Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifting problems with Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim2001
If you do a search in the forum, you will see that this may be more common than we think. I find it hard to believe that you would have to hesitate before shifting 1-2 or 3-4.....I've driven hondas, toyotas, and mazdas and I can't think of a time when I missed a shift.
I never miss a shift in the Evo, but I've missed gears NUMEROUS times in other cars.

Oh, and if anyone is going to do a search, it is me (read my signature). I know all about the clutch, transfer case, synchro "problems" the Evo is having. The early Evo 8's had a bad batch of 5th gear synchros. That's it. There's a TSB on it. They replace them for free. Anything else that comes up damaged is dependant on the individual dealership if they replace it or not. Some are nice enough to do it even when it is not a warranty issue, some aren't. The clutch is designed to take more than the stock power the car makes. The transfer case and front differential are fine until you modify the clutch and make the front diff the fuse in the equation...Then it usually dies. The car has a stronger transmission that it's overseas counterparts, mainly due to the fact that they knew that us foolish round-eyes like to drag race a lot. That's also why there are things like the clutch restrictor, the 5,000 RPM rev limiter while the clutch is pressed in, etc, etc.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrMerl
34,000 miles with no tranny issues.

I'll join the choir and continue to sing -

Tranny must be warm before "hotboxing" =)
You must lift up on the throttle and take your time shifting.
Apply slight pressure to the left doing the 1-2, and exaggerate the 4-5 movement.
Use your fingers and sides of your hands and LIGHT pressure to shift, you will feel the syncros take in the next gear.
You must account for drivetrain movement on hard accel, it takes more timing and just a BIT longer hesitation than you think doing the 1-2.
It becomes a little more tricky turning left or right on hard accel during the 1-2, I think it's got to be due to the movement of the drivetrain, just take it slow.
The Evo has enough power to compensate for "slow" shifts (all AWD cars are like this from my experience).
If you grind or bind....let GO of the shifter, clutch in and give up, don't force it.

The Evo tranny is wonderful, clutch and all. Better feeling than Audi S4 and Subaru.

Feel the Syncros Luke!

This is by far the best thread on EVOm Yet!! Great post.

This cars do have very good trannys in them just need to adjust you driving habits.

Eric
Old Jan 5, 2015, 06:22 PM

I got a similar issue, it isn't my driving. I'll be in 5th trying to down shift to 4th and it won't go in at all but if I put it in 3rd it goes in fine. Can't figure out what it is. Been looking all over online
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:58 PM

Really dude....? This post is 11 years old.