Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knows what thast guy was thinkin when he attempted to compare a honda to any sportscar... With exception to the S2000, or NSX, there is no honda around that can even line up next to a DSM.. Not even those cars really can... I sport a 93 GSX with 140k on it and still run consistant mid 12's... With COMPLETELY stock internals!!! If serviced regularly, it will last forever.. And the situation with crank walk, The 2nd gens primarily the 95 and some 96's had the problem, but the problem has been solved by . Now the drivetrains are not a problem if used correctly. Some people tend to think that you can bring an AWD car, wether it be a DSM or WRX (I own both) , Raise the RPM's to 6000 and drop the clutch and think that it'll hold time and time again, is seriously mistaken.. It's not meant to do that people... Take care of your **** and it'll be aaaalllriight!!! later..
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by onegee

Crankwalk isn't an exclusive 2g problem...my friend's 1g crankwalked last week...

oh and cooperawd, my bad bro...im not trying to correct YOU in particular..lol...just noticed this was the 2nd post of urs i corrected...pz
did the crank walk clutch side? is it a 7 bolt 1g? what clutch was he running (2600, or puc style?).... what was the meausment on it?

Crank walk isnt a DSM specific problem, any car can have "crank walk" or thrust bearing failure, though its very uncommon in most cars, except the 2g eclipses. A lot of cars will walk clutch side with a heavy load clutch, even EVO's have been known to do this. Most the 2g cars that have crankwalk problems dont always get fixed correctly... of course there isnt a true specific answer to what the problem was so no one knows the absolute correct way to fix them correct?

Mitsu replaced a bunch of cranks and bearings under warranty... only to have the engines have the same problems in the future. So its kind of hard to truely see how many crankwalk cars have been around... especially when they get to the 3rd+ owner

I knew that the t-case recall was for all dsms, but its a problem thats seen usually on the 1g's... infact i cant think of any 2g awd's that have the recall done (from ppl on the list), but its deffinalty not something i looked into.

I personally would never get a 2g DSM unless i had the intent of putting in a 6 bolt or it allready had a 6bolt engine. Too much invested to have to replace the engine is the way i look at it.

Btw, i dont mind you correcting me at all, usually i have more input on the subject so your giving me a chance to better explain my comments.

Last edited by CooperAWD; Dec 19, 2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:01 PM

he has a 90 tsi awd, so 6bolt motor and he had a 2600 ACT ...too much IMHO...i just stuck with my 2100..holds up pretty well...

so yeah, it walked from the clutch side, he could actually shimmy it back and forward flywheel and all...

I personally would never get a 2g DSM unless i had the intent of putting in a 6 bolt or it allready had a 6bolt engine. Too much invested to have to replace the engine is the way i look at it.
SO TRUE!!! i was planning on getting another DSM coz i was tired of all the stuff i had to replace or do to my car so i was going to get a 99 gsx...but man, the more and more i started to weigh the pros and cons, fucc it..haha... 6bolts own
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:47 AM

i got a 2600 in my car now

Hopefully i wont have many problems for a while and i can get started on a built 6 bolt with the money i have saved.

I plan to stay on my stock turbo till it goes out though (just finish getting everything else ready)... i'll probably be one of few people to have an AFC & FMIC on a 14b car
Old Jan 2, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

My 2G has 141k on it, BUT I still have a stock clutch in it and don't drag race it. I do run it hard ( drivers schools ), but take the time to maintain my car from front to back. I've never had a reliablity issue with it, but I do question many of the engineering features of the 2G. That's why I'd prefer the EVO, cause it is purpose built and IS the way a car should be short of the transmission, AYC and ACD.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Having owned a 93 RX-7 I can attest to the abysmal reliabilty of this car. Mine went through 3 motors in 75,000 miles with nothing but a cat back exhaust on it. Unfortunately they are one of the worlds great driving machines when running correctly and are highly addictive. Just not reliable. Now on to the reliabilty of the EVO. I now own a stock 1997 GSX that I took to the delaer (86,000 Miles) with a leaking transfer case. This is a serious issue on ALL DSM cars from 1990-1999. It is a safety recall and I had them replace the case under recall even though it had been done 2 years earlier. The rep at tried to tell me that the recall had been "satisified". Not to my satisfaction however as it was leaking like a stuck pig. Anyway while at the dealer the mechanic notices I have almost half an inch of CRANKWALK!! I was not happy to say the least. He then goes on to tell me that he does approx 10 cars a month with crankwalk and that most of the customer don't even realize it. He showed me 4 cars in the shop 2 95's, 1 96 and 1 98 all with crarnkwalk. I think that EVERY 2nd Gen will get crankwalk to some degree or another. My car is almost undriveable now and will need a 6 bolt transfusion shorlty before it strands my *** like my RX-7 did. The good news is that the EVO is built in Japan and hopefully that means no crankwalk. My money will be going to Subaru for the STI, no crankwalk issues there( hopefully the new 6 speed trannie can handle the grunt)

Brett.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:35 AM

The good news is that the EVO is built in Japan and hopefully that means no crankwalk.
What does that have to do with anything?

The problem with a transfercase isnt the t-case itself, its a brass plug that leaks... replacment of the full t-case is not neccisary.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

The only motors that have chronic CRANKWALK were assembled here in the US between the 95-99 model GSX and GST. None of the EVO 7 bolt motors during this time suffer the chronic Crankwalking of the US built cars in the same time frame. I suspect to many brewskies being consumed by the workers in Normal, IL are partly to blame for all of thses problems in the second gen cars. I feel safer in the knowledge that the EVO is 100% Japanese and built entirely there.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 06:44 PM

Thrust bearing failure or "CRANKWALK" is a problem from in the design flaw. Most speculation says that there was either a bad run in bearing or in the cranks...

Who built and designed these pieces?

For 1g's assembled in normal IL dosent mean they made all the parts there too.

As for your 2g... what did chrylser/dodge have to do with it?

quote from vfaq.com:
2G cars are considered DSMs because they are direct descendants of the original DSM cars. Although they were technically not built by Diamond Star Motors, their connection to the original line is unmistakable, as they share the name, trim levels and original intention of the 1G cars.

Also, some early 95 cars have DSM labeling on them, leading many to believe that all 2Gs were built by Diamond Star Motors. This is not the case, as Diamond Star Motors officially ceased to exist in mid-1993, when Chrysler sold off all of its Mitsubishi holdings, technically making the 1994 cars the last of the DSMs.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Simply put EVO doesn't suffer this.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:37 PM

I have only owned one mitsu, a 96 eclipse GSX and it had SERIOUS reliability problems....which sucked because it had been my dream car since I was a teenager....trading it in was a shattered dream. I LOVE the lancer and have drooled over it since the first time I saw a WRC version ripping it. I want an EVO but am scared I would suffer the same reliability problems I did with my previous mitsu. doesnt the EVO use the same 2 liter turbo motor?..... hopefully I just had a lemon...but crankwalk seemed to run rampant enough among owners of all years of the 2G.