Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Polling interest- GM Maf Translator Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polling interest- GM Maf Translator Conversion

I am wondering how many people would be interested. I am currently talking to Ongreenperformance.com and if I can get 10 buyers they are willing to work a group buy price. The 2G setup is fully compatiable with our cars and they have setup about 10 on Evo's so far with great results. Right now they are only $280 shipped.
Here is some info I got from there site On Green Performance
They have pics on there site.

2G Maf Translator
This is the device that allows you to run the Below 3" GM Mas, It makes the installation basically plug and play with only 1 wire to tap. Not only do you get a much less restrictive higher flowing Mas/Maf, but the Translator also allows you to tune fuel curves, making the need for a fuel computer for basic setups unneeded. Much easier and more useful then the 2G mas set up, also easy to reverse if you ever want to, does not require you to cut the stock plug, this set up makes a 2G Mas seem like a 1G Mas--It flows. Also works on the 3SI Cars.

3" GM Mas
This is an excellent upgrade for the DSM community wanting to make 400+ HP, on either a 1G or 2G Eclipse/Talon. When used with the Maf Translator, it allows you to remove that restrictive karman Vortex style Mas and Replace it with this much less restrictive hot wire set-up. It can be used in either a blow threw or draw threw application. This picks up where the 2G mas falls off.--See Intakes for Filters and Pipes to fit this. (All Mas's are low mileage used units-Pretested and work great)

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 16, 2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

You know I was just thinking the same thing Barry...lol

Count me in.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

The Gm maf set up as a blow through setup will also allow you to VTA if you have an aftermarket valve with no chance of having any problems at all. This setup is very similar to the one that Ultimate Racing use to offer at over $600. This setup is half the price and if you every damage your GM maf you can get another one for only $75. These are pretty hot items in the DSM commmunity also. I did a setup on my buddies DSM. Really easy to install with only one wire to tap and you can go back to stock anytime.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by w_tomas
You know I was just thinking the same thing Barry...lol

Count me in.
Sounds good man.
Count is 2 definite so far.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I inquired about it, and fullthrottlespeed said their were some issues with the calibration between the 2G MAF and the EVO MAF's output frequencies.

I don't have any direct data, but I've got some information that indicates the two MAF's do not output the same frequency for a given airflow ammount.

Has something changed in the last month or so since I've talked to them?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good idea
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

I will check into the differences between the maf's. Thanks for the info. I think as long as you tune for the maf it should be ok as long as they output the same range although they may meter differently. Definitely something I will look into.
Sorry for the late reply. I was out for the Xmas holiday and didn't get to a computer. Hope everyone had a good holiday.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is a calibration difference.. The MAF signal ramps quicker on the Evo than it did on the 2G

This item WILL work.. However please be aware of the shortcomings of this kit over the one UR was selling (www.pro-flow.com is the blowthrough MAF setup I'm using)

the GM MAF can be prone to damage from vibration and high velocity airflow, the Ford Cobra unit (used in the proflow) is suspended in the airstream differently and is therefore less prone to damage.

calibration is calibration, if you can tune for it, or calibrate the unit itself, then your OK..

the OE Maf sensor on the EVO has a 1bar MAP sensor, and Intake air temp sensor, both are used to influence the signal output of the sensor.. the Pro-Flow Converter has these sensors, and utilizes them for consistent results in any weather. As far as I know, this is something this unit does not do. I also think it may not have the temp or map sensor components but it may "loopback" those sensors (hopefully you can add your own) therefore the factory ECU will no longer have these inputs to compensate for conditions.

Do your research.. www.pro-flow.com is what I'm using.. but the main advantage of your unit is price.. So weigh the features and your options before you buy.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Also be aware that the 2G MAF plug is different, so it has to be spliced into your current MAF wiring, or salvage a MAF sensor plug from a broken MAF sensor.. Also, calibration takes time, this unit will need to be calibrated before you can reliably use it.. You will need a way to read and compare the MAF readings of the stock sensor and your new setup..

Just keep these things in mind, otherwise, either one will work well..
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...I'm really lost!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Wow...I'm really lost!
Its not a difficult mod, but you have to understand what your getting into when you make changes like this.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

People have to understand that the 2g pin plug is much wider than any post 2000, Mitsu cars. I don't know if Mitsu still uses the design from the 2g.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep.. But the wiring left to right is the same.. Both are 7 pin connectors, and functionally all of the MAF sensors with seven pins work the same regardless of which Mitsubishi it came from.. the calibration and physical dimensions (look of) the MAF varies..

This item, along with the Pro-Flow will work on any Karmann sensor equipped car, some may take more work than others to get working right, but it will work.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how something like this would work with a MAF standalone like the Apexi L-Jetro version to the Power FC?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Ultimately the output it produces is compatible with the stock ECU, so it would work with any aftermarket standalone that uses the MAF frequency.. Tuning is really the only issue since that does need to be matched and adjusted accordingly.

Quick Reply: Polling interest- GM Maf Translator Conversion