Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just installed Blitz ebc -- need help w/a couple issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Just installed Blitz ebc -- need help w/a couple issues

I just installed a Blitz electronic boost controller and a couple of things bother me about what I see on my Defi D boost gauge.

First, when the boost reaches its max point the needle on the Defi boost gauge seems to waver back and forth about 1/2 psi. It doesn't hold rock stable and I can feel the very slight wavering in the power of the car as the RPMs climb. If I didn't have the gauge, I'm not sure whether I'd notice it or not. It's very slight. It does hold the boost with no taper, except for this slight wavering. And it happens independent of boost level. Same problem at 16psi as 19psi.

Second, the boost readout on the Blitz controller is about 1 psi lower than my Defi D boost gauge, but they are tee'd into the same boost source (vacuum line between the BOV and the intake manifold). The Blitz reads 1 psi lower than the Defi gauge and the Defi is upstream of the boost controller. Has anyone else had this issue? Not sure which one to trust!

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:30 PM
EvoM Guru

BUMP. BTW, could fouled plugs cause this? My car has been running a Walbro without a part throttle retune for a few months.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Blitz EBC and it's been working great. Unfortunately I am using it as my boost gauge at the same time. It pulls real strong up to 20 psi in 2, 3, 5 while 1 and 4 are right at about 19.5 My boost is strong with maybe .2 drop from peak through out each gear. Did you use all of the hoses provided and connectors? I had to use the hose expanders for the hoses from the Turbo to the solenoid.

It's weird how your Defi is giving you a wavering reading. What are your settings for the boost controller as well?

Sorry for the load of questions but do you have an aftermarket blow off valve as well?

Let me know so I can do what i can to help.

Jason
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same set up also and its pretty consistent on the boost.and i use it also as a gauge like dr.bump.is that wavering while on wot or just cuising it?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Wavering needle is at WOT only and you can't see it on the SBC digital gauge readout, only on the Defi gauge. My BOV is a 1G recirculating from Buschur, so I don't think that it's the problem. I'm really suspecting the plugs, so I'm going to try swapping in some new ones, especially if I find them fouled. I did use the hoses from the Blitz kit and I was very careful with the install not to leave any leak-prone connections. Everything is zip tied and all of my IC pipes are hard lines with t-bolt clamps and silicon connections (except for one).

On the settings, I haven't fully dialed that in yet. I think I'm going to end up at about 58 for 19psi. I tried gains from the mid 20s into the low 40s and still didn't see any problematic spiking. I didn't do too much fiddling with it because I was concerned about the wavering needle. I'm going to hook up my wideband before I drive the car again to make sure that the car is getting enough fuel and that the wavering isn't the car intermittently leaning out

BTW, have any of you guys compared your Blitz boost "gauge" accuracy to another gauge? Defis are supposed to be pretty accurate, so I'm wondering if the Blitz is miscalibrated. I guess I need a 3rd opinion from another gauge...

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 23, 2004 at 03:58 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:07 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't comment on the wavering of the gauge.

I can comment on the accuracy of the d gauge though. When I got dynoed my defi d boost gauge was reading 1.5-2 lbs higher than the gauge on the dyno. The shop had seen this before with these particular gauges. I was extremely disappointed knowing this...
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

For you guys that do have these installed i have that optional harness installed to a couple of the ECU readings. How do I know what to set my voltages to? I just guessed / used what Blitz had for examples.

Last time I checked my settings were 61 and like 24 gain (I think) and pull right at about 20.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

the blitz dcII turbotimer shows the voltage for the evo.and i have the same settings for the set and gain,which gives me 20psi also.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Second, the boost readout on the Blitz controller is about 1 psi lower than my Defi D boost gauge, but they are tee'd into the same boost source (vacuum line between the BOV and the intake manifold). The Blitz reads 1 psi lower than the Defi gauge and the Defi is upstream of the boost controller. Has anyone else had this issue? Not sure which one to trust!
I have the same issue. Everyone that I asked has mentioned that the reading on your boost controller is the more accurate one.