Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability

I Have been a Die hard fan for years, and I am very excited that they are bringing the Evo to the states. My favorite company is Honda... But my second fav. car is the VR-4. All turbo cars are known for breaking down as I have herd countless times. The VR-4 cost $60,000 brand new and breaks down alot, Same goes with the GSX and the other Turbo Eclipse. I was wondering what you guys had to say on the reliability of the Evo's, and comming from people who own Evo's, what do you think will be the reliabily of the Evo VIII by looking at the past cars as well.

Thank You
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

The DSMs had that problem with crankwalk (in cases of inattention to one's care of their vehicle), and some DSMs had notoriously weak drivetrains. However, that being said, the Evo is a testament to the durability of a vehicle, by most accounts. I can't say I own one, but, I haven't heard yet of a problem with an Evo that was factory related. And, Mitsu has amassed a reptuation of having some bullet-proof drivetrains, of late, and I need not tell you of it's reputation for turbo-building.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

The DSM's were built in Normal, Illinois so that might be problem number one: American built. You're not going to see any US built Evos. As for the 3kGT's, they were technological nightmares. Simply to big for their britches with AWS, AWD, self-adjusting spoilers etc. The Evo is a much simpler car overall, especially being a 4 banger.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not to mention the cost on the 3kgt's because of all those gadgets and systems.

I know Mitsubishi doesn't have the rep for reliability that H&A have, but I rarely hear of serious and common problems with any models. Aside from crankwalk I really don't see there being any serious reliability issues with their modern cars at all. (Am I just missing or forgetting something?)
Old Dec 8, 2002, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

If I remember right, I remember people posting about problems with their AYC. There was a recall of some sort?
Old Dec 8, 2002, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

AYC problem was apparent in the EVO IV~EVO V. The problem has been identified and fixed with VI and TME. The VII and VIII should not have any problems....So you guys in Canada and US should be OK. The ACD system really has no mechanical problems but the trend in Japan is re-programming the ACD computer unit. I'll look around to see if there's specifc reason or is based on preference.PEACE
Old Dec 8, 2002, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks alot!!!! I did not want to resort to wanting the STI.... Thanks, Im so happy...
Old Dec 8, 2002, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by I4K20C
Thanks alot!!!! I did not want to resort to wanting the STI.... Thanks, Im so happy...
I can't say the same... I wanna see how both these car's really perform instead of just speculation. BTW, how many turns on the steering wheel are needed to go from lock to lock on the STi? I know the EVO is 2 turns.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

I seem to remember reading 2.7 somewhere for the STi. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by evo_dan; Dec 8, 2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 07:53 PM

DSM crank walk or thrust baring failure is talked about more than anything... i'm not saying it dosent happen, but it surely dosent happen as much as its played up to. Besides, its only the 2g's that have that problem, apart from small problem with the t-case leaking on some 1g's (recalled & fixed by mitsu) there isnt any problems there.

A DSM is a reliable car, compartivly speaking, if its stock... once its modified the drive train becomes an issue. Plus the fact that the people who own DSM’s usually consist of kids in their late teens which are known to dog the **** out of cars isnt helping the reliability issue any.

Now i'm gonna go off on a rant, forgive me while I write a novel as my post... who ever mentioned that the problem with the dsm was the fact that it was assembled in the US... well they were just that, the crank walk was a MMC problem, and I really hope you were joking.

I’m not trying to pick on anyone now, but lets look further into this for future reference... how many '90s Japanese sports cars or super cars (i said sports cars, that means no Hondas) have had problems here in the US?

Well, the Fd3s rx7 didn’t last long because they overheated and Mazda bit the bullet fixing a high percentage of what few percentage they could sell.

The vr4, well as mentioned before... is a nightmare... apart from all the extra gadget crap it has, the 1g engines are pretty ****ty (crank problems correct?).

We've already spoke of the DSM... and its not even the top of the line sports car from mitsu.

Toyota 3rd generation mr2 turbo, mid engine, lots of problems, and is about the same as a DSM from a performance standpoint... need i say more?

The Nissan 240sx has been good, but it isnt exactly speedy... infact Nissan really never brought a “super car” to America… probably were better off seeing that most of the other cars didn’t sell due to the large price tag and impracticalness of the cars.

The only good, true sports car thus far has been the Supra and possibly the NSX despite the fact that I think the NSX is highly overrated.

When it comes down to it, a lot of the US sports car make more power and are faster (stock) in the 1/4mile than the Japanese imports (easiest way to compare) we get here in the US. Besides that it is easy for a car with the hp that a Honda makes to be as reliable as the Honda is. Meanwhile, their hasnt been all that many problems with camaros, corvettes and mustangs here in the U.S. (for over 40 years much less just the 90's). They have lasted as well if not better than the Japanese super cars of the 90's while performing at the same level of competition with a lower sticker price (in most occasions).

I'm not trying to dog imports, hell I do own a dsm and love a lot of imports (if the make dosent start with an H), but when it comes to the true sports cars the phrase "reliable import" pretty much goes out the window here in the US. And i'm sick of people neglecting to realize the truth in this argument while they sit back and say that all imports are more reliable than US cars. Hopefully 5 years from now the Evo can be added in the good list with the supra.

This isnt directed for anyone exactly, just thought i'd get my point across... if you think this post is too off subject or offensive for this board, which wasnt my intent, please go ahead and delete it.

Last edited by CooperAWD; Dec 8, 2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know where the reliability issue comes from. Every mitsubishi that was actually taken care of properly has run great. My friend has a talon that has over 200K miles on the original engine and he can still pull a 12.8 at the track. He always took care of the motor though. All the problems I have seen are where people didnt perform normal maintenence or didn't pay attention to warning signs on "stupidly" modified cars. Even the crankwalk rarely appears on a stock car.
I would like to see reliability of the turbo honda motors, before making a fair comparison.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
I don't know where the reliability issue comes from. Every mitsubishi that was actually taken care of properly has run great. My friend has a talon that has over 200K miles on the original engine and he can still pull a 12.8 at the track. He always took care of the motor though. All the problems I have seen are where people didnt perform normal maintenence or didn't pay attention to warning signs on "stupidly" modified cars. Even the crankwalk rarely appears on a stock car.
I would like to see reliability of the turbo honda motors, before making a fair comparison.
Imo, this is One of the two reasons why Honda will never touch a turbo, and two that they are built on pride. They take pride in building N/A cars that can do jus as good as a twin-turbo car, and is more fuel ecconomical and is more reliable.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by I4K20C

Imo, this is One of the two reasons why Honda will never touch a turbo, and two that they are built on pride. They take pride in building N/A cars that can do jus as good as a twin-turbo car, and is more fuel ecconomical and is more reliable.
Air you smoking crack?

I dont see any 250hp+ 4 cylinder honda cars straight from the factory... Hell, You hardly see many 300hp modified (no power-adder) hondas, am i right?

And what twin turbo car were you speaking of? there isnt a stock honda engine really close to the stock 320hp of a supra, 255hp FD rx7, WRX STI... etc

the only thing that gives honda cars a decent chance at the track is the fact that they often weigh under 2800lbs, which of course has nothing to do with the engine.