Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3 inch QUIET turbo back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by an0ther
I have turboXS downpipe and 3" all the way back. Its not loud at all, just a deeper rumble and a good tone all the way up the rpms. Never gets raspy, and I am running the stock cat with it. I think I paid like $900 for both. Bolts on perfect and muffler comes out sideways and has titanium burnt tip. All I have is this, nothing else and my car dyno at 234/231. Felt a difference bigtime past 6k rpm. Easy to hit the rev limiter afterwards.
So according to the dyno, the exhaust did nothing for your car.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Please go check out the Dyno thread I started last week over in the Turbo/Engine/Drivetrain section. I have done a bunch of testing on our RS over the last 2 weeks and I think you will find some of it interesting.

Our 3" exhuast has no reducers, no resonators, is all TIG welded 304 SS and is the lightest weight system you can buy (in stainless). With the Magnaflow muffler and high flow 3" cat which will keep your car legal for the street I think the sound is what you are looking for. Also in testing over the last few weeks not only does the cat quiet the hell out of the system it was only about an 8 whp drop on power and as I said keeps the legal for the street.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I hear nothing but good things about the BR exhaust, like the gains and sound of the Magnaflow. I just don't like the way it appears that the muffler is at such a great angle pointing upwards, seems like it is haning to far away from the car. I have seen other systems where the muffler hugs close to the car like stock, making for a cleaner appearance. Take the Greddy Evo2, it has awesome ground clearance. Same with the AVO.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Please go check out the Dyno thread I started last week over in the Turbo/Engine/Drivetrain section. I have done a bunch of testing on our RS over the last 2 weeks and I think you will find some of it interesting.

Our 3" exhuast has no reducers, no resonators, is all TIG welded 304 SS and is the lightest weight system you can buy (in stainless). With the Magnaflow muffler and high flow 3" cat which will keep your car legal for the street I think the sound is what you are looking for. Also in testing over the last few weeks not only does the cat quiet the hell out of the system it was only about an 8 whp drop on power and as I said keeps the legal for the street.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I have been following the thread. Could you build the system with 2 magnaflow mufflers to be extra quiet? How about adding a resonator?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
Too match up with a 3" cat. UH DUH... There aren't many full 3" out there, and those aren't much to look at.
I hear ya! I think it sucks that you have to pay $500-$800 for a brand name catback exhaust system and then pay some G.O.B. (good old boy) to hack it up and weld a 3 collector to take advantage of the 3" cat. I think they should at least offer you the option of a true 3" system with the disclaimer that it will not bolt up to the factory cat.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

RMR is a nice product and it's quiet.

http://www.rmrproducts.com/index2.html
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:42 PM

check out some of vishnu's exhausts. They are expensive but the fit and finish and sound are excellent. Check out AMS exhausts too.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Any Vishnu guys care to comment?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

BR w/ magnaflow! I just have the catback right now and its barely louder than stock. It's almost too quiet
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a cheap catback and a pair of 3" resonators @$30 each then goto a muffler shop for some welding.

this will quiet your exhaust!!!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I suggest getting an avo turbo back. It has the largest muffler section out there. I think rnr racing is trying to sell a used one on socalevo.net, they have been tryin to sell it for several weeks now.

I had the magnaflow 5x8x14 muffler, similar to the vishnu set-up. It's so-so quiet outside, but inside was too loud for me. It seemed loud @ the rear of the car, coming from the trunk area. I also had a 3" resonator too.

good luck.