Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Defi Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no needle stays on and is last to go off after the backlight goes out... you can tell if they are in the correct port if you can adjust the illumination of the gauges with the up and down buttons in real mode... the port the bf gauges should plug into is the one on the far right of the control unit... mine were plugged into the wrong port and worked fine, recorded peak etc... just no illumination control and no extended shutdown... the look like the have a shutdown if they are plugged into the wrong port it's just not as long, or cool, as it is supposed to be... try tapping the clock, i think that's what they might have did on my install, as it's always on.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoisdream
hrmmmmmm i think i will go with the bf are they hard to install.....?

I choose the Defi-Link gauges over the BF. I liked the BF, but I didn't think they were worth the extra money for an opening ceremony. Plus the Def-Link gauges rule! Any Defi gauges you choose are great. Defi is awesome.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

cant help u wit ur problem. like ur defi, nice.where did u get ur climate control dash made or brought? looks better than a cheap din size gauge (aka 42 draft)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Well I figured it out for Eon, the directions say to plug into meter 1......but everyone on here says to plug into meter 2......plug into meter 2 and and bam everything works. Stupid instructions!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

LOL Never ever, EVER, trust Japanese instructions.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Lesson learned.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

What install instructions did you use? I'm having a hard time finding a good write up.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

All of my Defi's came with English instructions. I thought they were rather good too. For Control unit wiring I tapped into the radio harness for 12V constant and 12V ignition and illumination, there is something funky with the illumination wire and the voltage output, but it works. I sent the ground to a ring terminal and connected it to the radio chassis mounting bracket. If anyone wants wiring locations and colors (may be 2003 specific) send me a PM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
All of my Defi's came with English instructions. I thought they were rather good too. For Control unit wiring I tapped into the radio harness for 12V constant and 12V ignition and illumination, there is something funky with the illumination wire and the voltage output, but it works. I sent the ground to a ring terminal and connected it to the radio chassis mounting bracket. If anyone wants wiring locations and colors (may be 2003 specific) send me a PM.
I have the instructions that came with them, I was just wondering if anyone has done a detailed install write up. Thanks for the input.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
-were you able to get the gauges to dim? i have the link gauge and everything works fine but illumination does not dim w/ the lights. thanks
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 'ringmeister
-were you able to get the gauges to dim? i have the link gauge and everything works fine but illumination does not dim w/ the lights. thanks
At present my gauges don't dim with the lights. They don't really change brightness all that much anyway. But this is why I think it doesn't work properly. The Control Unit is looking for a 12V signal (per the manual), the illumination wire on the radio (pin 12, black/yellow), when referenced at a chassis ground gives anywhere from 0V to about 9V. This change occurs when moving the dimmer switch. The weird part is, at low brightness, the voltage reading is 9V and at high brightness the voltage reading is around 0V. So as my dash gets brighter, my CU gets darker.

I still want to check the cig lighter for its output, but a solution would be to use a relay in order to get the proper voltage signal to the CU, if it in fact does require the entire 12V.

Anyone know the output from the cig lighter?