Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem with ACT clutch/pressureplate!!No gear engaging!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with ACT clutch/pressureplate!!No gear engaging!

Had a brand new ACT clutch and pressure plate installed in my car on friday,along with the fidanza aluminum flywheel.Broke it in a little and took it to the track day after.Worked perfect,launched reasonable(at like 4700rpms)...won all my races.Btw, I am using the 6 puck disc.

then on sunday headed up to the track to race. Was just tuning the car on the track....no launching done on this day. Then I was goin to shift from second to third while racing...third wouldnt go in.Stopped the car and realised that no gear was goin in and the clutch pedal was on the floor.
Had to get towed home.

When we pulled down the gearbox we realized two things were wrong.
The ring clip that holds everything in place on the pressure plate was broken....and the releasebearing was damaged.
clutch disc was fine though.

Need some idea of what actually happened there...dont want to, and cant afford to have it happen again.

The release bearing that went in friday was the one that came with the clutch(therefore brand new)

Faisal
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:30 PM

2fast 2soon

500 mile break in period mandatory! Sorry to here of your misfortune....
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
Account Disabled

If you make contact in any way with clip on pressure plate that the TOB goes into while installing trans there is a good chance you could damage it and then have the exact problem that you had.The real problem is that you cannot get this clip seperate from anywhere except your old pressure plate.You have to be super careful when installing trans as you only want TOB to go straight through this clip and not into it at all.Very difficult to do,but much care must be taken or the problem that you have described will happen
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

The tech that did mine showed me the difference between the stock pressure plate and the clip on the ACT throw out bearing as he snapped it together. It may be the case that your installer did not get this on properly. At any rate it should be made good by either ACT or your installer.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no difference with the stock pressure plate clip and the ACT clip. Even the t/out bearing is identical. Join the club, alot of guys brake that clip, and it is either a bad install were the spring clip was hit or you just simply are abusing the clutch too much at launch. The heat can slightly disform this clip and therefore it can cause it to break. I have never heard of anyone with a stock clutch breaking one and it is because the stock disc tends to absorb most of the abuse and slip rather than grip. The only way to prevent this problem is to learn how to be more carefull when launching, dont just rev high and drop the pedal. Slipping the clutch will help out a bit rather than a brutal dump.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Here is your problem my friend, I made the same mistake and bought for my 7 an Evo8 clutch, when that happened to me, I called spec in that case and they told me what the problem was, on a 7, if you take the pressure plate and put it on table flat and measure from the bottom to where the claws ends it measures let's say 30mm, on the 8 is 35mm, that is why the damn clip snaps.