Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil filter too tight cause leaking??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter too tight cause leaking??

Can tightening the oem oil filter to much cause it to leak from the seal? I didn't think I tightened it that much. I hand tightened it to the block, then snugged it up with an oil filter tool and 3/8" ratchet. Now I have a very miniscule leak from the seal.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

If you tighten it too tight you will bust the rubber gasket causing the seal to leak. You should only tighten it with your hand, thats why the hand grips are there. Nerver use a ratchet. You will have to change your oil again. Or dump the used oil back into the car.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Will I be able to tell if the rubber gasket is busted by looking at it? The damn thing doesnt seem to be leaking now. It's driving me nuts!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah never tighten it with a rachet only with your hands. It should be good enough. Just look under neath the car and see if it's leaking. If it is just loosen it a bit and retighten with your hands.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

You can remove the oil filter without having to drain the oil. The only oil you will loose is what ever was in the filter and maybe a quarter of a quart. Just make sure you put something under the filter because oil will leak around and down the filter sides. Most filters have instructions as to how much they should be tightened. Mobil filters instruct you to snug it to the block then tighten it for three quarters of a turn.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, just change your oil again. I think it's the only way for you to be able to sleep.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

This is an OEM mitsu filter.. it never leaks on the ground or drips, but sometimes when I run my finger around the rim where it meets the block there a tiny bit of fresh oil on the lip. I chanaged it Sunday and it's never dripped to the ground. Im just afraid there is a tiny leak and it will blow out while driving.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Hand-tighten oil filters only. Change your oil again. The tool should only be used for getting the filters off.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by netmand
Hand-tighten oil filters only.
Why not use a torque wrench? Tighten to proper specs marked on the side of the oil filter. Take the guesswork out of the hand grip.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

There is no torque spec on an oil filter. the correct procedure is as all the others suggest and is clearly maked on most oil filters. Thread the filter up to the clock then tighten 3/4 turn. Mistsu filter come with a special lube on the ring gasget, others may require that you wet them with motor oil before installing. If you are struggling with this just have your dealer do your oil changes.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WildRice
There is no torque spec on an oil filter.
Sure about that? The last OEM filter I installed had it clearly marked. I'll take a pic of one sitting in my garage.

Last edited by kdogg; Dec 1, 2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Don't make it harder then it is. Don't bother with the torque spec and using a torque wrench. Tighten it with your hands plane and simply.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I always tighten by hand, then snug it a little more with a strap wrench.

I had the opposite problem. I had a small leak by just hand tightening it only. I had to go back and give it a quarter turn more with the filter wrench. Then it was bone dry till the next oil change.

Maybe I'm a weakling
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
Sure about that? The last OEM filter I installed had it clearly marked. I'll take a pic of one sitting in my garage.
Yeah, I have 2 more in the garage. It says tighten 3/4 turn after it touches the housing. Thats what I did and it still giving me trouble. I guess im gonna take it off and put a new one on, but now its getting ready to rain.

Last edited by krafty; Dec 1, 2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would never tight it too much, with your hands its just fine, because when the next oil change comes, you will have some trouble to unscrew it.

Quick Reply: Oil filter too tight cause leaking??