Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stuck in traffic on a hill, now a weird burning smell.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of the e-brake, believe it or not, the Evo's engine has enough torque at idle such that if you engage the clutch to the point where you can see the rpm drop, you can safely move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without rolling backwards on all but the steepest of inclines. Steeper inclines, you may have to let the engine rpm dip a tad more so that the engine itself tries to correct the idle speed (sort of like letting it step on the gas a little for you).
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
Instead of the e-brake, believe it or not, the Evo's engine has enough torque at idle such that if you engage the clutch to the point where you can see the rpm drop, you can safely move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without rolling backwards on all but the steepest of inclines. Steeper inclines, you may have to let the engine rpm dip a tad more so that the engine itself tries to correct the idle speed (sort of like letting it step on the gas a little for you).
Why would you purposely slip the clutch like that when there is a handbrake 2" from you?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitet777
Why would you purposely slip the clutch like that when there is a handbrake 2" from you?
You only do it for a second. I was simply offering another option. It shouldn't be any more or less damaging to the clutch. I find it more convenient to use the normal driving controls as opposed to using a handbrake. If anything, the handbrake method would incur MORE damage on the clutch, as most people are gassing the engine while letting off the e-brake, while my method lets off the brake when the engine is still idling.

I don't see any merit in your conclusion.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

that smell is your clutch burning!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by machron1
You only do it for a second. I was simply offering another option. It shouldn't be any more or less damaging to the clutch. I find it more convenient to use the normal driving controls as opposed to using a handbrake. If anything, the handbrake method would incur MORE damage on the clutch, as most people are gassing the engine while letting off the e-brake, while my method lets off the brake when the engine is still idling.

I don't see any merit in your conclusion.
I was picturing you sitting there the whole time on the hill doing that. It it's only for a second, no problem then.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Its the clutch.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:57 PM

OK, so is this damaging? Should I be worried, how can i repair the damage if any?