Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any Tuners out there with personal experience with ECU+ ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rtd2
Is this device recommended for someone with no tuning experience? I like what I have read about it so far but I am not sure if I trust myself when it comes to tuning. I would definately like to learn/practice w/o blowing up the car.
Like with any kind of tuneable engine management system, a wideband O2 Sensor would definitelly help keep your engine running safely.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rtd2
Is this device recommended for someone with no tuning experience? I like what I have read about it so far but I am not sure if I trust myself when it comes to tuning. I would definately like to learn/practice w/o blowing up the car.
I think anyone can learn how to safely tune their own car, but you need to be careful and thorough. First, you need to do a lot of research up-front. Know the numbers inside and out -- what's a good/bad full-throttle air/fuel ratio? What kind of boost pressure do people usually run on cars with your mods? What kind of adjustments do other people safely do? Read these forums and others, the ECU+ web site, other tuning forums, anything you can find.

Then, be methodical and careful. Every successful tuner I know starts with stock values and slowly inches up to the final tuning numbers. That usually means going a little PAST the good point and then backing off. Do not simply throw 10 extra degrees of spark timing and 20% reduction in fuel at your car and expect good things to happen. Change a percent or two at a time, carefully monitor and record your results, and repeat.

All that said, you do all this at your own risk, and random bad stuff can happen. Bad gas, change in weather, or simply a mystery problem that you never figure out, and you may find yourself with problems up to and including a blown motor. It happens to lots of people, even careful ones. If you don't want to risk anything happening to the car...don't touch it. Leave it stock, and if something bad happens, you can just roll into the dealer and let them fix it.

As for me...life's too short to wait for the warranty to expire before I have any fun.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ok... Exactly how much more "dangerous" is this then tuning with jsut an AFC? Could one just plug their AFC settings into the fuel portion and fiddle with the timing here and there? With a wideband you should be pretty much "safe".
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

The key to the ECU+ when it comes to tuning is the EXTENSIVE logging it does. With WBO2 input and the road dyno it calculates, it's really effective at seeing how your car is running and how it's responding to tuning and boost levels. By watching the timing logs you can see if the ECU is pulling timing as a result of knock. Not the greatest way to tune but alot of tuners do it that way. Once Tom figures out some sort of knock logging you'll really be able to tune very effectively.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
Ok... Exactly how much more "dangerous" is this then tuning with jsut an AFC?
No more or less dangerous; you can blow up your car with a S-AFC, and you could wtih the ECU+.

On the other hand, as propellerhead mentiones, you get data logging with the ECU+, which can help you figure out more accurate what your car is doing. So you could make the case that it's safer in that respect.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Are these still being made or has the assembly line been put on hold because of new hardware development? I would like to get one of the current versions if possible?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sir lurks alot
Are these still being made or has the assembly line been put on hold because of new hardware development? I would like to get one of the current versions if possible?
The last of the current model are now shipping. If you order today, you'll be in line for the first of the next generation model, which will ship sometime around the end of February, we hope.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

What about upgrades for existing customers?
Has that been worked out yet?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
The last of the current model are now shipping. If you order today, you'll be in line for the first of the next generation model, which will ship sometime around the end of February, we hope.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com

I ordered yesterday from the website and it said 4-7 days until it will be shipped. I guess it should have said 4-7 weeks. No problem, I want the newest version and don't mind the wait. Knock logging will be the icing on the cake. Next stop br20g turbo upgrade!