Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPS twin carbon clutch impressions...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPS twin carbon clutch impressions...

I have had this clutch on my EVO for several weeks thanks to RnR. Now that I have some time on the clutch, I'd like to share with the rest of you my thoughts on the product, as well as RPS as a company.

My car:

This is on my 03 EVO that has been setup by RnR racing with a GT35R and all the supporting mods. The motor and head are stock other than cams and head studs. On 91 octane I make ~440whp. I have not pushed the 110 octane yet, but should have the map finished for it soon. I am still at low boost and have made 465whp on 110 @ 23.5 psi. Now on to the clutch.

When I first got in the car after the clutch install, I had my expectations. I have been driving performance modded cars for years, so I understand that going to a twin plate clutch that can hold the amount of power that the RPS holds comes with it's sacrifices as well.

1) Heavy clutch pedal feel.

2) Grabby on and off type engagement.

3) Noisy plates.

RPS blew me out of the water and proved me wrong. I couldn't even tell that RnR had installed the clutch. It felt just like my stock clutch. Read: NO DIFFERENCE. There was nothing to get used to right off the bat. I loved it.

Next I drove the car and the engagement was stock like too. HUH???? It is not grabby at all! Of course if you heat it up big time it will bet more grabby without breaking, but around town is a dream. Again, NO DIFFERENT FROM STOCK!

Noise? Where's the noise? Sitting at idle, in a quiet spot like my garage, if I put the clutch in, you can hear it faintly. It makes almost no noise at all. In the real world, sitting at a light with cars all around you, you can't hear a thing.

I can see myself using this clutch and only this clutch for the life of my car and any other car I have for that matter. This is truely a case of, "You get what you pay for". I was also able to inspect the clutch before the install. A clutch is never seen. It is always hidden by the motor and tranny. What a shame in this case. The thing is a freaking work of art. Really, it should be hung in a museum. The quality is simply amazing.

As for RPS as a company... The EVO clutch is a new product for them, so I did have a few questions and needed a little break in support. I was shocked when they told me to "drive it like you stole it". Seriously, they told me to beat on it. They stand behind their product like it was their kid. JT and Rob were very helpful and informative. They take the time to explain not only that the clutch works, but why it does. The feeling of safety I have dealing with a company like RPS is VERY comforting. That is how it should be, no matter how much you spend on a product, but especially with a high dollar item like this.

All of that, and inexpensive rebuilds (IF you EVER are able to wear the plates out), and it really is a win/win situation. This is the only clutch for me. I am keeping my EVO for a daily driver, but the next project is a dedicated road race EVO. Guess what clutch will be on that car?

I just want to thank Ryan and Richard from RnR racing for helping me out with this purchase. As always, you guys don't mess around and have always looked out for my car, making sure it recieves only the best. I can't thank you enough. And to Rob, JT, and the RPS crew, you are a class act and # 1 in my book when it comes to clutches. Your product, support, and dedication to the industry is amazing.

Thanks,

Last edited by STFU Tuning; Dec 13, 2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...nice, I can't wait for more reviews after you get some real miles on it.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, so far about 750 miles.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Man do you know about Drag version of this clutch? it costs 3200$
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

I am not aware of a different version of this clutch. The particular one in my car retails for around 3K. As far as I know, it is the same clutch used in drag applications, but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Damnit! I want this clutch so bad Very nice write-up tho
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
Man do you know about Drag version of this clutch? it costs 3200$
Yours was the only one. That model is not really going to be made as they felt it was serious overkill. They can make it but the normal RPS is more than enough. Consider yourself special since I know you are looking for more power than the average evo owner.

Good stuff from RPS.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

i hope ryan takes care of my car like he did yours... anyway, he also has been suggesting a clutch upgrade . need to save money to get the rps clutch now.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geo@EvoStore
Yours was the only one. That model is not really going to be made as they felt it was serious overkill. They can make it but the normal RPS is more than enough. Consider yourself special since I know you are looking for more power than the average evo owner.

Good stuff from RPS.
Thank you Geo for explaining the special version.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have to agree with the comments, This clutch is top quality drives like a stock car, I wasnt looking forward to doing my car and putting in the normal twin plate and all the grab issues,
Now I have the perfect car Granny car drive as well.

Mark
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S
I have to agree with the comments, This clutch is top quality drives like a stock car, I wasnt looking forward to doing my car and putting in the normal twin plate and all the grab issues,
Now I have the perfect car Granny car drive as well.

Mark
Mark,
Have you taken it at the track yet? You are the customer in the UK right?
Cheers,
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the kind words and we glad everything has worked out so well for you.

Yes, we really happy with the RPS clutch at RnR. It has been working well and we are proud to use it on all the EVO's we build. Pretty much 24/7 we build VERY powerful and fast street/drag/road race/show EVO's. We now have a reliable clutch that we can put in them and have no worries. In the past we tried out many different clutches in search of the perfect set up. With all of these other clutches there were always compromises in one way or another. With this clutch I can honestly say there are none to be reported.

If anyone needs one of these units let me know. I have heard these might be hard to come by pretty soon because they are so popular.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

were are you located? any actual abuse of the clutch yet? also is retail $2895? how many of theses clutches have you done on the evos? how are they on 5k launch? i also heard that the pedal goes away and needs to be adjusted 2 or three times, any truth to that?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I bet that is one Great clutch it hurts to spend 3000+ on a Clutch WOW if i had the cash i would get it but i dont so i Exedy twin plate is the most i could afford and thats what i have
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kuba23
I bet that is one Great clutch it hurts to spend 3000+ on a Clutch WOW if i had the cash i would get it but i dont so i Exedy twin plate is the most i could afford and thats what i have
exedy is a great clutch for the money!

Quick Reply: RPS twin carbon clutch impressions...