Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR Oil filter.... is it different??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
MR Oil filter.... is it different??

While changing the oil in my MR.... I checked the part # and it is a MD356000.
The filters that mitsubishi sold me were MZ690116.

I searched around the forums and found some discussion but no definitive answer.
Does anyone know if the MZ replaces the MD??....
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MD P/N seems to be sold anywhere else but the US and appears to be still used by the manufacture when building the engine. So the MR uses the same filter as the other Evo's and in the US the MZ replaced the MD p/n.

What PO'ed me is that the cup I purchased for the MD doesn't fit the MZ. Also the MZ is even harder to fit w/o removing the undertray in the area of the filter. (<- my rant on this subject.)
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu has cheapened production costs of oil filters on their US market cars. They now can fit any of the cars they sell in the US with one of two different size oil filters. Wether or not these "new" oil filters (MZ690116 in particular) can hold up to the high oil pressures generated by the Evo will be a test of time.

Many people out there are quick to defend Mitsu and say there is no way they would cut costs and use an inferior part, but that's up to you to decide to beleive or not. My theory is that we'll probably see a lot of Evo's that use these "new and improved" oil filters start dying earlier than ones that use a different oil filter (like the Mobil 1 M1-108). They probably won't start dying soon, but more or less sometime after their warranty expires, and then Mitsu can claim it wasn't a manufacturing fault at all (see 2nd Gen DSM Crankwalk as a reference as to how they tend to do business).
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Mitsu has cheapened production costs of oil filters on their US market cars. They now can fit any of the cars they sell in the US with one of two different size oil filters. Wether or not these "new" oil filters (MZ690116 in particular) can hold up to the high oil pressures generated by the Evo will be a test of time.

when I order my oil filter..... the dealer gave me the MZ 690072, which is about 1/4 smaller than the one came with my 03 Evo. I asked the dealer and they said I can use that......it fit perfect and i have no problem so far.

With a slighty small filter....I believe the oil pressure will increase a bit
So....Do you think I will have problem with this "smaller filter" in the long run?

thank you
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhosEVO
when I order my oil filter..... the dealer gave me the MZ 690072, which is about 1/4 smaller than the one came with my 03 Evo. I asked the dealer and they said I can use that......it fit perfect and i have no problem so far.

With a slighty small filter....I believe the oil pressure will increase a bit
So....Do you think I will have problem with this "smaller filter" in the long run?

thank you

I would run the Mobil 1 M1-108 and never worry about it again. All Mitsu "MZ" oil filters are the "new" style, which have cheaper looking internals.

I'm sure someone will chime in here in a second and say that my reasoning is unfounded, but beleive whatever you want, just like I am going to beleive whatever I want.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:41 PM

Many people out there are quick to defend Mitsu and say there is no way they would cut costs and use an inferior part, but that's up to you to decide to beleive or not. My theory is that we'll probably see a lot of Evo's that use these "new and improved" oil filters start dying earlier than ones that use a different oil filter (like the Mobil 1 M1-108). They probably won't start dying soon, but more or less sometime after their warranty expires, and then Mitsu can claim it wasn't a manufacturing fault at all (see 2nd Gen DSM Crankwalk as a reference as to how they tend to do business).
I have changed my oil 2 times so far. OEM was made in Japan very light and the internal design looked up for the car level. Second one I got from the dealership it was made in Japan but it was a lot HEAVIER but the internal design seem to be simliar. Third one I got from the dealership(this month) It was made in Thailand. It's lighter like the first one came with the car but the internal design is very simple just like the cheap Thrust filters. I might consider changing from OEM to other brands soon.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:19 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the new one's look cheap. I still have a bunch of 356000 which is much heavier than the orginal. But now I wish I had bought a case
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Ill keep the old MD and on my next oil change cut open the MD and the MZ.
Ill let everyone know what i find.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone used Purolator PL14459 filters?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
All I use is the Pure One PL14459 on my EVO. Also, the Napa Gold "Wix" filters are nice.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

The PL14459 appear to fit allot of Japanese cars, including Subaru, Honda, and Mitsu.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run the Mobil 1 M1-108 and never worry about it again. All Mitsu "MZ" oil filters are the "new" style, which have cheaper looking internals.

I'm sure someone will chime in here in a second and say that my reasoning is unfounded, but beleive whatever you want, just like I am going to beleive whatever I want.

Thats what I always use + the K&N
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

mitsu converted to a 2 filter system years back. one for all 4 cylinders, and one for the 6 cylinders.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
Given how eager Mitsu is to void warranties, why would anyone use anything but OEM? Even if the aftermarket piece is superior, they will argue that any and all engine problems were due to not using the Mitsu filter. You will be stuck trying to gather the necessary science to support your theory that the filter was irrelevant to the subsequent problem.

I think that says is all. from this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&page=5&pp=15
Old Nov 23, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
mitsu converted to a 2 filter system years back. one for all 4 cylinders, and one for the 6 cylinders.

The "new" filter they want us to use for the Evo is also designed to work on the Mitsu sport-utes that have V-6 motors, along with cars like the new Eclipse.

The new style oil filter is garbage, IMO.

Quick Reply: MR Oil filter.... is it different??