Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed my cams and head studs today...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my cams and head studs today...

You know, i decided to do it myself. Usually i dont work with aluminum. Ime a Caterpillar mechanic and cant torque anything less than 100 ft lbs. I strip the hell out of aluminum. Just not used to being "dainty" with wrenching. Anyways. the ARP's were easy. Take off the valve cover and do them in sequence from the service manual. 0 issues. Then the cams. I started following the how to i found here. Easy job. Hardest part was finding the stupid rubber plug so you can insert the tensioner too. That took an hour. (**** me off). The caps needed help comming off. Dang, sure does seem like there isnt much clearance fitting that tight. Oh well. Fumbled around with the new cam gears. Got them on. I went with the Fidanza's. I think they were hybrids. When you line up the Evo hole, the scale is at the 3 o'clock!! WTF Shouldnt they be on top??. Oh well. what do you expect for cheap. I used 3 different torque wrenches. All was easy. took 5 hours total. Ime meticulas. I double check alot. Bared the engine over 3 times and rechecked the timing. All good. Started it. Ran like stock. WTF??? I thought 272's were supposed to be rough. After warm up, it ran a little choppy. I mean very little. I was gonna do the -4, -1 thing and it dont need it. I used to have 18.5hg at idle warm. Now ime at 12.5hg at idle. I think they sound a little different. I dont know if they require breakin or not. Also can anyone tell me which way is retard and advance on the gears as you face them looking at the marks?? RRR
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

if you want a crazy sounding idle do -1in and -3ex, the -4in and -1ex is best for topend with a smooth idle. Even changing them back to 0in and 0ex they will get loopy.

When adjusting the gears think about which way the moto moves, the crank moves in a clock wise position so moving then clock wise would but positive timing and moving then counter clock wise would be negative timing. This is looking at the gears from the pass side view.

Be vary careful adjusting your gears becuase the bolts will strip or twist off.

Good luck
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

say the head bolts from arp were easy to install huh how long do you think it took you not including takeing off the valve cover?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:35 PM
Account Disabled

Here is a quick link from the How-To installs from who else but "ME".hope it helps ya out
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75639
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

time without the valve cover about 1.5 hrs.