Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to build for low end power?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
BS, sounds like you are well versed in the art of natural aspiration. Welcome to turbo land!

And yes, I feel that all you NEED is a flash up to a certain WHP level. Anything more is just either unnecessary or playtime gadgetry and overkill.
I generally agree with your points.. and I definitely agree that the flash that is all that is really needed.. The exceptions really are if your the type of person who does make changes, or needs to run different maps for some reason..

Lets just say if someone offered an affordable tool that allowed me to tune my own ECU flash, I would be using that..
Old Dec 4, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I generally agree with your points.. and I definitely agree that the flash that is all that is really needed.. The exceptions really are if your the type of person who does make changes, or needs to run different maps for some reason..

Lets just say if someone offered an affordable tool that allowed me to tune my own ECU flash, I would be using that..
I don't disagree with one point. This is the only situation where I could see needing more than a flash. However, 90% of the people who have something tunable, still don't tune it themselves.....
Old Dec 9, 2004, 08:18 PM
bs
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
BS, sounds like you are well versed in the art of natural aspiration. Welcome to turbo land!

And yes, I feel that all you NEED is a flash up to a certain WHP level. Anything more is just either unnecessary or playtime gadgetry and overkill.

For the record I wasn't talking about the exhaust I was talking about the exhaust MANIFOLD. If my comments were in relation to the exhaust then I could see your point because we all know that the less back pressure the better for the exhaust. This is not necessarily true in the exhaust manifold. Reading comprehension owns you.

Last edited by bs; Dec 9, 2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bs
For the record I wasn't talking about the exhaust I was talking about the exhaust MANIFOLD. If my comments were in relation to the exhaust then I could see your point because we all know that the less back pressure the better for the exhaust. This is not necessarily true in the exhaust manifold. Reading comprehension owns you.

I wouldn't say reading comprehension owns me as much as clarification owns you!

Your whole post talks about a "larger pipe." Anyone would assume that pipe (singular) is an exhaust pipe rather than a manifold (set of pipes).
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

before you make boost too large of an exhuast will be detrimental to power, however it will allow the turbo to spool faster, and since you use the turbo and not engine vacume to force air in the engine, you will make real power sooner! go as big as possiable with your exhaust to make more power sooner.

on a turbo car, you can NEVER have exhuast that is too large!!!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

oh, and if your not opposed to make huge highend power, and have little to no lag i have an idea for you. down side is that it will cost you a couple of grand.

if you throw a supercharger on your car - yes you heard me right a supercharger. you can increase pre-lag power and still make good power when the turbo spools. now before you all laugh and flame me hear me out. this has been done dozens of times, and it will be on my car here eventually.

first you need a couple of items:
1 roots/screw style supercharger
1 larger than stock turbo
1 turbo header
1 stand alone ECU
and othe assorted nuts and bolts.

the supercharger (5-8psi) will effectively increase the size of your motor and allow the larger turbo to spool increadiably fast (not only do you have more air going in and in turn out of the motor, but you have the compressor on the supercharger acutally drawing in air through the compressor on the turbo - 10-x psi based on motor build strength)

now dont base boost on 5x10 instead think of it as closer to 5+10 (which it actaully isnt either). see boost is a measure of pressure, but you need to think of cfm. the supercharger doesnt make boost, it just increases the cfm of the engine. then the turbo will make the boost.

other than price, the real issue here is taking the time to make it work. lots of dyno time and tuning required, true. but think of having a car that makes huge power with almost no lag what-so-ever, even less than stock.

and for anyone who doesnt believe this is possiable, PSI-FI motorsports builds kits for the mini cooper S and the saturn ion redline/chevy cobalt SS. HKS use to make kits for the MR2, and meguiars made a pretty darn cool integra type R

if you dont belive me, check out the superstreet article:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...618/index.html
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

2.5" turbo back exhaust
mbc (20-21psi)
SAFCII (some time on the dyno and tuned by a pro)
Upper and lower intercooler hard pipes
K&N air filter
This should get you above 300+awhp/tq easily with excellent spoolup throughout the whole rpm. Might suffer alittle up high in the rpm but will spool so much faster and better power in the midrange.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

again, it will be very costly. but you can have the best of both worlds!!!

so it is possiable to have your cake and eat it too!

mmmmmmm...i love cake...mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Dec 10, 2004, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There's been alot of talk over the years about Hypercharging.. But thats definitely offtopic (Hypercharging is combining a supercharger and turbo setup) Also, several turbo companies have experimented with dual stage turbos (compressing a compressed charge) all of these work well, but have proven to be cost prohibitive.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone on this forum came back from sema w pics of an evo that powerdyne inc. had added an electric blower to. It looked wickedly complex.

For that level of engineering how about a Chevey small block?

Evo tex- I'm down with your upgrade path. Hp for $ and from what I hear results at the track you do ok!

Unfortunatly my wife and I want to buy a house this spring, so I have to divert from the housing fund to buy EVO parts, can and will be done, but always a struggle. No worries, I need a garage so i can get a spare engine and do this right anyway!

I need 3" exhuast. I'm thinkin Vish standard (best looking o2 design I've seen) or RNR's o2 delete dp, hfc and supper quiet cb....about 1k+

need mbc. evo tex, this is all you, my p2 suposedly controls boost. will the mbc do it better? I'm willing to give it a try, seems to work for you. 100$

need: 264 cams 1k-ish installed

Have: P2 I want a UTEC only becuse I'm sick of sending my ECU out. Plus if I get some dyno time locally (that isn't Works) how will they tune me? I might just buy a second stock ECU and keep them in rotation until I can afford another g for the UTEC.

have: AMS lower ic pipe
have: HKS RS intake

Goal is to get me cams, mbc, 3" 02- exhaust, cheap tubular header and get tuned up, ASAP. Total squandered funds ~2000$

While driving this setup i want to port and coat the stock exaust manifold and get it ready in anticipation for Buschur's ti 20g before the tubular mani dies. By then I hope to have a utec and make some real power!

Thanks for the input
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Why go through all the trouble of buying cams and headers? You can solve your problem in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Sell Evo
Step 2: Buy F250 Powerstroke
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Why go through all the trouble of buying cams and headers? You can solve your problem in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Sell Evo
Step 2: Buy F250 Powerstroke

Aaaah, crappy sarcasm! Well, read my first post in this thread. I dig my evo, I aso dig lots o torque on the way to work every morning. But most important, I NEED to mess with something, and I likes cams and headers! If you don't get it, you never will- it make no sense.

If anything i would sell my old 92' Suburban and buy the f-250! Then I'd be on some Ford geek forum trying to add top end !!!