Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock IC PIPE Blowing off? fix?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock IC PIPE Blowing off? fix?

Hi recently me and a friend have had issues with our top IC pipe poping off from the manifold at top boost and wot.. but we have no other mods or anything then our other 4 guys we run around with and those 4 have never had this issue is thier a quick fix for this like a dif clamp or something or is it ok for me to WRENCH the stop clamp down really good without hurting the tube?

i know i could probly get a new IC pipe kit or something like that and i plan to eventually but i would like a fix for now if possible thanks

evoisdream
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoisdream
Hi recently me and a friend have had issues with our top IC pipe poping off from the manifold at top boost and wot.. but we have no other mods or anything then our other 4 guys we run around with and those 4 have never had this issue is thier a quick fix for this like a dif clamp or something or is it ok for me to WRENCH the stop clamp down really good without hurting the tube?

i know i could probly get a new IC pipe kit or something like that and i plan to eventually but i would like a fix for now if possible thanks

evoisdream
I just had this problem tonight. I installed a profec B and at 20lbs. the pipe popped off. My boyfriend has a VW GTI 1.8T with over 400hp and he had this problem. He bought some t-bolt clamps and has never had a problem again. We tried to put a 2.5 inch on mine tonight...but it would not fit, so make sure you get a 3 inch. You can find these clamps online, or I have heard people get them at dealerships that specialize in Turbo Diesel trucks...
I am going to put a 3 inch t-bolt on my car tomorrow...and then I will turn the boost back up and see what happens. I will post up tomorrow.
I will soon be buying the Injen intake system that comes with that upper pipe to avoid these issues in the future....
Here is my post from earlier...so you can read other's responses...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=111756
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

evoisdream
Same issue. It's happened twice this week. I'm keeping my screwdriver in my door pocket.

I looked for the "double wire' type clamp at AutoZone tonight without luck.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

hrmmmmm im curious as to y this happens weak thanks for the response and post about urs kinda funny that happend hey did any of u throw a CEL after it poped off or did u not drive it off the road? i had to drive mine about 10 feet lol o well
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

I had mine pop off once so I just tightened the clamp down a little harder and havent had the problem since. I guess its not a bad idea to get better clamps of course, but the fix worked for me.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

hrmmmmm im curious as to y this happens weak thanks for the response and post about urs kinda funny that happend hey did any of u throw a CEL after it poped off or did u not drive it off the road? i had to drive mine about 10 feet lol o well
No CEL, but I had to drive for about 1/2 mile on the interstate until i got to the exit. When I got to the exit (uphill) car would not pull, so I stopped. I new it was a boost leak. I just thank God that the upper IC/intake manifold clamp is the easiest to get to
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:49 PM

Mine totally popped off and the car shut off...just cruised into the gas station...good luck with the fix...
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

t-bolt it up
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

should i be able to pick up a T-bolt from liek a local hardware store? thanks for the answers guys/gals ill mess with it more 2day
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Try this link:
http://www.partssystems.com/shop/pro...egory_id=TBOLT
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

awsome ill probly go look around at some local places today so i can pick one up asap
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have this problem continually happen, and need to get it fixed for some time until you can get T-bolt clamps on it.. Use hair spray, Aquanet has a very weak mixture of a plastic in it that is soluable, however if you spray it on the end of the metal pipe where the hose and clamp go, when the carrier (alcohol/spray) evaporates out, it acts as a mild adhesive that will prevent the hose from moving when its clamped down..

Keep in mind its a temporary fix, but should work well enough for a short time if you find your hoses pop off fequently.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hopefully you didn't order a 3 inch clamp...we just tried to put one on my car and it is too big...but the 2 1/2 is too small to fit over the hose Hopefully somewhere they sell a 2 and 3/4 clamp...I am getting my injen intake tonight so hopefully that will hold Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

hrmmm i didnt order one yet i will try the hairspray thing but i really need a t-clamp and no one has one around here where the crap can i get one without ordering? hahaha weird.... anyone have any ideas?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

do you think

2.63''-2.94'' (66.7mm-74.6mm)

or

2.75''-3.06'' (66.9mm-77.8mm)

which one should i get and what will work bigger smaller?