Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

been in a GT35R and 3037 Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
been in a GT35R and 3037 Evo?

I pretty much know the differences between these two after spending a lot of freaking time on this forum. Have you ridden in a GT35R turbo Evo and a 3037 turbo Evo? Lets put the lag to the side here and talk about the feeling you get once that turbo kicks in. What are your experiences between these two as far as power and the adrenaline rush

for example: 3037= nice power, dam thats fast!
GT35R= bow down!, omfg definately get the this one

Last edited by Derek888; Dec 16, 2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rode in a car equiped with the HKS 3037, pretty much with all bolt ons done, and a custom flash. I have to say it was pretty cool, however this was my first time in an Evo with an aftermarket turbo. It was fast, nothing else to say.

I just recently had the 35r installed on my car, with a 2.4L block and all supporting mods. The car still isn't completely tuned (should be done this weekend) but all I can say is the 3037 just couldn't compare, at all. I can't wait till I can hit 24 psi with my car. My car spools so fast, and runs so much smoother than the 3037 equiped Evo, I couldn't believe it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

So to you the 3037 couldnt compare to the GT35R Do you think its because your engine is 2.4L?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
So to you the 3037 couldnt compare to the GT35R Do you think its because your engine is 2.4L?
I would say a 2.4 makes a huge difference in spool up.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have the GT35 on a 2.1 .20 over setup. Before the engine build i made over 500whp and after i made 676whp. Of course that is raising the boost 5 more pounds and all more aggressive tuning. Next is to raise the rev limiter to 9500 and see how that goes. But my goal is the 700whp mark which im not too sure the GT35 is going to get me there. So i have been looking into the GT37. Oh ya i get full boost around 4200-4500rpms (35psi) now with my setup if that matters at all. Before on stock engine i was hitting 5000-5500rpms full boost.

Everybody that has rode in the car is just amazed on how it pulls after it spools. I have no problem smokeing all 4 tires when i hit 2nd gear. My opinion is the GT35 but only if you dont mind the lag issue. But it also depends on what the car is going to be used for. AutoX you would want the 3071 or 3037 for drag racing you would want the GT35. Up to you

Chris
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TampaTurbo
I would say a 2.4 makes a huge difference in spool up.
Besides the spool up do you think once the boost kicks in there is a big difference in power and speed?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Besides the spool up do you think once the boost kicks in there is a big difference in power and speed?
absolutely, thats a BIG turbo. You are moving much more air with this turbo. To compare the amount of air that moves between the 2 turbos at max boost is like blowing through a straw and a pipe. The turbo performs at max once you hit full boost, its how long it takes to build boost is the question I think you are trying to find. On an unbuilt motor, I would stick with a good spooling, low lag turbo for performance. You'll want that kick in the pants feeling in a more useble powerband with a 2.0 L. If you have a 2.4 with a big turbo like the GT35 then the engine displacement makes up for the lag. So yes a 2.4 will kick our butts with a GT35 any day of the week. A 3037 or equivalent to a GT35 on a 2.0L is better IMO becasue the race would be over before the big turbo actually had a chance. It depends on your driving style to. If you like to drive around 5Krpms all the time then go with the big turbo. You wont find me driving around like that. I want power in a more useable powerband.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
AutoX you would want the 3071 or 3037 for drag racing you would want the GT35. Up to you

Chris

I dont drag race or Auto X. I mostly race on the streets and highways. Barely race from a dead stop.

Got a question between these 2 turbos. What do you think would happen if both Evo with same mods but different turbo. For example a race from a stop the 3037 will spool up faster and get a lead on the GT35R but once the GT35R turbo kicks in will it have enough power to easily catch up and make up for the lost time within a few seconds? I just want to know how long do you think it will take for the GT35R to catch up to a 3037. If you can catch up within a few seconds then I dont mind, but if its going to take a couple of more gear changes then that would suck.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

absolutely, thats a BIG turbo. You are moving much more air with this turbo. To compare the amount of air that moves between the 2 turbos at max boost is like blowing through a straw and a pipe. The turbo performs at max once you hit full boost, its how long it takes to build boost is the question I think you are trying to find. On an unbuilt motor, I would stick with a good spooling, low lag turbo for performance. You'll want that kick in the pants feeling in a more useble powerband with a 2.0 L. If you have a 2.4 with a big turbo like the GT35 then the engine displacement makes up for the lag. So yes a 2.4 will kick our butts with a GT35 any day of the week. A 3037 or equivalent to a GT35 on a 2.0L is better IMO becasue the race would be over before the big turbo actually had a chance. It depends on your driving style to. If you like to drive around 5Krpms all the time then go with the big turbo. You wont find me driving around like that. I want power in a more useable powerband.
Im just afraid I might go all out one day and build a 2.4L and have to change to a bigger turbo
You know what they say, modding is addictive!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

If you dont race from a dead stop the smaller turbos are usless to you. The bigger turbo will already be spooling as long as you are moving. Its not hard to down shift and hit 4500-5000rpms and go which is the sweet spot of the GT35. So if thats what you plan on doing i would go with the GT35. Also what kind of boost levels are you looking for. Really i believe the GT35 is the only turbo that is trully effiecent above 30psi. I wanted to run upwards of 40psi but the GT35 is out of its effieceny range at 35psi. So i must look farther. Anyway enough of my babble.

Chris

I dont drag race or Auto X. I mostly race on the streets and highways. Barely race from a dead stop.

Got a question between these 2 turbos. What do you think would happen if both Evo with same mods but different turbo. For example a race from a stop the 3037 will spool up faster and get a lead on the GT35R but once the GT35R turbo kicks in will it have enough power to easily catch up and make up for the lost time within a few seconds? I just want to know how long do you think it will take for the GT35R to catch up to a 3037. If you can catch up within a few seconds then I dont mind, but if its going to take a couple of more gear changes then that would suck.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Im just afraid I might go all out one day and build a 2.4L and have to change to a bigger turbo
You know what they say, modding is addictive!
Well if you go with a GT series turbo and manifiold then just buy the bigger turbo when you are ready. It will bolt up.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Well if you go with a GT series turbo and manifiold then just buy the bigger turbo when you are ready. It will bolt up.
The GT series turbo are no where near cheap IMO ranging from $1000 to $2500 for just the turbo depending on model. Of course the models we are talking about are in the price range of $1200 to $1500 range but still no little amount. The problem with the GT series turbos is you cant just change a wheel or fin. If you for some reason get a fin bent you have to buy a whole new cartridge or center section they call it and those go for $1000 by themselves. Gotta love it!

Chris
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

The GT series turbo are no where near cheap IMO ranging from $1000 to $2500 for just the turbo depending on model. Of course the models we are talking about are in the price range of $1200 to $1500 range but still no little amount. The problem with the GT series turbos is you cant just change a wheel or fin. If you for some reason get a fin bent you have to buy a whole new cartridge or center section they call it and those go for $1000 by themselves. Gotta love it!

Chris
Thats cool...All I meant was in comparison to the ATP kits then You shoudl still be able to swap the turbos ..no?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

If you dont race from a dead stop the smaller turbos are usless to you. The bigger turbo will already be spooling as long as you are moving. Its not hard to down shift and hit 4500-5000rpms and go which is the sweet spot of the GT35. So if thats what you plan on doing i would go with the GT35. Also what kind of boost levels are you looking for. Really i believe the GT35 is the only turbo that is trully effiecent above 30psi. I wanted to run upwards of 40psi but the GT35 is out of its effieceny range at 35psi. So i must look farther. Anyway enough of my babble.

Chris
Isnt it true that with race gas you can turn up the boost much higher than with pump gas? With pump gas on the GT35R how much boost can it handle?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

For me the GT3037 is a overall better turbo for the street and road track however if your plans include a stroked motor then look at the GT35R.

Quick Reply: been in a GT35R and 3037 Evo?