Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best turbo for daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best turbo for daily driving?

I drive my car everyday so I need a turbo that will suit me more. The only mods I will probably do to the engine would be cams sprockets, cam gears, injectors,intake, fuel pump, ebc and standalone ECU. BAsically the simple stuff needed for a upgrade turbo. MY ball park is around 400whp on pump gas. I think the only 2 turbos that better suits me is the GT35R and the 3071R. But I think I am leaning towards to 307IR for the faster spool and for a daily driven turbo. BTW is the 307IR a ball bearing turbo like the GT35R? Is it necessary to get a FMIC for the 3071R if I wanted to achieve 400whp on pump gas?

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2004, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Honestly, a stock-ish turbo is your best bet for fun daily driving.. a 10.5 housing upgrade, or a TD05HRA-16G6-10.5t (from forced performance) and upgrade O2 housing are another option.. Or Buschur will be releasing a 20G hybrid based on one of the stock or titanium units shortly..

Everything else out there seems to be good products and makes power, but I have my doubts about the true drivability or even long-term durability of them.

For durability and longevity I'd stick with something that is at least both water and oil cooled, and stay away from ballbearing turbos if possible, although their great for spool, I'm not too confident of the longevity of the bearings. (though technology has changed and ceramic graphite embedded bearings with embedded film lubricants) But those same technologies are appearing in other types of bearings too..
Old Dec 4, 2004, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The 3071 is unquestionably the better choice between that and a GT35 for a very streetable 400whp.

No, it isn't necessary to get a larger IC to get 400whp.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 3071. Sweet turbo. Longetivity may not be the same as stock, it may wear out in 120k miles instead of 240k, but by that time you'll wanna change neways :P
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

I currently run a 30R, but its already starting to feel a bit small. The spool is very fast and not too much laggier then stock and it definitely comes on alot stronger, but the peak power just isn't there like the 35r has. *Shrug* it depends on how you like to drive your car...
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ItsStockOfficer
The 3071. Sweet turbo. Longetivity may not be the same as stock, it may wear out in 120k miles instead of 240k, but by that time you'll wanna change neways :P
If a 3071R turbo will last close to 100k miles then thats good enough for me. But seriously will the engine last that long?
Old Dec 4, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Derek remember that your engine isn't under much if any boost for most around town or even highway driving situations. It is temperature, speed and pressure that produces friction and subsequent wear (in fact wear increases by the square of the rpm). Keep that turbo quiet and your engine will last a while.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 03:43 PM

you can chose turbo 3071 or hks gt2835 kit but no need to change cam gear or cam sproket. for inj 700cc from power enterprises . for fuel pump you better stay original no need to change until you tuning first with stand alone ecu so after that you decided it . intake manifold stay original. change your muffler with good flow like 75mm and change catalic pipe with straight pipe. the most important for you modification is choose good aftermarket ecu like motec M800. that it't
Old Dec 4, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
I drive my car everyday so I need a turbo that will suit me more. The only mods I will probably do to the engine would be cams sprockets, cam gears, injectors,intake, fuel pump, ebc and standalone ECU. BAsically the simple stuff needed for a upgrade turbo. MY ball park is around 400whp on pump gas. I think the only 2 turbos that better suits me is the GT35R and the 3071R. But I think I am leaning towards to 307IR for the faster spool and for a daily driven turbo. BTW is the 307IR a ball bearing turbo like the GT35R? Is it necessary to get a FMIC for the 3071R if I wanted to achieve 400whp on pump gas?

Thanks

I have this turbo and I love it. Boost comes very fast and it has great power and the power keeps coimng till redline. But that may be due to all the other mods I have along with this. The turbo should be good with 660cc injectors and some sort of piggyback. I am currently running a s-afc ii right now and am thinking about going with either aem or utec for tuning.
The turbo will give you more than 400whp with the correct mods. The 35r will take you around 450whp to 550whp depending on your mods. I am taking it easy on my motor so I stuck with the 3071r but you can always upgrade the inlet side of the turbo to a 3037s asselmbyl later on if more power was needed, that was what I was told but ATP when I bought mine. So you can always change later on for minimal cash which is always a plus. In 5th gear with my turbo fully broken in I am seeing 7lbs of boost at 3000rpm and full at around 3300-3500rpm depending on gear. But either turbo is great cant go wrong with either one, just make sure it is tuned well .

GL,
Dan
Old Dec 4, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ATP 3071 and I love it. but its a harsh ride and you better hang on. When boost hit it hits so hard that I loose control
Old Dec 4, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quickshift
I have this turbo and I love it. Boost comes very fast and it has great power and the power keeps coimng till redline. But that may be due to all the other mods I have along with this. The turbo should be good with 660cc injectors and some sort of piggyback. I am currently running a s-afc ii right now and am thinking about going with either aem or utec for tuning.
The turbo will give you more than 400whp with the correct mods. The 35r will take you around 450whp to 550whp depending on your mods. I am taking it easy on my motor so I stuck with the 3071r but you can always upgrade the inlet side of the turbo to a 3037s asselmbyl later on if more power was needed, that was what I was told but ATP when I bought mine. So you can always change later on for minimal cash which is always a plus. In 5th gear with my turbo fully broken in I am seeing 7lbs of boost at 3000rpm and full at around 3300-3500rpm depending on gear. But either turbo is great cant go wrong with either one, just make sure it is tuned well .

GL,
Dan

Is your car drivin everyday and how many miles have you put on your car after the turbo upgrade? Doesnt ATP come with manifolds because I see that you are using the Borla Exhaust Header Ceramic Coated one. How much whp are you getting with pump gas?
Old Dec 4, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
Is your car drivin everyday and how many miles have you put on your car after the turbo upgrade? Doesnt ATP come with manifolds because I see that you are using the Borla Exhaust Header Ceramic Coated one. How much whp are you getting with pump gas?
I drive my car everyday in bumper to bumper traffic from work and school and look the instant power. I have yet to dyno my car.,I will dyno it this coming friday, I got an apppointment setup for it ATP does not come with an exhaust header which is why it is cheaper than most with ball bearing turbos. But you can always either go for a stock look or run an aftermarket header which is kind of nice.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by isal
you can chose turbo 3071 or hks gt2835 kit but no need to change cam gear or cam sproket. for inj 700cc from power enterprises . for fuel pump you better stay original no need to change until you tuning first with stand alone ecu so after that you decided it . intake manifold stay original. change your muffler with good flow like 75mm and change catalic pipe with straight pipe. the most important for you modification is choose good aftermarket ecu like motec M800. that it't
[samuel L jackson]english mother f*cker, do you speak it?[/samuel L jackson]
Old Dec 4, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

10.5 housing uprgrade... $300
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

GT35R turbo kit
1000cc inj
fuel rail
fuel regulatior
fuel pump(2 externel and 1 internel)
externel fuel tank
272/272 cam
cam spocket
JUN titan retianers,valve spring
Max bore TB
Turboback
Intercooler kit with UP and low piping
Blow off
HKS F Con V Pro
HKS EIDS
Headstud
Intake kit with no MAF
Exedy Carbon twin plate

Sorry for bad English

is your soloution
400whp is very possible if condition is good with a good tuning

Last edited by Ang Wen Yan; Dec 5, 2004 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: best turbo for daily driving?