Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Heat Wrapping the DP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat Wrapping the DP?

i have been reading a lot about this and found out all the methods and products to use. But i have read that it can be bad due to making some hot spots and possibly getting to the point of cracking or messing with the welds on the DP? if this is the case i would rather not risk ruining the dp but i wouldnt think it would get to the point of messing with the welds?

evoisdream
Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought some heat wrap to wrap my invidia DP...well i had it all in my apt to install...the day i went to install my DP i forgot to wrap it...and ive been too lazy to go back and remove it to install the heat wrap ahah

but if it does cause those problems, im glad i didnt!! I havent heard anything about causing welds to crack...heat wrap seems to work well on tubular manifolds...and it would seem those would be more prone to cracking than a DP...but i dunno
Old Dec 10, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I think some people wrap the middle part of the pipes just to help insulate the oil pan from the pipe and also to help dissipate the heat quicker. Since our dp's look like it touches the oil pan, it might be a good idea... but I'm not too sure, I guess. you could just wrap the middle of the pipe and not all the way to the connectors.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

yeah my main reason i would like to do it is cause it heats up the oil a lot and its basically touching the sub frame so i would like to stop any contact and oil issues i think i might just try it and c what happens..
Old Dec 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you're driving the air shoots up to the where dp and oil tank is, due to how the bottom pan is designed (splitter).

I don't think it's a big deal.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, all these responses and nothing but guesses... I will add one guess. I was under the assumption that it kept the heat inside the downpipe and it "fired off" the cat quicker (why you would need to do this I dunno)

Since I dont use a cat (on track day ) I wasn't going to wrap mine. It seems like when the wrap gets wet from rain or puddles or whatever, it would hold the moisture there against the metal. Sure Stainless is "impervious" to rust, but this still seems like something you wouldn't want.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

The bennies of wrapping your downpipe are many.

1. Keeps exhaust gas velocities up. This helps scavange spent Hydrocarbons from your cylinders which increases volumetric effeciency and lowers cylinder wall temps.

2. I lowers under hood heat and the associated heat soak of other components such as radiator, brake resevoir, air intake....etc.

3. If your downpipe was designed correctly (READ: It shouldn't touch any part of the car) a coating will help keep temps down around your oil pan they by keeping oil pressure up.

4. Keeping the heat inside the downpipe will light off the catalytic converter faster and provide better emissions testing on cold starts.

If you wrap the pipe correctly you shouldn't have any hot spots or moisture retention. The wrap kits usually come with a silicone spray that will seal the wrap to prevent any moisture from penetrating. The only other issue I can see with wrapping is that the constant heat expansion and shrinkage may cause the wrap to become loose over time.

I recently had my AMS downpipe coated by Jet-Hot with their Jet-Hot 2000 coat. It comes in three different colors (gray, blue or black) and is a very nicely finished product good up to 2000 degrees. They coat the inside and outside of the entire piece. They offer a good warranty on thier work and even give you a no-rust-through garantee. I payed $127 shipped to have my pipe coated and turnaround was about 8 days including shipping. They also offer a service called Jet Hot Sterling which coats your pipe with a Near Chrome look that is perfect for shows but it only works up to 1300 degrees F.
Attached Thumbnails Heat Wrapping the DP?-jet-hot-coated-down-pipe-001.jpg  
Old Dec 10, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the idea behind wrapping your dp has been discussed before. lots of it has already been said here. keep the head inside the pipe... this increases gas kinetic engergy and therefore maintains gas velocity out and through the pipe. lights off cat faster, who cares. jet hot coating will get you the same benefit but of course it will be better cuz it's a coat not a wrap. you can also get full coating on outside and inside, so it'll protect your pipe better. if you're worried about your welds coming off you better get a better dp. if you're worried about burning holes in your stuff you better get a better dp. heating up a dp like this does cause it to corrode faster but that's bound to happen anyway, that's why you get stainless or ti.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have the helix dp im not really worried about the welds i was just saying i have read that it can and has happend and was curious to if people know more about it.. the main reason i was considering wrapping it is becuase i have a DAM rattle thats coming from right under the center consol and i have given up