Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just Installed: TRE Tranny, TRE TC, Cusco Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to back up the claims I had Jon rebuild by tranny and got it back in the car last week. I really can't believe how smooth this thing shifts, if I want I can shift into first gear at 35mph without double-clutching. Shifting is super smooth and really locks into gear.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
Just to back up the claims I had Jon rebuild by tranny and got it back in the car last week. I really can't believe how smooth this thing shifts, if I want I can shift into first gear at 35mph without double-clutching. Shifting is super smooth and really locks into gear.
Damn Straight!

It really is amazing, I can't recommend this enough to anyone who's got their tranny out or is having tranny issues.

I'm changing out the fluid again (@ 500 miles) per Jon's recommendations. Once I do that and I get some more miles on the clutch I'll really start laying into this thing to see how it does. More info to come!

- Steve
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuperHatch, what tranny fluid are you using BTW?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

BG Syncroshift

Jon made it very clear that the brand fluid is not nearly as important as the fluid's ability to meet GL-4 requirements. Obviously synthetic is better, but the GL rating is very important. He said he wouldn't be suprised if the number of drivetrain failures he hears about are due to using the wrong type of fluid more than abuse. He said redline MT-90 is good as well as the BG Syncroshift since they meet GL-4 requirements. A lot of other oils don't meet these requirements, such as Redline's Shockproof gear oil. Even though it may work viscosity-wise the GL rating is what's more important. This is spoken from his mouth not mine, so don't shoot the messenger, give him a call to discuss/argue if you want

For example.... Redline MT-90 and Redline 75W-90 are both 75W-90 weight synthetic lubricants, but MT-90 is GL-4 and 75W-90 is GL-5, the MT-90 is what should be used in the Tranny since it is GL-4, and the 75W-90 is great for the transfer case since it is GL-5. I use Redline 75W-90 in my transfer case, and Jon said it was working very well since my transfer case had little/no wear at 17k miles when he tore it down. (I swapped out my fluids at 1000 miles)

Taken straight from Redline's Website:

MT-90:

Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that’s slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

75W-90:

Our most popular gear oil, this is the preferred product in nearly all car and light truck differentials, both conventional and limited-slip. 75W90 is preferred for most racing applications. It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units. 75W90 Gear Oil can be used in many transmissions and transaxles; however, other Red Line lubricants have better frictional properties for rapid synchronization. Exceeds API GL-5.

75W-90 NS:

This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin.

Heavy ShockProof:

A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.

As you can see, they all have fluid frictions of 75W-90, but are all different. MT-90 is GL-4, 75W-90 and 75W90 NS are both GL-5, and the Heavy ShockProof doesn't have an GL rating. Some people think the 75W-90 NS is good in the tranny because it says so in the description. Some people also have the "If GL-4 is good, GL-5 must be better!" mentality, which is also not true in this case.

Some more info:

GL-4
Denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmissions and transaxle applications where API MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable.

GL-5
Denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed shock loads and low-speed, high-torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under MIL-L-2105D satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5 specification, although the API designation does not require military approval.

I could go on, but I'll stop here for now, it's lunch time.

- Steve
Old Dec 9, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

I dealt with Jon in the past and all I can say is that hes a great guy. Actually mine was the first USDM evo 8 T-case that he took apart and inpected. Unfortunatly mine could not be fixed. I reccommend TRE due to their knowledge and experience. Oh yeah the prices are damn good.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody have some ideas on using Mobile 1 75W90 GL5? My experience with it, is I started out with first, Redline 75W90 GL5 rated fluid. I liked it except for it cold characteristic. Then I switched the rear diff, and x-fer case over to Mobile 1, and Mobile one seemed to have a slightly more 'cush' feel to it, and I've been running it for the last 7k miles with a big smile on my face.

In addition .. I really can't say I've liked putting Redline in the tranny itself solely because of the cold characteristic. On a 32degF day, it takes at least 20 min. of driving to have the fluid behave like I'm not going to rape a 1 - 2 shift. Perhaps its my tranny?

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:40 PM

Im having a TRE tranny with REM finishing and TRE TC with LSD installed and should be out in a few days. Im also installing a ACT clutch and flywheel combo with SS line and Buschur bushings (keeping stock shifter at Jon's request) Im curious what type of breakin if any is required and why changing out the tranny fluid at 500miles is required. Jon made no mention to me about any of this. THanks
Old May 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oaevo8u
Im having a TRE tranny with REM finishing and TRE TC with LSD installed and should be out in a few days. Im also installing a ACT clutch and flywheel combo with SS line and Buschur bushings (keeping stock shifter at Jon's request) Im curious what type of breakin if any is required and why changing out the tranny fluid at 500miles is required. Jon made no mention to me about any of this. THanks

Mine are in fedex's hands on the way back to me. I had the tranny done, new 1st,3rd,5th gears and input shafts. All upgraded to evo 9 parts. I had the ralliart lsd put in the transfercase as well.

I am curious to know why jon recommened the stock shifter as I already have a short shifter installed.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

The oil needs to be changed at 500 miles if you want to keep your warranty and help get the breakin debris out of the tranny as well as the assembly lubricants. When you recieve your tranny there will be a yellow piece of paper in the box with all the instructions for installation and proper breakin of your new tranny.

Jon never told me to keep my stock shifter, that's news to me as well. And considering I'm on my second tranny from him I would think I would have been told be now.

- Steve
Old May 15, 2006, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

SEE ROUND 2 THREAD!!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195399