Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cracked Piston #2..WTH?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
Looking at the first in the series of pictures, it looks like that there was some valve float and possibly some collision between the exhaust valves and the #2 piston.

Maybe the increased lift of the 272s combined with (an increased rev limit?) caused the float. If you look closely at the piston, right above the factory valve reliefs there are two very small pattermarks.

If the piston was very hot and there was a collision at the same time then that could have caused the crack.

Anyone buy into this one? Bump also for a guy that takes great care of his car and is a great mechanic.

Alex
Dent Sport Garage
I would buy that but I can't see any marks on the piston from the valves hitting.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
I have blown up a few stock mitsu turbo DSM motors...none have ever failed like this from detonation.
Nate, I think you should show pictures of what happens when a machine shop balances a piston by drilling tons of tiny holes in it. Do you happen to have any pictures of what happens then?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:47 AM
Account Disabled

first pic, right above each factory-made notch on the small half of the cracked piston... (exhaust side)
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

How about posting some pictures taken from the bottom of the piston?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

TD05HR can we have a close pic from the top of the piston?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Lyublinsky
I would buy that but I can't see any marks on the piston from the valves hitting.
I see the marks easily, but is that enough to crack a piston? I think Bimmubishi might have something.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I bet that the marks were made after the piston cracked.

Either way, valves don't break pistons with little love taps that leave the valves unscathed. If a valve is taking out a piston, the head will at least break off and slam a hole in the piston. Also, note that the marks are colored like the surrounding piston. I bet that they were made a while ago, not with this incident.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Looking at the first in the series of pictures, it looks like that there was some valve float and possibly some collision between the exhaust valves and the #2 piston.

Maybe the increased lift of the 272s combined with (an increased rev limit?) caused the float. If you look closely at the piston, right above the factory valve reliefs there are two very small pattermarks.

If the piston was very hot and there was a collision at the same time then that could have caused the crack.

Anyone buy into this one? Bump also for a guy that takes great care of his car and is a great mechanic.

Alex
Dent Sport Garage
i thought 272's were of the same lift but only increased duration. Increased duration shouldn't cause valve float?!

But I do see those marks you're mentioning Alex...hmmm.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

Anjapower, They're 10.8 lift but I don't know what stock is. It probably didn't happen at the top of it's stroke given the location of the pattermarks. The step 2 have higher lift for sure but I don't know about the step one but it's probably moot. I've also never seen a DSM piston give up the ghost in a valve-piston fight but anything's possible.

Also noteable is that there are adjustable cam gears in the mix.

Changing the lobe profile to something as aggressive as those cams with an increased rev limit is what causes valve float. It's what happens when stock springs meet a non stock rev limit.

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Dec 13, 2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
No way is that anyone's fault, especially not the tuners.

I have NEVER seen a pistons break like that, it was not detonation. Does that crack go down or up? I mean is the pistons raised up in the cracked area or is it pushed down?

Looks like it may have gotten a hit of cold water on a hot pistons, maybe the head gasket blew a little, very very odd.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
Nate, I think you should show pictures of what happens when a machine shop balances a piston by drilling tons of tiny holes in it. Do you happen to have any pictures of what happens then?
Ill take some new pics of that piston..I still have it sitting on the shelf as a momento of my first "racecar". hahaha

I can't see this piston breaking being in any way tuning related. valve contant doesn't break a piston like this either...no way this is a HKS cam/valvetrain issue.

95% I think it's just a casting flaw...just a crappy piston from mitsu.

Last edited by DSMotorsport; Dec 13, 2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Piston hitting the valve = bent valve and busted guides

Not a perfectly cracked piston. I say machine defect that just gotten worse.

Got pics of the cylinder walls yet ?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Good info guys keep it coming. I'd never seen anything like this ever either. The cylinder wall doesn't look too bad, a small linear mark only that should come out with the flex hone. Luckily he had the care and foresight to turn the car off and get a tow.

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Dec 13, 2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for eveyone concern....

it is clear then..its just a factory flaw..another mitsubishi **** up...

i justed talked to AL today and hes gonna send me a rod and piston...for free...hes not even obligated to help me this much...but hes gonna, which shows how nice of a guy he is...i really appriciated it man...

i dont have picts of the sidewall right now..i will get some..

David.

the piston cracked down to the wrist pin...the 2 peices is still together...it just cracked to the pin and stop there...it didnt move up or down..just that chunk went missing..

Alex
Dent Sport Garage
thanks Alex for pointing this out..hopefully i'llbe at the shop on weds. and well look @ it...

like someone said this could happens to anyone..hopefully it doesnt show up as much..w. everyones help, this thing is be up and running in no time...hehe i'm only gonna run 20psi max from now on to be on the safe side...well anything can happen..i guess..

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Take a look at my #2, it has a hairline crack right down the middle from top to bottom similar to this guys'. I put my nail to it and its a crack. And #3 speaks for itself This sucks man........Good luck, I'm on hold for a while cuz it aint gonna be cheap
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Piston #2..WTH?-crakt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cracked Piston #2..WTH?