Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrade Path for U.S. EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claudius, Assuming no hard launches, how much horsepower can the stock clutch take? Also what clutch (es) works well for track days (not drag racing) etc.?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:27 PM

If Previous Evo Parts r able to go on the US Version..u should check out http://www.lancerevoclub.com... theres an upgrade path on there for all previous evo gen.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks EVO8urWRX...Good stuff!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 07:07 PM

We currently sell products for the wrx and mp3/protege5 such as turbo upgrades and turbo kits. We fabricate and plan on making turbo upgrade kits with the a bigger turbo (20 or 25g) stainless oil lines, bigger injectors and a fatty downpipe for the new evo.
We are just awaiting for the arrival of the evo and will feverishly get to work

Last edited by terry@spool; Jan 12, 2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Terry, Please include us road racers/ autocrossers in you upgrade plans. A set-up that spools super fast with a better than stock (75-100hp!) top end pull. Please!
Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:32 PM

Good Info...

But heres what I would suggest.(I'm thinking power on a small budget.)

As far as power upgrades: First step is Exhaust, then Air-intake, then Boost controller(preferably Blitz...They spike less), then clutch, (Then you start talking money) 18G or 20G turbo(Up the boost), upgrade fuel system (Injectors, Rails, Pump etc. etc) And lastly intercoolers.

(There will probably be more trick stuff coming out for the EVO but they will all be variations of above.)

As for Handling.

Most people will be satisfied with the handling and not do a thing, but for those that are'nt.

Very simple- Tein. Anything less then that is obsolete, and not worthy of an EVO. It would be like chucking out a factory M3 suspension for Ground Control.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by superGTO

As for Handling.

Most people will be satisfied with the handling and not do a thing, but for those that are'nt.

Very simple- Tein. Anything less then that is obsolete, and not worthy of an EVO. It would be like chucking out a factory M3 suspension for Ground Control.
I've seen people do that.

Any thoughts on just putting on springs to lower it, I hate messing with a good thing, but I also hate fender gap.

Also one of the first things to be replaced should be the BOV, it's the same as a 2G eclipse, so it's a piece of crap plastic that doesn't hold more than around 14 PSI.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by superGTO

As for Handling.

I have to disagree. I heard that the ohlins suspension is well worth it if you can shell out the cash.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Guack007
I have to disagree. I heard that the ohlins suspension is well worth it if you can shell out the cash.
Can't agree more! And they exist right now for the EVO 7, so there is a good chance to have them for the EVO 8 right away too. And, price wise they are cheaper than Penskes that I have on my car almost twice, so they might not be that bad for the EVOs.

Fedja
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Also one of the first things to be replaced should be the BOV, it's the same as a 2G eclipse, so it's a piece of crap plastic that doesn't hold more than around 14 PSI.

And you base your assumption on what exactly ??!?!?!? I don't think you've driven an Evo, have you? Doesn't seem like it. How can it be a piece of crap when it holds more than 14 PSI stock. In fact it holds 16-17 held and 19 peak STOCK. It can go higher than that too.

And by the way, the stock valve is not a Blowoff valve (BOV). It's a Bypass valve. Very different things.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

wrc4ever...id just like to tell you that i think you have the most beautiful car on this forum...my jaw dropped as soon as i looked at your pictures.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Guack007

I agree as well... I consider Ohlins to be in the same catagory as tein.

I'm talking about people ruining there stock setup just for a SUPER dumped look. The car might look crazy dumped, but it probably handles like worse then stock.

I have a GTO TT (VR4) and I've been tempted to lower my car several times. but I have Electronic Controlled Suspension. With a push of a button I can have a soft touring style ride, or I can have a sport (Better grab a oh **** handle!) aggresive ride.

Now even though I have a world of fender gap, I know that if I lower my car, it will look good, but handle like crap... my ecs will still think the suspension is at stock height.

(The above statement is for VR4 models only-Base and SL models can scrape the floor if they wanted too.)

My only true option is 18 or 19 inch rims and MAYBE a 1 inch spring drop.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:09 PM

WRC4ever... I don't think he should have said the stock bypass valve sucked, but if you were to go to an open atmosphere BOV (HKS SSBV style) you WILL notice increased boost response (Which will give a feeling of more power and better acceleration). That goes to whether it's a Supra TT/GTO TT/ Skyline/ or EVO.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Path for U.S. EVO