Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Intercooler Piping???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Intercooler Piping???

I've been searching round the net and this forum and wanted to hear some new comments. Most of the posts are pretty old and outdated. HKS USA's site is not helpful for this item. So, here goes...

1) HKS Kansai IC Pipe kit is sweet, but requires modification to fit. I thought it was just a little dremmel work, but I read somewhere about capping off for anti'lag??? WTF?

2) Anyone have this setup with a review on the install for fitment and drivability issues?

3) What about the upper HKS piece found on the UK FQ's? Any US vender out there that can get a hold of them? Will it even work on a USDM EVO?

I want to run the stock intercooler for now, so these HKS peices MUST fit the stock IC and battery tray if I am going to purchase. I am in a little hurry, b/c my stock upper IC hose is rubbing against the fan shroud and slowly cutting thru.

Please, post away. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Ttt
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
Ttt

you are much better off with the evo8 hks one, the kansai needs to be modify to make it work since it is built for RHD.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Are you talking about this one from SP Engineering?

HKS I/C Pipe Kit Lancer EVO VIII 2003-on
[1302-SM005]$697.00
Click to enlarge
[img]images/INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT HKS.jpg[/img]
Click to enlarge

HKS Intercooler Pipe Upgrade kits, by design, increase the efficiency and performance over the factory intercooler pipe system. The application specific kits utilize mandrel bent metal pipes to replace the restrictive factory rubber or plastic intercooler pipes, which have the tendency to expand, come loose, or crank under boost conditions or due to deterioration. The use of the metal intercooler piping offers increased durability, consistent boost pressure, and an attractive appearance. Steady and/or higher boost pressure and improved response are typical gains from just installing the HKS intercooler pipe upgrade kits alone. Each HKS kit is designed to seamlessly integrate with the factory turbo and intercooler systems with the included aluminum or steel pipes, silicone hoses, stainless steel clamps, and other applicable hardware. Some applications offer polished aluminum piping and can be used with HKS intercooler upgrade kits. ***To Be Used With Stock Intercooler***

For more information, please visit this products webpage.This product was added to our catalog on Monday 15 December, 2003.

Last edited by GreedMOTO; Dec 26, 2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

^ what he said, but now in more detail. You need part #'s 13001-BM001 and 71001-XM002. That is the R type FMIC with all lower piping the other part # is for the USDM evo 8 upper intercooler piping that works with the stock batt. but you have to use the HKS ssqv bov.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=727
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I don't want the HKS r-type intercooler. That is waaaaaay to big for the stock turbo which I want to keep.

So far I have found some possibilities.

The HKS Kansai IC kit (has to be modded to fit)
The HKS IC kit posted above (don't think it has the upper ic pipe)
The FQ HKS piece (dont have a clue where to find it here)

Once again, I want to keep and use the stock intercooler for now. I am in a hurry 'cuz my upper IC pipe is rubbing on the fan shroud and its just a matter of time before it cuts thru.

Thanks again and keep posting!!!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:46 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

I have the HKS intercooler kit.

I can't comment on installation because I had a shop intall it for me. But AFAIK, it was quite "troublesome". One particularly niggling issue was fitting back the stock airbox; this piping kit is I think meant to be used with an open pod filter, so now my stock airbox is sitting a little bit askew.

Performance-wise, spool-up is slightly faster, boost goes up just a little bit (due to less restriction). Other than that, probably not worth the cost IMHO. It's a peace of mind though getting the stock rubber replaced with this hardy unit.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks GDB.....anyone else?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks GDB.....anyone else?
Bump for more comments!
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
are you gonna move the battery or get a mini battery kit, because all the ic pipe kits that work with stock bat are longer than they have to be. you wanna straight shot down to the intercooler for best results. i say this cuz the hks pipes are expensive (btw those pictures are worthless cuz that's not the real kit, i don't post pictures so i can't show what the real kit looks installed) and they might not even be the best, i'd say get fully custom piping after you have your intercooler sorted out.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:00 AM

I've been searching round the net and this forum and wanted to hear some new comments. Most of the posts are pretty old and outdated. HKS USA's site is not helpful for this item. So, here goes...

1) HKS Kansai IC Pipe kit is sweet, but requires modification to fit. I thought it was just a little dremmel work, but I read somewhere about capping off for anti'lag??? WTF?

2) Anyone have this setup with a review on the install for fitment and drivability issues?

3) What about the upper HKS piece found on the UK FQ's? Any US vender out there that can get a hold of them? Will it even work on a USDM EVO?

I want to run the stock intercooler for now, so these HKS peices MUST fit the stock IC and battery tray if I am going to purchase. I am in a little hurry, b/c my stock upper IC hose is rubbing against the fan shroud and slowly cutting thru.

Please, post away. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Maybe you might want to consider the Ralliart IC piping kit which require no modification for stock set up.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We installed an HKS Kansai pipe kit with no problems at all on an EVO7. The car was not equipped with ALS so most attributes of the car were identical to the EVO8 in that regard. Pics here on our site. They're available still.

http://www.dentsport.com/customers/evoVII/
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you run the JDM HKS piping kit you will need to run a smaller battery. I like it more than the US I/C kit. JDM kit has upper and lower piping all together.
Attached Thumbnails HKS Intercooler Piping???-hks-ic-closeup-1.jpg  
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
If you run the JDM HKS piping kit you will need to run a smaller battery. I like it more than the US I/C kit. JDM kit has upper and lower piping all together.
Do you have a part number and a vendor for that kit?

Works with the stock intercooler and turbo?

That looks exactly what I wanted......
Old Jan 2, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah that was the kit i was talkin' about, see how it's longer than it has to be? now see, this person has their battery relocated too, so if you can picture this, the ic pipe should be going WAY under the intake... but i mean... that's only if you're a stickler for efficienty, because see, you can get the hks clamps and silicon cups and connectors, and you can get real high quality fabbing done to YOUR standards... and it's still paychecks cheaper than hks kit.