the GT40R yet because we are not done with testing. We test and test products for months before we release them. We may not be the first to market, but when we finally decide to release the product, you can rest assured that it will be top notch.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Are both AMS and RNRs turbos built the same? lets say both their GT35R turbos, would they both spool at exactly the same RPM? or is one built a little differently then the other so it would spool a bit sooner? (assuming same exhaust manifold and same supporting mods, only turbos from different shops). thanks
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

If you do a search on here you will fine that everyone that has our turbo kit has been super happy. There are several threads on here about the subject. We have asuper high quality products and offer a lifetime warranty with our manifolds. No one else in the business even comes close to that feature. We do take a little time to build kits as they are hand crafted. The manifolds are built by hand one by one. This is how we can insure the product is of the highest quality and will never crack.

The GT40 is not recommend for a 2.0. You need at the minumum a 2.3, built bottom end and head, EMS, etc. We recommend going with the GT35R if you are looking for a more pruven set up that has worked so well on the EVO. The GT40 has not been released to the public as of yet.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i recommend slickmotorsports ....matt there can answer any questions about the kits. I love mine 216-361-1150

Last edited by evodave; Sep 19, 2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

AMS has their sepcs for their turbos and RnR has their specs for their turbos. As far as history tells the spool and power seem to be similar even though we have different kits.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

I have tried RNR Kit worked very well on a GT35/42 turbo by Turbo dynamics UK this is very similar to a GT35R engine made 618hp ATF on UK pump fuel on a engine dyno 2.158cc engine,
I am now trying a AMS GT35R on this Thursday on a 2.227cc engine aiming for 550hp on pump on this engine this is on standard size valves and stock TB,
Both kits Look very good but I will be using a AMS kit on my own engine providing Thursday goes like I hope with it, It should as the kit looks top notch if not then I would have no problem with using the RNR kit,
So I cant say 100% which I think is best until I test the AMS, So I recomend you speak to each one and see who you like talking to choose.

Mark
Old Nov 20, 2004, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clear things up the GT40R is being tossed around on here in reffrence to AMS. I think Eric (GSNT) is a little confused on the topic. AMS is in the process of producing a higher HP (800+) alternative but as of yet we are still testing turbo's to find the one that will best suit out customers needs. Please be patient on the matter. We take a while to develop things but we make sure they are the best of the best. So once again there is a High HP turbo kit option on the way but whether it is a GT40R or not is still up in the air. Thanks for all the kind words guys. We really appreciate it.

Eric
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:30 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

We could choose to throw in a GT40R but you people would not be happy with the spool up. Without giving out too much info, I'm testing....re-configuring.....re-testing....re-configuring again..and then testing one more time. In the end I will offer a turbo that has the power potential of a GT40 without the lag. If you look at the two compressor wheels of the GT35 and the GT40 (the larger trim) there is about a 5lbs/min difference in flow capacity. The GT40 54 trim wheel is a higher pressure ratio wheel than the GT35R meaning that it should be good for more power at higher boost levels. Let's just say from initial testing it looks like this setup should push almost 700whp on a maxed out 2.0L setup with only a few hundred RPM more lag compared to the GT35R. Thats about an honest 60-70whp increase on our dyno over the GT35R.

There has never been one problem with installing our kit, it comes pre-assembled, everything fits easily, there are no clearance problems, and it looks pimp!

-Martin
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I got the AMS gt35R myself. The lag is not bad at all. The quality of the product is great and I love the design of the whole kits.

For those on stock engine and a daily driver, dont get the big turbos. U'll ended up not liking ur evo at all. Stay with the smaller setup such as the GT3071S, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think that there will not a big difference in spool up betwwen gt35 and gt40 on 2.3 engine.
But you`ll not have any opponents! Even the fastest Porshe will not catch you!
think about it!
Old Nov 22, 2004, 01:33 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

The GT40 exhaust wheel is much larger than the GT5R wheel, plus your only options for turbine housings are all big A/R.... you are probably talking about an 800rpm hit in spool up compared to a well configured GT35R. What I'm working on will have about a 300rpm difference in spool.

Quick Reply: AMS vs RNR