Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Perrin o2 Sim installed still CEL...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004 | 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Perrin o2 Sim installed still CEL...

Hi, guys I have a Ultimate Racing High Flow Cat and have been getting the P0420 CEL. I purchased a Perrin o2 sim from lancershop followed the directions step by step and used a soldering gun for the complete install. The light is blinking which makes me think its working. However I used my OBD-II to clear the CEL after the install and thought it had gone away. 30 miles later its back on with the same code.

When I finished the install I clipped the two connectors back togeather. Is this what you are supposed to do or are you supposed to leave them unhooked? Also this step sort of confused me a little...

-Cut white wire on vehicle(does this mean the white wire coming from the ECU?). Using supplied connectors; (this step I do not understand)connect white wire on simulator to the side(of what wire) of the wire leading toward rear of vehicle (towards actual O2 sensor). Connect white wire with black stripe on simulator to white vehicle wire leading toward front of vehicle (towards the ECU.)

(NOTE: ONLY CUT WHITE WIRE! CONNECT ENDS WITH SUPPLIED CONNECTORS OR SOLDER. BE SURE TO SOLDER AND INSULATE CONNECTION TO RED WIRE! IF ANY OTHER WIRES ARE CUT THE SIMULATOR WILL NOT WORK.)

If anyone can clear that up to me so its not confusing I would appreciate it. I could of made a mistake. What I did was peel back the sleeve on the solid white wire and solder in the white / black wire to it from the o2 sim. Basically I just followed the diagram.

Any assistance in clearing this up I would apprecaite it!

Thanks
Staton
Old Dec 19, 2004 | 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

If I remember my install correctly, the white wire is cut completely and two separate wires from the O2 sim are connected to each end of the white wire. Mine works perfectly.
Old Dec 19, 2004 | 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Soo the white wire coming from the ECU side has to be cut? Then you solder in the two wires (white & white + black) from the o2 sim into each end of it? That sounds right Then after you are done you hook the two clips back togeather?
Old Dec 19, 2004 | 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

The white wire in the car never goes back together. It stays separate and is connected through the simulator only.
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Bump! Any other input?

Thanks

Staton
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'll take a pic for you this evening as I have my interior out for Dynamat anyways.
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

awesome!! thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Bump! Any other ideas?
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Hey oops I'll post the pic in the morning. I forgot.
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, just a quick question. Last night I went out and unplugged the two connectors (wire that connects the o2 sensor to the ecu) to see if my wiring would do. With in just a few minutes of driving it threw a p0141. Which makes me think that after I get this wired right that will go away as well. Right now my gas mileage is horrible 68 miles on a half tank. So after I get this wired togeather correctly I do leave those two connectors unhooked correct? I so want my good gas mileage back!!
Old Dec 20, 2004 | 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what connectors you are talking about. You should not be unhooking any connectors and you should not be removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust flow. This simulator simply changes the reading the sensor transmits; it is not meant as a sensor replacement like some domestic cars.
Old Dec 21, 2004 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I am trying to remember the install to. I think there was 3 wires coming off the simulator. a red one, a white one and a black one to screw down for ground..I think. Anyway, once I peeled back the sleeve there were like 3 wires in it or something like that. I had to splice the white wire..I think and wire in one of the wires from the sim. to it. I didnt use anything but electrical tape and those little screw on caps. I had to twisted basically 3 wires after I cut the 1 into 2 and tie it all together. The 2nd wire on the Sim tied into a different wire and I screwd the black wire down somewhere in the tight space as well. Basically, the white wire from the Sim., lets say, intercepts the white wire from the O2 to the ECU
Old Dec 21, 2004 | 11:18 AM
Silver Sponsor

There are 4 wires Black goes to a good ground point on the chassis.

Underneath center console you will find a glossy black wire shielding. This is not the ribbed wire loom DO NOT CUT THE RIBBED WIRE LOOM!! Inside the shielding you will find a Red wire with yellow tracer("stripe), blue wire with yellow tracer, And another shielded wire(inside the shielding of this wire is a white and a black wire). Cut away the shielding on the shielded wire to uncover the white and black wire
Then you will ne to

Tap red wire to the red wire with yellow tracer.

Ground the black wire

cut the white wire on the car. Then connect the white wire on the sensor to the section of the wire you just just that is going to the rear of the vehicle or towards the sensor. Then connect the white wire with black stripe to the other end that is facing forward. Then put it all back together.

If you have any questions you can either give me a call 801.619.1779 or Perrin a call at 503-643-4677.
Old Dec 21, 2004 | 11:37 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by thestaton

When I finished the install I clipped the two connectors back togeather. Is this what you are supposed to do or are you supposed to leave them unhooked? Also this step sort of confused me a little...

-Cut white wire on vehicle(does this mean the white wire coming from the ECU?). Using supplied connectors; (this step I do not understand)connect white wire on simulator to the side(of what wire) of the wire leading toward rear of vehicle (towards actual O2 sensor). Connect white wire with black stripe on simulator to white vehicle wire leading toward front of vehicle (towards the ECU.)

(NOTE: ONLY CUT WHITE WIRE! CONNECT ENDS WITH SUPPLIED CONNECTORS OR SOLDER. BE SURE TO SOLDER AND INSULATE CONNECTION TO RED WIRE! IF ANY OTHER WIRES ARE CUT THE SIMULATOR WILL NOT WORK.)
The white wire they are speaking of is the only white wire inside of the shielding. it is inside the shielded wire(the shielded wire inside the first shielding)

It will go like this
Attached Thumbnails Perrin o2 Sim installed still CEL...-perrinevoo2fix.jpg