Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR440 Turbokit installed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BR440 Turbokit installed

Hey guys.

I just finished installing the BR440 turbokit. Everything went smooth, took me about 5 hours total with taking pictures and checking things out along the way. The kit went on with excelent fitment, thumbs up to BR!

Few notes:

I had a VRS o2 housing eliminator downpipe previosly. Flange was not even close to the o2 housing supplied with the kit, so I had to put a BR 3" SS downpipe on. that's a nice piece, and about 2lb lighter than the VRS downpipe. BR's downpipe fit up perfect to the VRS testpipe.

I decided to make a nicer oil drain tube instead of cutting the stock oil return line. We have -10 Aeroquip pushlock fittings and a CNC aluminum flange that bolts to the oil pan. cleaner and more professional way to do it IMHO. About $40 on top of the BR turbo kit.

going out now to do some tuning/testing with the EMS. I went out this morning and got an excelent datalog of hp/tq/rpm/boost/air temp with the stock turbo in 2-5 gears. Will be able to make direct comparason of spoolup and hp/tq gain between the stock and 440 turbo probobly tommorrow.

only issue I see now is that I still have the stock 550 injectors on the car. might run out of fuel on pumpgas trying to push this turbo hard? Still have the stock cams and FMIC as well.

Will report back tonight after I get back to the shop.

going to Atco Dragway next weekend to test&tune on racegas.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

This would be my second choice Turbo after the ATP kit. Most important is what is the spool like, thenhow much more power did you make ( for Auto-x purposes)
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Wow...pretty late for tnt on a school night! Looking forward to how far you can go on the emissions friendly stock cams.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

nice, keep us posted on the results .....would it be possible to overlay the stock turbo dyno w/ the BR440?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Nice! If you don't go 11's on that thing, I'll be shocked. I would have like to see you try the cams first and see how far you could take the stock turbo, but I guess the season is getting too close to over.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

Just some advice from our experince with these turbos - you need to have all the supporting parts to get them to make the serious power

They need intercooler pipes - they need cams and they need injectors

Best of luck - I think you will find that its a great performing turbo and a great value
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Just some advice from our experince with these turbos - you need to have all the supporting parts to get them to make the serious power

They need intercooler pipes - they need cams and they need injectors

Best of luck - I think you will find that its a great performing turbo and a great value
Well Al, I did install and test a few differnet intercooler pipes with the stock turbo with negligable gain. I dont see the pipes making more than 5hp differance, stock turbo or br440. IMHO the bov is the item that makes the differance, and most people change the pipe and bov at the same time and assume the gain was from the pipe.

The injectors..well at 23psi Im still fine. AF is in the low 11's with the br440. on racegas, I have plenty of room to lean it out and bump the boost to 27-28. on pumpgas 23psi is enough, and my wideband is saying Im safely rich. so for injectors, Im going to stick with the stockers for winter. they are maxed out at 90-95% IDC, but the AF is good.

Cams...no doubt cams would have been smart and worthwhile to do before the turbo upgrade. 20hp/$600 is better than 40hp/$2300 for sure. BUT I figured noone has done the turbo with stock cams, might as well see what happens. I generally like to prove/disprove the "modification order" when I can and do things differently than the norm. sometimes you find out things work just as well earleir or later.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

onto the good stuff:

I made some WOT logs...looks like the turbo was worth a pretty substantial gain with no other changes. The spoolup is definatly not as good as stock, but I have not done ANY tuning yet other than riched up from 5000rpm up to make it safe. looks from the AEM logs to be around 30whp stronger and the hp holds up longer than with the stock turbo.

will see what I can do for stock vs 440 graph overlays tommorrow.

Im pretty confident that the turbo will be worth about 3-4mph on pumpgas and more on racegas.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
I decided to make a nicer oil drain tube instead of cutting the stock oil return line. We have -10 Aeroquip pushlock fittings and a CNC aluminum flange that bolts to the oil pan. cleaner and more professional way to do it IMHO. About $40 on top of the BR turbo kit.
I am very interested in your oil return line, can you post pics up or do you have a link of it to your website? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrEvo
I am very interested in your oil return line, can you post pics up or do you have a link of it to your website? Thanks.
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com...allparts.shtml

in middle of the page..there is "oil drain line kit" I used the parts in the middle picture. fittment is for garrett turbo. On my car, I only used the AN fitting and flange on the oil pan side and left the flange/brass fitting on the turbo end as supplied from BR. Didn't feel like wrecking the stock line, incase the stock turbo has to go back on for some reason.

mind you that is a DSM parts page, all the links in the header will take you to the DSM side of the site, not the EVO side...just incase you decide to surf around.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice keep us posted
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com...allparts.shtml

in middle of the page..there is "oil drain line kit" I used the parts in the middle picture. fittment is for garrett turbo. On my car, I only used the AN fitting and flange on the oil pan side and left the flange/brass fitting on the turbo end as supplied from BR. Didn't feel like wrecking the stock line, incase the stock turbo has to go back on for some reason.

mind you that is a DSM parts page, all the links in the header will take you to the DSM side of the site, not the EVO side...just incase you decide to surf around.
Wow, thanks!! This is EXACTLY what i was looking for and I know of several people with aftermarket turbo kits that will like to know about this kit also. I'll be placing an order for this and several other parts.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

We will be updating our website tommorrow, Ill add the drain line options to the EVO turbo kit page as well.

nice now that we got the BR shippment in, we can get our own photography up. I hate using other companies photos.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

GO BIGGER! lol, but good luck with that turbo, Im sure you will go fast with it.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

keep us posted,Im still thinking about this kit but have seen good and bad reviews...

Quick Reply: BR440 Turbokit installed