Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1500$ Clutch Opinons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=114683
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HKS GD Max and I love it. I have had no problems with it I do beat the cr*p out of it and it has never skipped a beat.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

The Exedy twin is a good clutch, but it definitely does not feel like stock..... I don't know about all those other clutches out there, but if you want to retain the stock driveability I'd strongly suggest a stock clutch......... Just don't launch it much....... If the stock clutch is not abused I think it'll last a looooong time. If you are abusive with it, you prolly need a racing clutch. Just be aware that a racing clutch is not as easy to drive as the stock clutch.

I don't care what anybody says, they are not just like stock, period. They can't be because if they drove like the stock clutch, they'd last like the stock clutch.

Before you go with an aftermarket high performance clutch, I'd strongly suggest driving a car with the clutch you are thinking about. No matter how much hassle it will be to arrange, it'll save you a ton of problems and unhappiness in the long run.

Oh yeah, be damned sure that whoever does your clutch, knows exactly what they are doing. Also, after they do you clutch, take the car to another trusted mechanic and have it up on a lift and check everything. Make sure they did not leave the transmission bolts loose or missing, etc. Trust me on this, I've been through it.....

Last edited by MR-SilverEVO8; Dec 24, 2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

One clutch setup I havent seen too many go with is the Unorthodox racing clutches. I have the UR 6 puck ceramic disk sprung clutch w/ their lt wgt flywheel (has a replaceable friction surface). So far I have over 28k miles on it and has no signs of letting up. Grabs just as good as when it was broken in. I've drag raced and autocrossed with it. Launched hard about 20 times with it. Awesome clutch and hope it goes another 15k miles. If I remember correctly, i paid 1200 for the setup. Im putting down 311whp (DD Dyno). It does chatter a bit though. No big deal though. Just annoying from time to time.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:51 PM

okay, exedy hyper single carbon or hks gd max.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:59 PM

or exedy twin non carbon
Old Dec 24, 2004, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
twin disc is great, but what I've heard is that cusco disk, which is basically the exedy twin disk, wont hold more than 400 whp which is not what the factory spec is.

Also, the twin disc is not very street drivable. It's very hard to start from the stop.

That and the 6 puck is very harsh on the transmission, because it grabs very immediately. but not like twin disc harsh.

For $1500, you could get the light flywheel, ACT clutch and street disk with installation.

it's a good setup until your WHP is up to 400 whp +. Besides, it's very easy to drive daily and it's a world of a difference.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my friends car is pushing 40X awhp mustang, and there's no problems w/o slipping. the clutch is really easy to drive too. Exedy twin.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
........ the clutch is really easy to drive too. Exedy twin.
The Exedy twin is a good unit, but IMHO, it's not "really easy to drive". I wish ppl would qualify such statements. It's not nearly as easy to drive as a stock clutch.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I agree...Exedy twin disc is not very easy to drive around with. I had one in my evo for 900 miles before I ripped it out and installed a ACT street disc. I dont drag my car and it has only about 40whp over stock. I prefer the drivability of my ACT. I had the exedy removed because I could not stand the chatter and in beltway traffic it was a nightmare.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 02:40 PM

Okay so in terms of abuse, which will hold more launches, exedy carbon single, exedy twin non carbon, or ACT?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well, on my other car i have a tilton twin disc, and in comparison the exedy really is easy to drive.

the pedal pressure is really light, and compared to a race clutch like the tilton twin, it does not have light switch on/off characteristics. maybe people having problems with it didn't have their clutch pedal adjusted correctly?

well, of course the exedy twin isn't going to be as easy to drive as a stock clutch, and i wasn't suggesting that, but i was able to drive my friends car w/o stalling the first try. keep in mind this is a car with huge cams, aftermarket efi, and large injectors.

the only thing that i don't like about the exedy is the noise that it makes with the clutch depressed. although its harmless and just comes with the territory of twin discs, it's a dead give away that your car has a modified clutch.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

What about the works stage 2 kit? Anyone running it, looks like exactly what I am looking for.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

bump. want to know more about the works clutch, anyone?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 07:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Have not tried these on and Evo, but the Kush-Lock was awesome on the turbo-ed/supercharged Honda's.

http://www.clutchnet.com/make/prodDesc.html

...notice they specifically speak of "...autocross, rally, pro rally, off road..."

Quick Reply: 1500$ Clutch Opinons