Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FQ-400 turbo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
You push more then 25 lbs of boost on the stock turbo enough and you will learn why you need ARP headstuds. Deffinetly the farthest thing from a "waste of money"

Eric
Well Eric at 25psi of boost on the stock turbo and pump gas your head gasket is not the only thing thats going to fail.

I was speaking in terms of making 350whp what is needed and what is not. Head studs are not a waste of money if you are going to push over 25psi. If you are not then you can live with out them.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what I am saying is for the prices of the supposed products listed you are going to have the cheapest possible setup...and one that I wouldnt put on my own car. if I am spending close to 30K on a new car I wouldnt just put on the parts that "get the job done" but ones that are made well enough to last and have a good company backing them. Maybe I am a special case.

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

what I am saying is for the prices of the supposed products listed you are going to have the cheapest possible setup...and one that I wouldnt put on my own car. if I am spending close to 30K on a new car I wouldnt just put on the parts that "get the job done" but ones that are made well enough to last and have a good company backing them. Maybe I am a special case.

Eric

Not at all I have much more money in my car then that. Bottom line it's making the most amount of power for cheap.

It's kinda of getto but it works

Last edited by Eric Lyublinsky; Dec 23, 2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Eric

...You are not alone...
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

so your buying the parts for the name and not the performance?

because i have a HKS sticker that adds 25whp if you need it .... i sell itto you cheap
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=EVOTEXAS.

you don't need headstuds and from what I hear, the ARPs aren't that good anyways. you're just regurgitating what you hear online, nothing more. try thinking on your own sometime. [/QUOTE]

ARPs are ok. why do you think they are not good.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Id also like to know where your getting hks 272 cams for $525 shipped.

and the clutch is a good point, without that making the most power for the least $ is rather pointless as you can't use it.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Eric
dude just the cams and reflash are important. The rest of the **** can be cheap as hell and wont make a diffrence. A $2000 burns exhaust vs a $600 megan will give you about the same performance. All the hardware is not a big deal and you can go cheap unless its liek a turbo mani, cams, internals etc. But nobody really skimps on that stuff. A say ***c name brand ****
Old Dec 23, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

turboback---u can go chep on this
fuel pump ----warlboro...its cheap
intake -------you dont even need this one
ecu reflash ----this is highly debateable...lol
MBC-------cheap you dont need some big $$$EBC
Cams-----The cheapest ones available are HKS and they are decent.

So the logic about a 30k car doesnt make sense.
Yeah maybe if you put on some ghetto as ebay fuel pump that doesnt work after 5 min....but only idiots do that. The key is to know where you can skimp and where you cant

For example if you go with an ems...then yeah spend the $$ to get it tuned right or if you go bigger turbo kit dont get the ebay crap...get something solid that wont break or crack.

Last edited by chapter8; Dec 23, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
Id also like to know where your getting hks 272 cams for $525 shipped.
Vendors on here sell them for that price.(or close to it)
Old Dec 23, 2004, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
Vendors on here sell them for that price.(or close to it)
Really...ok I guess I know where to look now, Ill buy every set I can at 525 shipped as those things are always out of stock.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 08:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
...you don't need headstuds and from what I hear, the ARPs aren't that good anyways. you're just regurgitating what you hear online, nothing more. try thinking on your own sometime.
To those would don't know better... um, no... you "probably" don't need headstuds on a bone stock Evo... "probably". However, having experienced replacing head gaskets on people's modified cars who didn't "need" them, I'd say it falls under the "I told you so" category (cheap insurance). Then again, I only have personal experience in the matter. No offense to EVOTEXAS, or anyone else... I'm just seeing way too much misinformation being posted based on, "I heard, read, or thought so", vs. I've personally fixed, modified, or worked on... Don't get me wrong, I post my opinion all the time. I also qualify it as such so green readers see that it is not fact, but just my personal opinion or interpretation.

Back on topic, I'm really not sure people will want this FQ400 turbo for a daily driver... there are other options current, and around the corner, that will probably drive much nicer.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah...there are quite a few turbocharger options available from vendors and manufacturers here in the usa. Evo owners have options for lower budget "only what you need" kits as well as high end hand fabricated big $ stuff.

I doubt the FP400's turbocharger is really any better than the options available here for less $.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zeus, no offense taken, we all have our own pieces of information that we believe and those which we take with a grain of salt.

Personally, I believe my tuner when they have the fastest EVO in the country and they do not have faith in the ARPs. When my philosophy matches up with theirs in other instances, I tend to respect their word regarding things with which I am not experienced.

To those of you who think that a 1500 dollar exhaust is going to last longer, be better supported, be made of better quality, or whatever than my 600 dollar exhaust, believe what you will. Enjoy my taillights though because my extra 900 dollars is in my motor.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:52 AM
Former Sponsor

now how does a topic about the FQ's turbo turn into and exhaust and headstud thread??

you guys also forgot to mention labor unless you can DIY...

Quick Reply: FQ-400 turbo