Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How hot is our downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hot is our downpipe?

Just wondering how hot is our downpipe? I have bought some 2" exhaust wrap for my RMR 3" downpipe, because the pipe is in contact with the crossmember of the car and make annoying "cling cling" sounds. I was hoping the wrap can eliminate the bothering sounds.

But it seems like the downpipe is burning the wrap, it has little bit of smoke and smell and the wrap turns alittle yellowish brown.

The wrap is suppose to withstand 1100 degrees farenheit. So is the downpipe to hot to use exhaust wrap??? Please help
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing here but I'm sure the wrap is going to be good. It's gonna turn colors and smell funny as do all new exhaust parts/supplies when they are exposed to heat.

If you want a better product, I suggest Jet Hot coating. It's a little over $100 for a downpipe and the finish is awesome with a rust through garantee.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:41 AM

But did the "cling cling" sound go away. My guess would be that if the DP was making contact with the cross member, then that would mean the wrap would be rubbing against the cross member and over time, it would deteriorate.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Your question, asked by me and answered by others.

click https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=106605
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
Just wondering how hot is our downpipe? I have bought some 2" exhaust wrap for my RMR 3" downpipe, because the pipe is in contact with the crossmember of the car and make annoying "cling cling" sounds. I was hoping the wrap can eliminate the bothering sounds.

But it seems like the downpipe is burning the wrap, it has little bit of smoke and smell and the wrap turns alittle yellowish brown.

The wrap is suppose to withstand 1100 degrees farenheit. So is the downpipe to hot to use exhaust wrap??? Please help
What the hell is exhaust wrap?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the inputs!!!

I got the RMR lower arm braces, so the downpipe is clear on the bottom, but its very close to the oil pan (not touching). And its barely in contact with the cross member.

The majority of the "cling cling" did went away, but i still hear it faintly. Its much more tolerable now. But I really like the idea to put something in the middle of the rubber hangar to stretch it down alittle.

The RMR downpipe also makes the oil alot hotter now. Before the downpipe mod, the oil used to be around 65 degrees and its around 80+ now. I have put heat deflecting sticker on the bottom of the oil pan as well as wraps around the downpipe. Apparently, it makes no difference.

Whats the normal temp for oil in 60 degrees temp?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

i have the helix dp, and i wrapped it with some fiberglass wrap from summitracing.com, clamped the last 3 inches on both ends with hose clamps then i painted over it all with some heat resistant paint. This ensured that the wrap wouldnt fray. Its awesome. And the paint smells when its breaking in, but it doesnt sound like that was your problem...
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51

Where did you buy exhaust wrap?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Got the exhaust wrap on ebay for $26.95 including shipping. Its 50' in length and 2" wide.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

I dont wana steal the thread or anything, but is an Exhaust rap a recomended item with a new DP? This is the first time I have heard anything with heat wrap except the headers. Also, how is it "stuck" to the DP?