Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injector O ring question??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector O ring question??

I was looking through the factory repair manual. When installing new injectors, it show replacing the O rings on both the high pressure fuel inlet side and the fuel pressure regulator side. If you have upgraded to larger injectors, did you re use the O rings or replace them?? There are several other parts that are labeled "N" for no reusable too. Just curious if people reused the original stuff on the injectors and rail or did you buy new. If you reused them, did you have any fuel leaks??

Brian
Old Dec 8, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

The 680s I got from Buschur came with o-rings. Having said that I "gorilla handled" one of them and bruised it. I reused one of the OEM rings and I didn't have any issues with leakage. I was kinda worried about it and kept a close eye & nose on them for a few days to see if they'd start leaking. No issues but if I could help it I wouldn't do it again.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your reply.

Those are the O-rings that come on the injectors. The ones that I am talking about are the fuel supply line O-rings and the Fuel pressure regulator O-rings. These are the O-rings that are seal of the fuel supply lines to the fuel rail. My new injectors have new O-rings on the injector inlets too.

Brian
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you are talking about the ORings on the rail on the Inlet and return fuel side yes I reused mine without any issues, but I did inspect them to make sure there were no tears or marks in them before doing so. On the injectors I didn't reuse any ORings they came with their own to help with the size difference. I would say it is one of those things that it will be good to have extras on hand becuase they will leak if you aren't careful and can be damaged when pulling the lines off of the rail. I may of just got lucky but I think several other people have reused them as well.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've never replaced FI's on an Evo before, but on other cars I've always put on new o-rings. They're rubber and rubber has a finite lifetime. They're cheap and it won't hurt, use new ones.

Edit: Looks like you weren't talking about the injector o-rings. Nevermind.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

GTVEVO: Those are the ones that I was talking about. Thanks for the assurance.

mayhem: Mine only have 8K miles on them. I don't think the rubber would have degraded in that short of a time span. I only hope they come apart easily and don't tear when disassembling them.

Thanks,
Brian
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Neoprene "O" rings do flatten which degrades their sealing capacity and can lead to failure. If your rings look round and are not stiff you can re-use them but why do it? It is just sound practice to go new since they cost a few cents each. Do yourself a favor and learn to be meticulous because little faliures can have big consequences. "If something can go wrong it will, at the most inconvienient time and in a way which causes optimum damage." A fuel leak in your engine compartment, dropping fuel pressure to an engine at max boost are not good risks to take for less than a dollar.

Last edited by WildRice; Dec 8, 2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Are these pieces in stock at the Mitsu dealears usually?? Its not the cost, its the time to get them. If they have them in stock, I don't mind spend $4 on small parts like that.

Brian
Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Thanks for your reply.

Those are the O-rings that come on the injectors. The ones that I am talking about are the fuel supply line O-rings and the Fuel pressure regulator O-rings. These are the O-rings that are seal of the fuel supply lines to the fuel rail. My new injectors have new O-rings on the injector inlets too.

Brian
Ah, my bad. Poor reading comprehension. I reused the rings when I disconnected the fuel supply and return, but again, if I had the parts on hand, I wouldn't reuse them. Not worth it.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Are these pieces in stock at the Mitsu dealears usually?? Its not the cost, its the time to get them. If they have them in stock, I don't mind spend $4 on small parts like that.

Brian
I would think so, I am sure they are commonly sized with other componets. Just call them up and ask at least that way you will know for sure what you want to do. Or maybe they can tell you how long it will take to get them in.