Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

All tunners on EVOM what our opinion on road tunning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All tunners on EVOM whats your opinion on road tunning?

Al, Shiv, Martin, Buschur, Works Turbotrix, and all other tunners.

What is your opinion on road tunning? The benifits and disadvantages vs dyno tunning?

Peace,
Snoop

Last edited by snoop; Dec 7, 2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

I think you will have to go to their respective forums to get an answer.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
I think you will have to go to their respective forums to get an answer.
This thread was created off of a suggestion from Al at Dynoflash as posted in another thread
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks for posting this thread

I have a lot of ideas and information on this subject I would like to share in response to some attacks and allegations which were made in a specific vendor forum

I do not want to get into attacking others or any insults

My intention is to have a level headed discussion and explanation of the benefits and disadvatnages of both methods

Right now I have to run out to fed ex to ship some ecus - BUT - I will be back later to give my take on this subject - thanks
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Sent PM to all the tunners pointing them too this thread. I hope this can be good informative and friendly discussion.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:16 PM

hmm from all what i been reading on this website for the past 5 months, i hear dynoflash is a great product. I dont kno why peolpe are bad mouthing it. Personal experience i guess. I have NO flashes YET, i plan to get a DynoFlash soon and this thread isnt gonna to change my mine.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

After this week, I'll have been tuned both ways (dyno and street) and hopefully I'll have an objective opinion, as a customer, about the strengths and faults of each to share with people.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Snoop, thank you for creating this thread. i was going to but you beat me to it.

Al, i'm seriously not trying to give you a hard time, but i personally feel it is Very Very dangerous to road tune on open public roads. while most dynos don't generate the same airflow that the road would offer, it is much safer for the gereral population. unless, of course the maximum speed reached during a road tune is the posted speed limit. i have seen instances where manufacturers road tune (closed circuit) a new production car, but they still go on the dyno for further tuning. who is responsible if a mistake were to happen on the road leading to an accident involving injuries or death? sure i guess the car could fall off of the dyno but atleast noone would be hurt very badly, and if they were that is their own fault for standing directly infront of the car.

conclusion:road tuning while possibly more acurate much more dangerous, and illlegal.

dyno tuning possibly not as acurate very safe, and legal.

Last edited by asasin79; Dec 7, 2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by asasin79
Snoop, thank you for creating this thread. i was going to but you beat me to it.

Al, i'm seriously not trying to give you a hard time, but i personally feel it is Very Very dangerous to road tune on open public roads. while most dynos don't generate the same airflow that the road would offer, it is much safer for the gereral population. unless, of course the maximum speed reached during a road tune is the posted speed limit. i have seen instances where manufacturers road tune (closed circuit) a new production car, but they still go on the dyno for further tuning. who is responsible if a mistake were to happen on the road leading to an accident involving injuries or death? sure i guess the car could fall off of the dyno but atleast noone would be hurt very badly, and if they were that is their own fault for standing directly infront of the car.

conclusion:road tuning while possibly more acurate much more dangerous, and illlegal.

dyno tuning possibly not as acurate very safe, and legal.
Good points

I will discuss this in greater detail when i return from fed ex

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

so i guess this is the conflicting statement:

dynoflash: I would prefer that my customer makes 15 less whp and mantains a smooth and safe power band and 100% saftey margin than push him over the threshold of detonation in order to squeeze the past drop of power.

dynoflash: Personally, I prefer road tuning. I ONLY tune my race evo (667 whp, January, 2005 Turbo Magazine) on the road. I do not race my car on a dyno and all dynos load the car differently than the road. This is why I data log and tune only on the road to get very accurate information which represents a real world operating situation
so with that said, he perfers to tune conservatively so not to hurt the evo, but to tune the evo he perfers to get on public roads and endanger innocent people as well as himself and the owner to get a better tune which is safer for the car?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

civil please or this will become another bash/b!tch thread.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

A question to all these clever people who i agree with that using the public road can place innocent lives at risk by exceeding the speed limits.

Do all of you adhere to the speed limits and only track your car? If not why do you have an EVO and what would the need be for you to have it tuned?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:01 PM
Dom
Evolving Member

Tuning the car at the track is a great point.
What does a dyno tune help me when I run 30min WOOT and see temps I never
had during dyno testing. That's not only a tuning question but also the only way to
know if the bigger i/c or radiator or brake ducts or whatever works.
In my opinion it's the tuner's job to tell me if I am fine without oil cooler or stock radiator
or whatever. Not only to tune my engine to max with dangerous ingnition and a single drop of fuel missing and killing my engine at least.
Now I have to find a tuner wanting to hit the track with me ;-)
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

yea but al is not tuning at the track, he tuning on public roads.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by expatevo
A question to all these clever people who i agree with that using the public road can place innocent lives at risk by exceeding the speed limits.

Do all of you adhere to the speed limits and only track your car? If not why do you have an EVO and what would the need be for you to have it tuned?
edit* very good points

you know i hardly ever go more than 5-10 over unless we are on a toll road (if you aren't speeding you will get ran over) then i'll go a lil faster maybe up to 20-25 over. i originally had full intent on tracking my car at MSR and tried to get clearance from my electrophysiologist and cardiologist and both said no...too much adrenaline...b/c i have very serious cardiovascular problems. so, now i am practically done modding my car.

Quick Reply: All tunners on EVOM what our opinion on road tunning?