Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ok.... What's NEXT? MODS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2004 | 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

My car feels damn good with what I have now.... I am looking for more top end or a more linear pull out of it.... Right now it feels great in 1st, 2nd, and a little of 3rd.... but it lacks that roll on power that I had with my failry moded DSM....I am just wondering how much better will it feel with a reflash? I know people rave about them but they usually go filter, MBC, exhaust then get the reflash and it is like night and day because they have no form of AF control.... I already have a form or leaning out the AF so would it really make that much of a difference in my situation? Any guess at what kind of HP #'s I have now and what I will have after the flash would be great!

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Nov 26, 2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Hi,

I'm in a similar spot, except I have MBC and haven't completed the tb yet.

I'm getting a 3" catback (prolly Helix) for xmas and maybe the Helix o2 housing, but I'm not sure the latter would be worth it. My initial thought for the next step (some time in 05, heh) would be to "just" get 264 cams next for a great streetable powerband with stock cam gears. After that, a reflash and possibly cam gears to get everything dialed in just right with the SAFC for potential fine tuning (weather changes, race gas, etc).

Does that sound reasonable, or would a flash before the cams make more sense? I wouldn't think so, since I would then want a flash to dial in the cams after they were installed, right? I guess one question is whether the 264 cams (or some other variant) would make good power without cam gears or flash. I would think that this would be worth 20+ WHP and nice gains in the mid and top-end, right?

It's very true though, as you mod, you start paying more and more for less gain, lol. I like the EVO and turbos in general better than my old N/A Integra GSR. $400 exhaust for 4 hp, woohoo!

<edit> oops, I was thinking of this last point in the Works TB thread, sorry about the non sequitur</edit>

Take care,

FB

Last edited by berkel; Nov 26, 2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not really sure what to do.... If I get a flash now I will just end up reflashing once I get cams If I get them.... If my setup right now with a dynoflash can yeild me around 300+ WHP I might get the flash now... Any ideas? K&N cone filter, 20 psi, 3" turbo back what would a flash get me to on that? My guess is with my AFC I have about 275ish.... maybe.

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Nov 26, 2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

In an honest opnion what is better. A Dyno tune with an AFC II, or a mail in Dynoflash?
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

DynoFlash baby! It'll smoke what the AFC can do! I LOVE MINE! Plus you can keep the AFC for fine tuning at a local shop if Al won't be in your area anytime soon for a full custom DynoFlash.

you'll need the Dynoflash to be able to rev enough to appreciate the cams anyway.

IMO I would do an intercooler and piping before cams, but it's your car. I just say there's no need to open any part of the engine until everything else is in place.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

HKS 264 cams
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 08:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Of course it would be most optimum to flash after the cams...
300whp is doable with what you have and a mail in flash... however, I'm certain it is obtainable with a custom tuned flash (TT has done it for sure, and I think Dynoflash also). With flashed 264 cams straight up, you'll be well over your target. You can do the cams with just the dyno tuned AFC, you will just be down on torque compared to the flash though.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 08:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

OT

badlooser,

Why did you sell the ZX10R... I'm thinking of putting my tired *** on one...
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

a flash and 272 cams (HKS) also you didnt mention a fuel pump get one if you didnt already
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 09:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd say 272's are too big, and offer diminishing returns for this application... most reputable shops agree...

PS the fuel pump is a given in my book.
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

I do plan to do a fuel pump in the near future. I just can't decide between Custom AFC tune, or mail in Flash. I have been looking at the graphs of the flashes and they seem to have VERY nice power delivery. Just curious as to what can be done with the AFC on a dyno tune vs a mail in flash.... What do you think would come out on top?
Old Nov 26, 2004 | 11:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

There is no comparison, look at the graphs. The flash has more torque (due to the added timing you can not get with the AFC)... a much broader power band. I simply suggest that you decide whether your going to wait for cams or not. You will also want to do the pump before the flash also...

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 26, 2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

How does this sound? Do the flash for Xmas and in a few months get a pump? Would I have to reflash after the pump? How necessary is the pump right now in the current state of my car if i get a flash? I understood it as a percautionary measure... Cams are out of the picture now... I didn't really want to mess with internals as of yet. Maybe a year or so down the road I may get them but not right now. I think I may order a pump tomorrow. They are cheap and well worth the money.... Then I can tel Al to tune for it when i send in my ecu. Can I get away with running the fuel pump without the flash for now.... I do have an AFC would I have to change a few things to run the car for a week or so until I can send in the ECU?

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Nov 27, 2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Hitman,

I think I may get the flash after completing my exhaust as well. Do the "simpler" stuff before opening up the engine, even though cams are considered a bolt-on.

I have the pump and an SAFCII and it seems ok. I have no "tune" to speak of, so I'm sure I'm leaving power on the table. I think you should get the pump before getting flashed to make sure, but it seems split on whether it requires a different tune or not. The pump isn't that expensive and fairly easy to install (even I could do it with my limited skillz ).

Take care,

FB
Old Nov 27, 2004 | 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

The fine-tuned AFC may match or even slightly beat a mail-order Dynoflash on the top end but everywhere else it is going to be down on power. Look at the dyno plots on Buschur's site for an example of SAFC vs. flash. My car was tuned with just an SAFC and I just got my reflashed ECU back from Al yesterday. I won't have a chance to drive it for another week (I'm out of town), but I have no doubt that it will be a very noticeable improvement. Once I get it back, I plan to use my wideband and the SAFC to street tune it to an even 11.3:1 to remove the extra conservativeness that I'm sure is built-in to the mail-order product. A wideband is only $350-400 these days. I think it's a worthwhile purchase if you already have an SAFC.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 27, 2004 at 06:04 AM.