Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stuck in traffic on a hill, now a weird burning smell.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in traffic on a hill, now a weird burning smell.

Hey guys,

I was stuck in traffic going up this hill like 10 degree angle, but enough to roll the car back, for about 30 min...and while on this hill, i'd step on the breaks to keep my car from rolling back..but when i had to move forward, i'd use the clutch and gas it a little to move it forward......then i started to smell a burning smell, after i parked my car and went to work...and then left work and drove the car..it still kinda smelled of this burning smell...

I spoke to another evo owner and he said I burned the clutch. IS this right? Could it be that i was stuck in an incline for while and certain fluids were reaching where they should be? Anybody else that can comment???

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Slipping clutch for 30min could cause clutch smell but not anything bad. I've burn the clutch couple of times at 5K rpm and had a really bad smell but with 26k miles on the same clutch no problem.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

burnt clutch. easy to do on a hill.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with these guys, that was most likely a burnt clutch you smelled. Just take 'er easy on the clutch for a while - no more hills, it should be okay.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:07 AM

ok thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

learn to balance the clutch on a hill, its pretty easy
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:48 AM
Account Disabled

yep - def clutch - I try to sometimes wait so there is enough room in front of me to fully engage the gear rather than just inching forward slipping the clutch - especially up a hill, which could get frustrating!

adam
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

You can also use the parking brake to act as a 3rd foot for yourself on a hill. Just release the parking brake after you just start to release the clutch while in gear. You won't roll back using this method.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
yep - def clutch - I try to sometimes wait so there is enough room in front of me to fully engage the gear rather than just inching forward slipping the clutch - especially up a hill, which could get frustrating!

adam
So true. I just sat in huge traffic today. I was getting impatient waiting... I really hate when you dont have enough room to fully engage the clutch and you chance it anyway. Suddenly, the car ahead of you stops and you jerk...*sigh*
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:49 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitet777
You can also use the parking brake to act as a 3rd foot for yourself on a hill. Just release the parking brake after you just start to release the clutch while in gear. You won't roll back using this method.
I was taught to drive in England and we use the handbrake a lot over there, especially on hills. My American passengers always look at me like WTF whenever they see me drive. But, the handbrake is a good tool for hills.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CuniTEVo8
Hey guys,

I was stuck in traffic going up this hill like 10 degree angle, but enough to roll the car back, for about 30 min...and while on this hill, i'd step on the breaks to keep my car from rolling back..but when i had to move forward, i'd use the clutch and gas it a little to move it forward......then i started to smell a burning smell, after i parked my car and went to work...and then left work and drove the car..it still kinda smelled of this burning smell...

I spoke to another evo owner and he said I burned the clutch. IS this right? Could it be that i was stuck in an incline for while and certain fluids were reaching where they should be? Anybody else that can comment???

Thanks.
my recommendation is to use the e-brakes not your regular brakes. and when you want to edge up, you gas alil and you slowly let go of the clutch.. your car isnt really moving but your rpm is up, this prevents clutch wear and stalling.... unless you are doing this daily, your ebrake should be fine too.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
I was taught to drive in England and we use the handbrake a lot over there, especially on hills. My American passengers always look at me like WTF whenever they see me drive. But, the handbrake is a good tool for hills.
agreed... It's very useful in the city streets of San Fancisco...
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

didnt even read your thread...clutch.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:09 AM

Fir Shure Tha Clutch
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

lol @ chris.. you are so right on there...San Francisco and the Evo's stock clutch is not a match made in heaven.

Cuni.. not to worry.. I burned my stock clutch three times but when I replaced it it still had a lot of life left and never showed signs of slipage. Do yourself a favor and remove the restictor in your slave cylinder. BTW I would still be using the stock clutch but my dealer had my car down for the 5th gear syncro so Iwas able to get the new one (ACT HD) and an aluminum flywheel put in labor free.

Last edited by WildRice; Dec 16, 2004 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stuck in traffic on a hill, now a weird burning smell.