Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any Tuners out there with personal experience with ECU+ ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Tuners out there with personal experience with ECU+ ?

Just wondering how this product compares to an Xede or Utec piggyback. My main concerns are the avalability of customized maps to download and ease of install and tuning it. From the article I read it sounds very simple but because there isn't much other info on it that I have found (yes I have searched) I was hoping someone would have personal experience with tuning this chip. I am not by any streach of the immagination a mechanic or major tuner I know just the very basics and don't want to get over my head.

http://www.machv.com/ectuanddalop.html

I really am not interested in a full stand alone unit due to cost and just plain over kill for my basic applications so please don't jack the thread with AEM info its a great product just not for me.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In theory it is by far the best. Ive talked to the creator a few times. He makes a bad *** product for an incredibly cheap price. Ability to control timing and fuel, multiple maps and fast datalogging. It is worth the price for sure. I would have bought it already but I am waiting to see how his progress goes on the knock readout. An anti-lag feature would be great as well.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently running the ECU+ in my car, and I really like it. It's simple, affordable, and it works. The software is pretty good, too.

We have had some trouble with the engine disagreeing with our tweaking with the timing -- this results in the infamous P0300 check engine light on some cars. (If you read around the forums, this is a common problem on the Evo, even on stock cars. And it's plagued almost every engine management system out there...) It looks like that problem has now been solved, so I can heartily recommend the ECU+ to Evo owners.

It's very easy to tune. If you can use a S-AFC, you can use this. And the added benefit of being able to log the data and input extra stuff like a wideband sensor means you have a pretty complete tuning solution in-car for a very affordable price.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
In theory it is by far the best.
I don't agree what that. Assuming we're restricting ourselves to the the evo (I have no experience with DSM engine control), the ECU+ is less featureful than many other piggy back systems.

http://www.ecuplus.com/features.htm

I looked at the ECU+, but picked the xede for one simple reason: boost control. If you want to go with a seperate boost controller though, the ECU+ looks way better than a regular AFC in my opinion. The UTEC even has support for things like N20 and water injection. Both the xede and utec go to pretty long lengths to make sure they generate the best CAS signal possible. Before buying an ECU+ it would certainly be worth the time to figure out how it's CAS replication works.

d
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

this looks really interesting.

I think this might be the answer to my ECU wants and needs. good stuff!!!

GREAT FIND!!!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Dylan! this is Alan. How is it going?
I have this unit myself but still haven't the time to install it. I'll remove the SAFC2 from the field harness and solder this thingy in its place.
Hopefully after the holliday I'll install all the toys I got recently and get tuning.
Anyone getting this should also get yourself a Wideband 02 sensor and a Boost sensor(At least a 3 bar if you wanna upgrade the turbo later on).
The CAS replication from this piggy looks a lot better than most other units out there.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Hey Dylan! this is Alan. How is it going?
I have this unit myself but still haven't the time to install it. I'll remove the SAFC2 from the field harness and solder this thingy in its place.
Hopefully after the holliday I'll install all the toys I got recently and get tuning.
Anyone getting this should also get yourself a Wideband 02 sensor and a Boost sensor(At least a 3 bar if you wanna upgrade the turbo later on).
The CAS replication from this piggy looks a lot better than most other units out there.

damn alan you have EVERYTHING

you must make the big bucks.

fortunately i have a friend with an EVO 7 who has a wideband and he said he's interested in ecu + so if i get it hes gonne let me use his wideband so he can see how he likes it as well.
now i just need $500 lol
Old Dec 7, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donour
Both the xede and utec go to pretty long lengths to make sure they generate the best CAS signal possible. Before buying an ECU+ it would certainly be worth the time to figure out how it's CAS replication works.
I don't understand this point. Can you explain a little better?

Tom
Old Dec 7, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

I have tuned 1 car with it ....it works well...can't say anything more really
Old Dec 7, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
...i have a friend with an EVO 7 who has a wideband and he said he's interested in ecu + so if i get it hes gonne let me use his wideband so he can see how he likes it as well.
We've sold several to Evo VII owners overseas, and it works fine on them, too. Although TrinaBabe's comment about the ECU+ being "by far the best" is maybe pushing it a bit (I'd probably leave that honor to the $5,000 MoTec setup), I think the ECU+ is unequalled in the price-for-features department.

It's not much more expensive than a S-AFC, but it does TONS more. Fuel, timing, maps you can load and save, laptop or Palm tuning and datalogging...and did I mention the "virtual dyno" feature, where you can generate dyno graphs based on your on-road driving? It works, too -- we've done real dyno pulls and the ECU+ generated chart matches up quite well.

So, if you want a bit more than just simple fuel tuning, but you don't want to throw down a grand on engine management, I think it's ideal.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:24 AM

Does the ecu+ come with base maps?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
We've sold several to Evo VII owners overseas, and it works fine on them, too. Although TrinaBabe's comment about the ECU+ being "by far the best" is maybe pushing it a bit (I'd probably leave that honor to the $5,000 MoTec setup), I think the ECU+ is unequalled in the price-for-features department.

It's not much more expensive than a S-AFC, but it does TONS more. Fuel, timing, maps you can load and save, laptop or Palm tuning and datalogging...and did I mention the "virtual dyno" feature, where you can generate dyno graphs based on your on-road driving? It works, too -- we've done real dyno pulls and the ECU+ generated chart matches up quite well.

So, if you want a bit more than just simple fuel tuning, but you don't want to throw down a grand on engine management, I think it's ideal.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
you said exactly what i was thinking.

this has best bang for the buck written all over it, and then some.

When do you think that you will have higher resolution, ie...500 rpm increments instead of 1000 rpm increments?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I second that question. Also is the P0300 problem been fixed yet??

Brian
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to hear how it compares to the Emanage. Anyone with experience with both systems?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:47 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I had ECU+ and found it's very easy to tune with the provided software. Unfortunatelly, my car is one of those that got P0300 when installed. If the problem is confirmed solve then I'll get ECU+ again for one of my EVOs. :-)