Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cracked Piston #2..WTH?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah after looking around the board after seeing this earlier today it has to be a bad piston there is NO way thats a ecu reflash problem... but this means you can get some BR forged pistons pal :-D lol
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Was it road or dyno tuned?

And for those that say take it to Mitsubishi and have them fix it, F-U. Its people like you that have screwed the warrenty for the rest of us. "You have to pay to play!" I know that if something goes wrong with my motor it was my fault for changing the stock parts, stock tune, etc. Thanks.

Back on topic, what spark plugs were you running, and brand fuel. Are you sure you put 93 in there? Also, did you turn your boost up any before racing? That may have had a factor in it if you did.

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Dec 12, 2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I echo the comment. are you a mitsubishi team driver? you play you pay
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man..i'm feeling your pain also....except when I couldnt start my car.....i was checking the spark plugs and when i pulled out the 4th cylinder spark plug....only half of the plug was there....the other half was scattered all over inside. =(....Gotta pull the head off and see wtf happened....shop is telling me that i most likely ****ed up the rod....from being too lean. We shall see what happened in a few days. 2.3L here I come?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

I am sorry to hear of your problems. This is the first I am hearing of this, feel free to call me if you need any help. Its regeatable to see any evo owner have these kind of problems.

The stock evo pistons are a known weak area, however, we have seen them last very well on your level of whp. So far, we have even pushed 500 whp on them and no problems.

I strongly advise everyone to maintain a max 20.5 - 21 psi on pump gas. If you try and push higher than that on pump gas you can get the fmic heat soaked and detonation can result. Especially, when doing pulls back to back in a racing situation, (fmic begins to heat soak and collant temps rise) if anything the boost should be set a tad lower, maybe 20 psi. When racing on pump gas, 22 psi and a bad load of gas can result in knocking which presents tremendous shock loads across the face of the piston. Such a knock event may expose a piston with a casting flaw, or even a perfect stock piston as they are quite weak. I have seen excelent reliability on the Dyno Flash tuned ecus and this is the very first instance I have seen of this kind of failure out of the 950 plus ecus I have out there.

If you need any assistance with getting replacement pistons - I can provide you with a free set (I have many) and I can get you all the other things you may need at cost . I would like to come by and take a look at your engine if you don't mind - please give me a call when you get a chance.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know about the detonation thing. I've seen many detonation related pistons being destroyed, but they never had a perfect crack like that. I guess if the OEM had a flaw in it from the factory then i'd say it might be possible, but in my opinion thats just not likely. I half agree with the people that say dont take it back to mitsubishi, but my feeling is that your engine had a flawed piston which I would say you should return to stock and take it to mitsu for coverage.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
POST REMOVED. USER BANNED FOR 5 DAYS.

Last edited by Speedlimit; Dec 12, 2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I am sorry to hear of your problems. This is the first I am hearing of this, feel free to call me if you need any help. Its regeatable to see any evo owner have these kind of problems.

The stock evo pistons are a known weak area, however, we have seen them last very well on your level of whp. So far, we have even pushed 500 whp on them and no problems.

I strongly advise everyone to maintain a max 20.5 - 21 psi on pump gas. If you try and push higher than that on pump gas you can get the fmic heat soaked and detonation can result. Especially, when doing pulls back to back in a racing situation, (fmic begins to heat soak and collant temps rise) if anything the boost should be set a tad lower, maybe 20 psi. When racing on pump gas, 22 psi and a bad load of gas can result in knocking which presents tremendous shock loads across the face of the piston. Such a knock event may expose a piston with a casting flaw, or even a perfect stock piston as they are quite weak. I have seen excelent reliability on the Dyno Flash tuned ecus and this is the very first instance I have seen of this kind of failure out of the 950 plus ecus I have out there.

If you need any assistance with getting replacement pistons - I can provide you with a free set (I have many) and I can get you all the other things you may need at cost . I would like to come by and take a look at your engine if you don't mind - please give me a call when you get a chance.

hmm that is some pretty good customer service there, I'd definately take the offer
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

hey

Yeah it looks like a clean cracked...although 2morrow i'm gonna try and find the piece missing from the piston.. doubt i could find it though...prob. went out the exhuast...

i'm gonna take the oil pan off and take the piston out...i wanna see how far down it cracked...i;m guessing all the way and its just being held there by the rings..theres scuff marks on the cylinder walls from the edge of the piston where it cracked...cuase from the rinds i assume

more info..
the temp outside was really cold..it was like 30c out that night...so i dont know how much of a cooling prob i could of had...

i did pay attention to all my guages and nothing seem wrong, the temp guage never move..boost was set to 22psi then it taper down to around 20.5 @ redline..

coolant is fine didnt loose any...all of it happended in like 3-4 secs...i pull 4th to about 6500rpm, thats when it POP..

i like to thank AL for the offer...i might take you up on it...cuase i need to get this car out of my friend shop ASAP..so i dont really have a plan yet...just need to get some pistons put it in and worry about the rest of it later..

no i will not bring it to the dealer..my car is modded and i have to fight w. them...its just gonna take the time i dont have...plus i dont even trust the dealer to do this kind of major work on the car...

to answer some of the questions..

car has 18k on it

tune was custom on the dyno, i got it tune about 2 weeks ago..

gas was 93 from mobil, i always use mobil or shell nothing else unless i cant find the other 2, but at the time it was mobil..

sorry i dont have any picts of the head or the plugs..i will get some 2morrow once i take out the piston..but i can say they are in good shape..
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Al, I respectfully request for you to stay out of this thread so he can find out what happened without more Dynoflash marketing and cover up. Thanks!

So you tuned 150 ECUs in the last 3 days? A few days ago it was 800. How many IS it, Allie?
i dunno man, if i cracked a piston i'd probably appreciate someone offering me free pistons and at-cost parts hookup.

i highly doubt this is a result of bad tuning. i agree with the other folks who think the clean crack is evidence of a bad part rather than extreme conditions.

what this discussion needs is info. homie needs to take a close look with a magnifying glass and see if there are metal particles stuck to the plugs' porcelain. this would clarify whether there was significant detonation occuring.

and even if there was, it could have been bad gas, bad boost guage, dirty injector, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

That piston looks like it hit something, a spark plug perhaps since it seems right at the center is where a piece is missing.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

once that piston is out of the motor and can be seen from the bottom, I bet your going to see that the crack started on the thinnest spot. that looks to me to be a casting flaw in the piston and nothing more. Detonation would have to be VERY severe to split a piston in half, and there isnt any sign of it or other damage on those pistons. normally the top ring land cracks of first.

I have blown up a few stock mitsu turbo DSM motors...none have ever failed like this from detonation.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Oh man,

Sorry to hear about the problems. Sounds like you'll be able to get it fixed up though.

Good luck!

FB
Old Dec 12, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

It's time for a heavy duty piston imo.....

Quick Reply: Cracked Piston #2..WTH?